Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-15-2001, 03:09 PM   #1
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

I need some advice and help killing Jon..I've tried various tactics, and he just kills me every time. I've tried having the max number of summoned critters out and immediately launching offensive spells, I've had my party run away and tried just cloudkilling him and his pet demons, and always with the same result- I kill off all his demons, but he just deathspells my party to bits while invisible...

After about the sixth time I was ready to take a sledgehammer to the CD-Rom. Various of my party members have invisibily purge and dispell illusion spells, but by the time they cast them, we're all dead. It's driving me nuts...I didn't take any of the offered items or keep that blackthorn sword, was one of those the key to killing him?

------------------
Playing the cutest li'l Chaotic characters since 1996.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:19 PM   #2
trux

First off, don't really focus on his demons.

Secondly, have you done battle preparations beforehand? Is everyone buffed, invisibile, have their contingencies and protection spells?

Thirdly, SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
When Irenicus transforms into the Slayer he regenerates FAST. You need to save your most damaging spells for after you've gotten all his spell protections removed and can affect the Slayer.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-15-2001, 03:28 PM   #3
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

All my party members tended to be protected to their best abilities, and improved invisible, as well as hasted when I start it out. *sigh* Unfortunately, 'top the best abilities' isn't saying much, as I preferred offensive magics to defensive. The most powerful defense spell in terms of magic-stopping power is Aerie's 'Spell Shield'..which doesn't do much against Irenicus, and only guards her.

It's starting to look like I should've scooted around and tried getting more XP before returning the lanthorn to those bloody elves...

------------------
Old 08-15-2001, 04:04 PM   #4
trux

what average party level are you at?

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-15-2001, 04:32 PM   #5
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

Around about level 16. I'm playing a human Ranger, and I've got Aerie, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, and Har'Daelis. Highest level spells any of them have is 7th...and I've not many of those. Didn't really like most of the spells I found through the quests and in stores.

------------------
Old 08-15-2001, 04:44 PM   #6
trux

ok...i was making sure you weren't a really low level, like 11 or something.

well, i could list you all the battle preparations i use when facing irenicus, but it probably wouldn't do you much good. the only thing i can tell you is to not give up, just keep trying and develop a strategy that works for you.

also, there are numerous walkthroughs and such on the net that outline many different strategies for taking down Jon - check those out if you need to.

other than this, just focus all efforts on Jon, use every defensive spell you have to protect your party, use all wands, potions and scrolls if you need to, have plenty of spells that will tear down Jon's spell defenses (this is key,) and hope for the best. good luck.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-15-2001, 04:54 PM   #7
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

Actually, I just rechecked my levs, half my party's at 13, not 17. And I'm continuing to try...about to alt+tab back in for the 14th attempt.

------------------
Old 08-15-2001, 05:06 PM   #8
Istaron
Banned User

My tactic:
Summon a Fiend. When you are casting it, open the final eye so irenicus somes out. the demon shold be ready when the battle begins. Now retreat with all your charcters to the souh. This will draw Irenicus demon to you, so you can concentrate on slaying them...
revive any killed characters when defeated them. Cast Pierce Magic/Shield, Breach lower resistance and so on Irenicus (the real, better use a True Sight first).
Then, it is Elementals and whatever you can tink of that goes!

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-15-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
deathknight
Drow Warrior

You should be able to kill Jon with that party but you will probably need prepare differently for the battle. Offensive magic isn't nearly as effective as magic that buffs up your own party or takes down the defenses of the enemy. First off I would say one of the most important spells you can have ready is true sight. This spell will dispell any invisibility that an enemy has each round that the spell is in effect. This is VERY helpful. Second off I would agree with the other posters who have said to concentrate on Jon. Forget the demons. A few summoned creatures can distract them if need be. Have all manner of dispelling stuff ready (ruby ray,breach,secret word are very important spells for my mages to have ready). Also don't be afraid to pull out the stops here using scrolls,wands etc that you have found along the way. There are some pretty powerful scrolls available to you that you might not be able to memorize but you could still use the scroll.
As for prep of the battle protection from evil 10' radius is big,I use chant & bless for big battles.defensive harmony is nice. Haste is a must and if you have improved haste use it (a dual wielding character that is specialized can get 6 attacks while improved hasted I believe). you might want to do resist fear (I cannot recall if any spells like symbol fear get flung around or not).
anyways instead of fling offensive spells with imoen I would strongly recommend that she be prepared to constantly tear down all of Jon's defenses. Your hasted melee guys should be able to do more than enough damage to kill him.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:26 PM   #10
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

I don't have the right spell to summon a fiend. Best I can do is an efreet, and he doesn't do so well...as to buffing up the party, with what spells? I don't really *have* any spells that I think are useful. I have haste, and the improved invisibility spells, chaos commands, which isn't even needed, since he doesn' take over my party and it doesn't seem to work against his stun attack...

I generally have level 3 monsters, and a lesser fire and air elemental waiting when I open the last eye, but they only distract Jon and his demons for about one minute.

What's really getting on my nerves is i'm not even sure how Irenicus is killing my character now. I've started making the party run away from the door, all the demons just stay up there, and only Irenicus himself comes after us- Just there's no way to attack the guy until he's taken out half my party and finally becomes visible inside that circle of fire and spell protections of his- and when he finally IS visible, my character lasts about one minute, then dies without any message telling me why or how..is this some kind of a bug maybe? because Irenicus was launching a spell at Imoen the last time I tried this, and though my character was about 5 yards *behind* Irenicus, she just suddenly dropped dead...

------------------