Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #21
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Blindy_Prophet...your signature is brilliant!

Congrats on impressing the hell outta me!
Sorry Off topic but what part?? The animated or my quote at the bottom? [/QUOTE]I also agree that is a great sig. I like the quote as well good job.

And I am sorry that I did not read the artical. I have such a hard time reading things about kids. Since I have had Sydney this stuff really hits home for me.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:27 AM   #22
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
check snopes.com this incident, tho widely reported, has never happened.
Thankyou for clarifing that, because that is horrific, i'm glad it's untrue.

Ontopic, well that's a horific thing. That woman that stole the beby will be beaten pretty badly with those cops though, if not killed. That country has so many problems, i hate news like that.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:48 AM   #23
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Maybe y'all in Europe know more about this, but I've heard that people are abducted in the street, put unconcious and taken into an alley to have their organs stolen! Human organs are big money on the black market. I also here that whoever is doing the surgery does an amazing job. They sew the people up, they don't let 'em bleed to death in the alley.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:48 PM   #24
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Propogating more urban legends, Variol? Usually they wake up in a bathtub of ice, not an alley...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #25
Grojlach
Zartan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Maybe y'all in Europe know more about this, but I've heard that people are abducted in the street, put unconcious and taken into an alley to have their organs stolen! Human organs are big money on the black market. I also here that whoever is doing the surgery does an amazing job. They sew the people up, they don't let 'em bleed to death in the alley.
Yes, it's a real threat here in Europe. It's very difficult finding our way among the organ stealers, baby eating communists, and vicious dragons.
Also, the European mainland is rumoured to be crawling with these:

Stay away while you can Variol, stay away and never look back!

[ 12-06-2004, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 01-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #26
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Where'd you get that crazy picture from?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #27
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Where'd you get that crazy picture from?
For shame! Someone here really needs to brush up on his 12th/13th century history.
But basically, it's an illustration (or actually a woodcut) that accompanied a 1481 reprint of "The Travels of Jan van Mandeville", depicting the "eye-witness reports" of European travellers who went to Asia and Africa and returned with all kinds of crazy stories of monsters they claimed to have seen; some of them the result of simply not being able to comprehend what they saw with their 12th century mindset (they likened Asians to dog-faced people, for instance), some of them based on rumours, wide imaginations, or just a bad case of trying to look more interesting than they were. Others simply made up entire travel-stories from beginning to end, probably because the gullible medieval mindset was not capable of telling the difference between fact and fiction in all this; especially considering the fact they would never go over to Africa or Asia themselves to check on these stories anyway.
I'd say it's a perfect example of the gullible nature of man, and how the unknown has always been scary, fascinating, magical, and/or potentially dangerous and the Promised Land at the same time - which didn't only result in things like xenophobia and religion, but to (sometimes retrospectively) hilarious mass-hysteria like the above, countless UFO reportings/abduction mumbo jumbo, or even petty soccer mom outrages in recent decades over microwaves and rock & roll music.

Still a pity I had to explain it, though. Basically, it was a more subtle way of saying "Yarr, there be monsters in Europe", which was my somewhat mocking response to your silly "it's-so-far-from-my-home-it-just-has-to-be-true" assertion that organ stealing is somehow a well known practice in Europe. Like Bungleau said, it's an urban legend.

[ 01-04-2005, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 01-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #28
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

This one does rank high among the lowest possible things that can sprout out of the human mind.....
Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #29
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Yes, it's a real threat here in Europe. It's very difficult finding our way among the organ stealers, baby eating communists, and vicious dragons.
Also, the European mainland is rumoured to be crawling with these:

Stay away while you can Variol, stay away and never look back! [/QB]
And don't forget the sea serpents in the channel... that's why they had to build the chunnel you know, too many ships being eaten.