Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #31
Animal
Gold Dragon

You don't necessarily need to install the absolute newest, just the newest that works the best for your particular card.

If your system is running fine, then leave it be and don't re-install drivers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

The slower boot times are a result of the OS loading more services such as the firewall, updated wireless support etc... You can reduce your boot time by unloading and services and start-up programs that you don't need.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:08 AM   #32
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
You don't necessarily need to install the absolute newest, just the newest that works the best for your particular card.

If your system is running fine, then leave it be and don't re-install drivers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

The slower boot times are a result of the OS loading more services such as the firewall, updated wireless support etc... You can reduce your boot time by unloading and services and start-up programs that you don't need.

What fix? Didn't do anything.

Apparently my system has a mind of its own (I don't know if that's a good thing or bad). I always do my defrag and such, and after a couple of startups and shut downs, it's back to normal, like nothing happened. SP2 is great... I have no problems with it. Nothing conflicted (haven't tested everything yet though, but then the core components that people usually rant about are intact), and I like the new security center and right now, it's updating again. Gotta love these.

So far so good. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 AM   #33
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but there was good info here - I'm about to install SP2 as well, it's been sitting in my tray for the last three months but I've been holding off. I have a question first though - if I do a System Restore snapshot now and do my install and it buggers itself up for whatever reason, I can roll back my system to the snapshot with no ramifications?

Old 12-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #34
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just bumping up before I do this...

Old 12-17-2004, 10:11 PM   #35
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but there was good info here - I'm about to install SP2 as well, it's been sitting in my tray for the last three months but I've been holding off. I have a question first though - if I do a System Restore snapshot now and do my install and it buggers itself up for whatever reason, I can roll back my system to the snapshot with no ramifications?
Hmmm...legal thread necromancy?

No problems, in fact you can uninstall SP2 whenever you want as long as you choose to back up your files previous to install.

As long as you are running some good hardware, you won't have problems. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 01:28 AM   #36
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Yep.

As long as your system is updated also. No worries if you are up-to-date.

So far, no problems with SP2.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:14 AM   #37
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I installed it and it seems ok - the only thing it stuffed up was my Black Ice - I tried the GRC Leaktest and other firewall tests against the SP2 firewall and it came up with the same results as Black Ice - everything stealthed except for Port 113 and obviously it doesn't block outbounds (doesn't worry me so much as Black Ice was the same). Anyone else using the SP2 firewall?