Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2002, 06:35 AM   #31
Borvik
Drow Warrior

I didn't live anywhere else so far. Therefore I'm not so sure about this
Old 12-05-2002, 10:20 AM   #32
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Tell you what Norom, you can keep it. There seem to be too many places that limit important little things like free speech. But hey, at least you can get your government heroin so, why worry about not having the right to free speech.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:24 AM   #33
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
Tell you what Norom, you can keep it. There seem to be too many places that limit important little things like free speech. But hey, at least you can get your government heroin so, why worry about not having the right to free speech.
I don't know what kinda school you went to dude, but in Spain IS freedom of speech, as is in the rest of western Europe.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:58 AM   #34
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Of course you don't always have to agree with US politics, but a certain number of people ALWAYS seem to disagree with them, just because they are the US, and that doesn't make sense to me. They are not the enemy you know.
Thanks johnny and Borvik! It's nice to know that even when people don't agree with US politics we aren't always looked at as the Great Satan or the enemy. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 12-05-2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 12-05-2002, 11:00 AM   #35
Grungi
Banned User

eh? someone said american citizens dont like europeans? who and why? every american i known has liked europeans, admittedly online american kiddies slag off everyone but americans but thats mainly on online games and they are probably 10 with bigotted idiotic views, i never seen any mature americans dislike europeans, anyone on this forum seriously not like europeans? if so please put your reasons, would be intersted to see them.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:07 AM   #36
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Of course America and the EU are bound to clash - they're the two biggest kids on the economic/power/politics block. Duh!

I also just looovve the irony of this often repeated scenario on this forum:

EU Aloof: "The US is thought to be pretty sucky, and here's why..."

US Homegrown: "Yeah, like, we care. Whatever. You suck too."

EU Aloof: "How arrogant and rude to not admit you suck and care about it. You're supposed to know you're less that WE are, damn you."

[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

I got it - we ALL suck.
But, in the end, the guy with the biggest sledgehammer wins, so however much the US sucks, you still gotta deal with it.

{edit: even MORE ranting- yeah }
As the US Homegrown type (whether the hardcore US Homegrowns realize it or not), I must say that we've been thumbing our noses at your "old world" for a few centuries now, so at least we're consistent. Moreover, the US has constantly been taking strides in making the world a better place - whether intentional or not - by harshly influencing the growth of democracy, constantly being a cutting-edge technology developer (even if for our own pecuniary gain), and having the most advanced legal system on the planet (note that UK still has no "fundamental rights" constitution and Parliament can trump any citizens rights if it specifically intends to).

Sorry.... going way offtopic.

[ 12-05-2002, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 12-05-2002, 11:29 AM   #37
Grungi
Banned User

the uk is one of the freest countries in the world, even idiots who break the official secrets act barely get cracked down on and still can tell their story to all and sundry and appear on topical news quizzes (david shaylor [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) so its hardly like our civil liberties are clamped down on, nor does that give any right for an american to insult or look down upon a european, i dont think any of us are livign in the old world, save that for 3rd world countries, were all right up to date, and if your going on technology try asian countries like japan who are way ahead of america, 51 percent of homes in korea have broadband access compared to 10 percent in the uk, is that really a good reason for them to think were backward? i think not.

anyhows were not talking about america and the eu on trade, this is about the normal people, why does europe hate america and why does america hate europe? or dislike or whatever? why is there bad feeling there? im certainly unaware of bad feeling from americans to europeans, though americas arrogance is constant that they are better than the rest of the world, but thats standard, and most countries think they are the best, its called patriotism, loving your country.

dont go to americas legal system either, you have people getting 500,000 dollars off mcdonalds for spilling hot coffee on themselves for godssake, if thats not a fcked up legal system what is? uk is little better nor some eu countries such as the thief who broke in fell in someones pond they were digging and sued successfully for damages after breaking his leg, i mean ffs whats that about, im sorry but atm theres no such thing as an advanced legal system, they are all as bad as the next, least if a thief is caught in some countries his hands are chopped off, thats a bit more like it, they wont offend again thats for sure [img]tongue.gif[/img]

eu aloof vs america homegrown? erm thanks for the attack there, its america with the arrogant attitude and your showing it here and now, far as im concerned were all equal, were all civilised countries and im happy to hang out with anyone from america, france germany wherever normally.

seriously is there any reason to look down on other countries? if you do your just proving yourselves to be arrogant and making yourselves a target for everyone else, only countries i look down on are ones like iran who really fck with peoples rights esp women. Were all western civilised countries so lets work together eh?
Old 12-05-2002, 11:33 AM   #38
norompanlasolas

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
lol... oookay... whatever you say. anyways, i'll just stay here in sunny old beautiful madrid with its 600 year old history, and you can stay in... eeeh... wherever it is that you are. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

regarding the "fight" between americans and europeans, thats just stupid. when you travel (and i travel a lot) some of the friendliest people you will ever encounter are americans. they are generally well educated, nice and like to party. so in my book that means they are ok!!! their only problem is that they get pissed drunk too easily, but that is only because of the watered beer they drink down there. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

edit: oh, and regarding the so called arrogant attitude, i have not met a single american in real life with that kind of pose. i think its a problem that appears only in internet. i repeat again, ive met all sorts of americans and they werent anything like that.

[ 12-05-2002, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: norompanlasolas ]
Old 12-05-2002, 11:39 AM   #39
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Moreover, the US has constantly been taking strides in making the world a better place - whether intentional or not - by... (edited by Barry the Sprout, for brevitys sake - its only really this bit I want to address) ...having the most advanced legal system on the planet (note that UK still has no "fundamental rights" constitution and Parliament can trump any citizens rights if it specifically intends to).

Sorry.... going way offtopic.
Just to bring this further off topic I wanted to answer this specific point. I don't disagree that the US has the most advanced legal system by the US's own standard of what advanced is - but then again thats only to be expected... right?

Why do you think that rights are necessarily the most advanced thing a government could give. Who decides what rights we have? Why do we have those rights? How do those rights differ from normal laws (not in practice, but in their theoretical grounding)?

Sorry TL, not to pick on you here but I really don't like people using terms like "rights" as an unquestionable good, as you seem to do in this section. Toi be honest though, the nature or rights and their inception is a whole different issue that should probably stay out of this thread. Shall we start a new one on it - its quite a good subject to discuss and it probably won't get too over heated.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 12-05-2002, 12:05 PM   #40
MagiK

I would worry a little more if I actually thought that the "average" man on the street were much more literate and intelligent than a sheep [img]smile.gif[/img]