Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

XPpro and XPhome should be equivalently stable. Crashes generaly result from minor hardware problems (overheating, PSU, dodgy RAM) and dodgy drivers. The operating system itself is stable, or as close as M$ products come to stable.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #12
Link
Jack Burton

OK. The problem is not solved yet, as I've found out. It's not a famous blue screen error, it's a light blue screen with the Windows XP logo in the top right corner, performing a set task. It doesn't say anything about computers being turned off badly or something close, so my guess is that it is a checked box, but I have no clue where I should disable this option.

It is indeed NTFS control something, and it says something about system recuperation. I don't know why, as I just turn it on from zero activity. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] Please help me!

P.S. I haven't installed any hardware of late, so that should't be the problem.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:44 AM   #13
Link
Jack Burton

BUMP! I think I may have found it with a little help (after looking for ages!) from the Microsoft website.

Apparently there's a system control which you can turn on and off.. Dunno if I've done the right things by switching it off, so maybe you guys could lend me a hand in this one?

PLEASE HELP! [img]graemlins/scream.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2003, 04:27 PM   #14
Link
Jack Burton

BUMP BUMP!!

OK the feature turned off didn't help a friggin' thing [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] I'm desperate now, because this problem of mine is not solved yet. There supposedly is an error on one of my disks (either C, D or E). I don't know which one, but I do know that there *is* an error on it, because the computer told me there was one, when I re-ticked the box of the 'System Recovery' which I checked (read my last post).

HELP!! [img]graemlins/scream.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] I really want this to be over, because I don't want to format my computer again..
Old 10-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #15
Link
Jack Burton

OK [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] No one seems willingly enough to help me out here, so I tried myself. I found out that I probably have a registry fault of somekind. What my computer does, in detail, is:

- It starts up normally up to the normal Windows XP Professional loading screen (with the logo and the moving blue blocks in the screen).
- Then it suddenly goes to a lightblue screen where it says that 'a consistency check is needed on one of the partitions of my hard disk' Then it runs chkdsk to correct the problem, but it never fixes it because it keeps coming back.

I looked this up on the Microsoft website, and found out it was an acknowlidged bug on the Windows NT 4.0 system (what the hell is that?!). I don't know how to fix it though, and am certainly not gonna mess up with the registry (where the fault supposedly is) without any good advice from someone who knows something about the whole thing.

HOPE THIS WILL HELP!! NOW PLEAAAASE (pretty please?) HELP ME! [img]graemlins/scream.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2003, 01:13 PM   #16
andrewas
Harper

Not that I get intenesely frustrated when people do this or anything, but if you've found and refer to something on the microsoft site, it is helpful if you link to it, rather than leaving people to wade through technet.

I think I found something similar to what your talking about:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Which leads us to:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;307545

And if you are going to do this, print off the instructions and follow them to the letter.

However, that seems like overkill to me. Try running chkdsk manual with the /R option. AS in - start->run->cmd

chkdsk /R

And then you will probably have to reset your computer. Might just work.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:17 PM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

Yes, of course [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img] Sorry 'bout that Andrewas [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for helping out (or at least trying!)
Old 10-12-2003, 02:06 PM   #18
Link
Jack Burton

OK. Another update on my side: My computer is friggin' killing me here! It's still f*cked up and frankly I am REALLY getting tired of it.. I cannot use System Recovery for some whacko reason, so I cannot go back to a previous (good) setting.
So what do I need to do now? Use your overkill method (which I've done before, don't worry) andrewas? Problem is I don't have the (needed) Windows XP CD Rom, 'cause that one's with my parents, and I won't be seeing them anytime soo...

Any other thoughts? Maybe the "System Recovery" not working is a new clue...?

EDIT: The checkdisk/r method didn't work as well- it says:

"Cannot process chkdsk because the volume is being used by another proces. Do you want this volume to be controlled when the computer restarts?"
Both yes and no won't work. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

[ 10-12-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Link ]