Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-27-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
cav_again
Manshoon

I'm fairly experianced when it comes to playing (my brother has a few guitars that I play on).

So I've decided to buy my own (most of my friends play too, bass, guitar, drums, and keyboard, etc. But don't get me wrong, I've got no delusions of playing in a band). I just enjoy playing.

But I'm not sure what to get, as I know different kinds of guitars tend to be better for different kinds of music. I enjoy all kinds of music (from Hank Williams to Bob Dylan, the Beatles to InFlames), and I like to play a little bit of everything. If I had to pick something, I'd like a sound similar to Jimi Hendrix.

Which is why I'm leaning toward a Fender Stratocaster (mainly what Hendrix used), or the off-brand Squier Stratocaster (aside from price, what's the difference?). But, I was told by an experienced friend that Fenders suck for palm muting (he mostly plays just heavy metal though), but I don't know. So, I'm interested in absorbing any information from yall. I'm sure there's gotta be some guitar players here.

thanks
Old 10-27-2004, 02:51 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by cav_again:
Fender Stratocaster
My best friend is a heavy Guitar player, and that guitar is number 1 on his wish list, he is a Heavy metal person too, so either he has no idea, or your friend has no idea. lol, probably my friend, but anyway. I would say go for the Stratocaster.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:19 AM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

Strats are nice. Don't overlook the telecaster either for a more blues sound than rock. The best thing you can do is just play some different kinds in a store, distorted, overdriven, and whatever else your pleasure. The clerks may appear annoyed, but who cares? haha

Fenders are quite common, but depending on how *good* of a guitar you want and how much you want to pay, I'd advise against getting anything with Squier on it. It's the budget version, and after you play for awhile, apparently you'll know the difference (I certainly don't know first-hand, just what I hear). Squiers are a little inside joke among guitar players for whatever reason, but other Fenders are well respected. Some turn their nose up at Ibanez too, but they're common as well (for good reason according to one of my friends).

For less common but also respectable guitars, Rickenbacker and BC Rich generally make good instruments: Rickenbacker is common in good ole rock n roll, and BC Rich is common in metal.

There are more kinds than I even care to know about, and people's choices are usually very personalized - at least by the time they get their 2nd instrument.

I don't play though hehe. I play that other instrument Fender is known for, the one he invented: the electric bass. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've got a BC Rich Warlock 5-stringer, but rest assured, I know plenty of guitarists who play various genres.

And do yourself a favor - buy another set of strings for inevitable breakage [img]smile.gif[/img] Have fun!

[ 10-27-2004, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Old 10-28-2004, 01:49 AM   #4
cav_again
Manshoon

yeah, my friend (same one mentioned above) loves his Ibanez, so that might explain some of his distaste for Fenders.

Even though I still don't know what the technical differences are, I've decided to drop the extra cash on a full on Fender.

thanks for the info.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:54 AM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Yadayada, Fender, yadayada.

Want a REAL guitar? Buy a GIBSON LES PAUL!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:18 AM   #6
Lucern
Quintesson

Also a good guitar by all accounts, but you see what I mean by highly personalized? hehe

now the question is, what kind and color Cav_Again?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Fenders=average. Not that amazing IMO. Very common. What is your price range? BC's=ok, although not my style, they are kinda gothic I think. Rikenbacher's are cool, but kinda pricey. Since it's your first guitar I wouldn't recommend one.

Personally I would say for got a les paul. They are really nice and I love to play my one. It seems to fit your music choice and I'm sure you would like it.

But hey, it's all about individual preference. Just go into your local guitar (or music) store and ask to try out a selection of guitars that you like, play about with them and decide which suits you most. That is the best way.

And good luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]