Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-20-2002, 10:04 PM   #1
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Seems like the Bali Bombers weren't just doing it for kicks; they got paid for it and all... News Story
Old 11-20-2002, 11:14 PM   #2
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Ideaology and Religion are usually the mask that cowardly killers like to use.
I believe the truth is these people are motivated solely by greed and hate.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
SirTristram
Manshoon

That is absolutely terrible!
Old 11-21-2002, 01:42 AM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

That's pretty sad... but a daily aspect of life. it doesn't have to be, but sometimes we just have to face the music that life isn't perfect, i think things like this happen to challange us and make us prove ourseles worthy of a greater cause...
Old 11-21-2002, 01:53 AM   #5
Slizerio

That is not worth it! They are insane!
But notice howthe media blamed Osama Bin Laden as soon as it happened? The media is getting a bit paranoid.

Old 11-21-2002, 07:25 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Slizerio:
The media is getting a bit paranoid.
"getting"? It is only a matter of time till they will link Al Qaida back to Pokemon, as well as the Eurovision Songfestival, Microsoft, Harry Potter, the worldwide success of Anastacia, Ja Rule, Shakira and Puddle of Mudd and the ever increasing number of dumb right-winged politicians.

I mean, there's gotta be *some* sort of despicably evil mastermind behind all of that? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

[ 11-21-2002, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 11-21-2002, 08:21 AM   #7
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Slizerio:
The media is getting a bit paranoid.
"getting"? It is only a matter of time till they will link Al Qaida back to Pokemon, as well as the Eurovision Songfestival, Microsoft, Harry Potter, the worldwide success of Anastacia, Ja Rule, Shakira and Puddle of Mudd and the ever increasing number of dumb right-winged politicians.

I mean, there's gotta be *some* sort of despicably evil mastermind behind all of that? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Al Qaida... Al Queda... Al Queida... we can't spell it - thats why its so scary!
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-21-2002, 08:47 AM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Al Qaida... Al Queda... Al Queida... we can't spell it - thats why its so scary!
Well the spelling problems come from the people who are responsible for translating the language, there seems to be no real hard and fast rule for spelling when translating from arabic to english. I can't tell you how many ways I saw "Kadhafi" spelled during the 80's.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:54 AM   #9
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Al Qaida... Al Queda... Al Queida... we can't spell it - thats why its so scary!
How is it properly spelled, anyways? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
When I enter some of the terms into google, I get this...

Al Qaida - 252,000 results
Al Qaeda - 535,000 results
Al Queda - 23,100 results
Al Queida - 721 results
Al Quaida - 20,200 results
Al Queida - 90 results

At CNN they use Al Qaeda, at the BBC Al-Qaeda. Here in the Netherlands they mostly use Al Qaida. The plot is thickening...

edit: and yes, of course I know you're right about that, MagiK. It varies from language to language and from people to people how it's translated.

[ 11-21-2002, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 11-21-2002, 09:11 AM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

My guess is that the media alters the spelling to give more accurate pronounciation. [img]smile.gif[/img] Back to the topic then. Killing people this way is despicable whether you get paid or not.

Blaming it on Islam (or using Islam as an excuse) is dumb and silly. There is no other religion that preaches peace as Islam does. Of course interpretation is everything in this case. And a final note. Christianity has had its share of violence too. That brings me back to power. Itīs in my power to do this, therefore I shall for all injustices made to me. Using my people instead of me is silly. I donīt think most muslims are planning to kill innocent people...