Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #41
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I just got a new PC and upgraded from W98 to XP w/SP2. Under 98 I never had a virus or suffered from an attack and only had one case of spyware due to user error

So how does a fellow like me who's programing expirience is Basic ( circa 1985) and Scripting for NWN plug these reported holes in Windows XP?

Does the firewall with my router and the software firewall I use do the job, in addition to being overly cautious about email attachments and using spyware killers like adaware and SBS&D, ect.?

What in reality and in lay-terms should I be worried about?
- One smart thing you're already doing is self-auditing... being overly cautious with email attachments (I don't open em... EVER).

- Don't cruise the internet using the administrator account (most people do). Set up an account with "user" access and that will help. If you're feeling adventureous you can muck around with file permissions to limit the access your browsing user has to various directories (readonly access limits the mischief bad software can do).

- A Hardware firewall helps a LOT (as long as it's set up properly, double check the docs and online help/forms for your firewall to make sure your setup is solid),

- Keep XP up to date, turn on the auto-updates if they aren't already.

- Get a good virus package (there's a lot of reviews on the net) and adware scanners. (Adaware and Spybot)

- Give Firefox a try for browsing, IE's tight integration with windows (stupid idea of Microsoft's IMO) makes it a vulnerability. There are some things I don't like about it (like the fact that I can't get google toolbar like functionality) but it's free, compact, and about as reliable as IE (judging from the number of crashes I experience of each).

Most of these things don't require much work but will help a lot... but the most important thing is common sense... no email attachments, never install anything that "pops up" during browsing, keep your updates, antivirus signatures, spyware/malware signatures up to date and scan regularly.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:27 AM   #42
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
like the fact that I can't get google toolbar like functionality
Sure you can
Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 AM   #43
Azeral
Manshoon

[quote]Originally posted by LennonCook:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:

Longhorn = the next generation of Windows. It was originally going to debut this year (maybe last?), but MS have delayed it. Last I checked, it was going to be atleat 2007 before we even see a glimpse of BETAs. It has alot of security updates (supposedly), and some stuff about digital rights management. That is, preventing you from using CDs or play MPEGs unless you pay the author money and they pay MS money.
There is a BETA version of longhorn that is avabile but you cannot change anything in it. All you can do it look at it. But there is a BETA out and it has been out for months now.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #44
andrewas
Harper

A beta version of a software is a functional version released to (selected) users so that it can be tested and useful feedback gathered for release.

If you can just look at it, its not a beta.

Anyway, link? All I can find is articles stating windows longhorn beta wont be out in 2003 ... wont be out it 2004 .. not till late 2005 ...

[ 01-11-2005, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #45
Thoran
Galvatron

There is a longhorn client preview available on msdn, it includes a pre-alpha version of longhorn. I don't know if it's available for general download but if you're an msdn subscriber you can get it in the subscriber downloads section. It is the Longhorn build (Build 4074) provided at the 2004 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC).
Old 01-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #46
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:

I'm definitely going to check out Openoffice. Gotta love free stuff that is as good and versatile as the pay stuff!
A little note of warning when you want to exchange documents with MS office users it might be that the formatting looks really different especially in files with complex structures. The 2.0 version which is coming out one of these months I hear is supposed to be a lot better (there are daily builds but I'm not sure if these are for windows and they're not yet as stable I think).