Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #31
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Uhm...I never suggested or said anything about parents having their children "fixed"...that was Meg. I'd never even *heard* of such a thing.

But LOL@ "and you get used to the hair's after a while.."

Although, I *did* play "mother" to the kittens when it was time to wean them off of momma cat. I did the feeding (through a syringe when not in a dish), I just didn't do the *cleaning*. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #32
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
How can you possibly even consider mutilating an animal against it's will? How would you feel if your parents had done that to you when you were a child, merely because it was more convinient?
One of our cats, a not-too-small moggy (he's the biggest cat I've ever seen). The previous owner didn't want him, and her husband had picked him up as a stray (although these people thought it was a girl). We looked underneath, although it seems to hurt the cat to do anything like that, and Mum thinks he has been desexed very early, in someone's back yard. Whoever did it likely used very crude instruments, and we doubt they would have used anesthetic. We now have to pick him up in a very certain way, because to touch him too close to that area seems to hurt him quite alot. This is most certainly mutilation, in that it would have caused quite a bit of pain and it has had lasting damage other than the intent of the operation. When a vet does it, on the other hand, they take specific steps to avoid this. This would have been 'merely convenience', since there would have been no cost involved (except for the cat's health, which they obviously had no regard for). People do not get their pets 'fixed' at a vet because of convenience. We do it because we think it is the best scenario for the pet in the long run.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #33
Absynthe

Some info on the why's and how's of spaying / neutering pets:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/wh..._your_pet.html
http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimal...teryourcat.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P.../spaypage.html

If you have any questions about the process or it's relevance, please look through the links above. The overpopulation and resultant slaughter of cats and dogs in this country is reason enough to spay and neuter.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #34
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Just out of curiosity, Lennon, but have you taken the cat to a vet to have him looked over?

If not, please do so. It may be that he had a "backyard" neutering. *shudder*

But he could also have a blockage, a urinary infection or maybe even ate something that is stuck in his intestines.

Just thought I'd mention it...
Old 12-09-2004, 10:09 PM   #35
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Absynthe! Where on earth have you been?

Welcome back! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #36
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
How can you possibly even consider mutilating an animal against it's will? How would you feel if your parents had done that to you when you were a child, merely because it was more convinient?
G'day Dirty Meg. I'm not necessarily doing it out of choice, although if I did have the choice I would probably do it. My reasons are below:

1. it's required by law here in OZ if you don't have a breeders license; and

2. I've seen first hand what happens when cats breed out of control. my grandmother in Manila has 40+ cats in a small house, because there's no law against desexing, she just keeps taking them in, the cats just keep on breeding, strays come in, breed, climb over the walls, and start to live under the roof, and my cousins have taken to giving the litters of unwanted kittens away in the markets (where some of them go to good homes but others probably end up as part of some poor person's soup).

To Sythe's point, it's nice to be idyllic and romantic about it and wish you could give the kitties away but usually that means you need to have friends who want or who can have a kitty in the first place. In my case, all my relos are either in Manila or in the US. Bit hard to fedex a kitten to them. If Mikka had a litter here, either we kept it ourselves, twisted the arms of a couple of friends to take one or brought them to the shelter, where they would be advertised for a couple of weeks and then euthanased if homes couldn't be found for them.

Unfortunately there's a bigger picture involved here.

[ 12-09-2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 12-09-2004, 11:37 PM   #37
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:

Absynthe's absence is my fault he had a problem with his profile (bugger changed his email address to one which didn't exist ) and I had to fix it for him. Unfortunately I forgot the first time. Imagine my surprise when someone named "Help Please" PMd me reminding me. He ws very patient. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2004, 12:46 AM   #38
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:

Absynthe's absence is my fault he had a problem with his profile (bugger changed his email address to one which didn't exist ) and I had to fix it for him. Unfortunately I forgot the first time. Imagine my surprise when someone named "Help Please" PMd me reminding me. He ws very patient. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Hiya aleph, it's nice to be missed... I was off the boards for a while as I changed jobs and had all and sundry other things happening, and then when I tried to update my email address I buggered it up. Memnoch was kind enough to reset it for me in between epic battles with the Alfa salesmen and acquiring his new baby Mikka.
BTW, Mem, I won't indulge in thread necromancy, but I seem to recall recommending the Subaru..? **ducks**

Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 AM   #39
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I got Mikka back, she's looking a bit dazed but I'm surprised she's so mobile still, walking around, climbing on her scratching post (though she's not doing anything too energetic thank God). If that were a human having an operation we'd be on our back for days, eh.

She actually managed to get out of her carrying case in the car and I couldn't get her back, so I ended up having to carry her on her back (while she was grabbing at my chest for security) all the way up from our underground carpark.

One thing - they shaved off all her beautiful long fur on her stomach!!!!! I wonder how long it will take for that to grow back...

Old 12-10-2004, 04:47 AM   #40
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Few week's and she should by hairy again..

and men who have their cords tied off can be up and around quite soon afterwards..

It's so much more common for cat's to have it done that it's been perfected over time, think keyhole apendectomy as a human equivilient.

*fingers got out of place and pressed tab instead of q*

[ 12-10-2004, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Q'alooaith ]