Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-22-2001, 06:21 PM   #1
sinbad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

New to the game. What is the best char to create.
Old 11-22-2001, 06:39 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

we dont know you, what you like, how you play, or in fact anything that could help us answer this question in a fashion meaningful to you.

so ill tell you what my favorite char is instead [img]smile.gif[/img]

a fighter.a plain ordinary, god-like fighter.

you have tons of hp (so newbies find it harder to spontaneously die through not paying enough attention), lethal attacks in melee (and newbies alway end up in melee - it takes skill to avoid it) can be devastating at range as well, if you spend the proficiency points on missle weapons. i dont myself, let imoen et al take care of that.

you will of course not have any spells of your own, and no ability to find/remove traps. both of these are key to finishing the game and so you should make sure to take at least imoen and jaheria when you escape. minsc is useful to. none of these NPCs are hard to obtain.

the male/female question is irrelevant - except for romances it has no effect on the game.

race is slightly more important - each race has benefits for specific classes. for a fighter human, drwarf of half-orc. humans are good at everything, dwarfs get a CON bonus which equates to more hp, half-orcs get STR and CON which adds in some extra damage.

for a fighter char the important stats are STR, CON and DEX, for damage, health and AC respectively. max these out, and then put any extra points in CHA. WIS/INT are useless for a fighter. except for one point in chapter 6. but that dosent really matter, and if it does you can always boost INT with apotion or some such.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:15 AM   #3
Lorala
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Personally, I'm a big fan of bards. There are a couple of different bard kits that have their own strengths and weaknesses. The main reason I like them is because they're a little bit of every class. They can pickpocket like thieves, use almost all the weapons that a fighter can use, and they can still cast spells. (Plus, the bard song feature comes in really helpful sometimes...)

But like andrewas said, we don't know what you're like or what your style is, and the decision is really up to you.
Old 11-23-2001, 05:19 AM   #4
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Try several characters and see what you like. One strong point of BG2 is, that different characters get also some different quests. Itīs not only just playing everthing again with another class. For the beginning maybe a fighterclass is best, because you donīt have to bother with spells an other strategies too much.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:17 AM   #5
sinbad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks all for your input.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:26 AM   #6
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

I personally don't have much love for thieves. I find them to be a waste of a char, so I multied a Elf F/T and this has worked out pretty good. A decent fighter, but only allowed 2 prof pts in weapons, can wear armour even full plate +1 and do theiving(I thought it might be a glitch in the game) so all those annoying traps and locked chests are not a prob. And you still get the backstab.

[img]graemlins/warrior1.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2001, 11:48 AM   #7
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Keep in mind BG2 seems to be skewed slightly towards the MU, later fights in the game will be impossible without someone taking out the spell prots.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:44 PM   #8
Tom
Elminster

Mage ofcourse. Mages are the most powerful. They are a *must* for the game. How else are you going to turn off the enemies protections? Also, mages are the most fun to explore because of all the things they can do. Mages take more strategy to use than a fighter, because all a fighter has in there strategy book is, potion, swing, potion, swing. While a mage is, Mirror Image, Contingency, magic missles, stone skin, etc,etc.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:23 PM   #9
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Undead Hunter is a good choice!

Lots of lovely evil undead in BG2!

I personaly use a straight fighter!
Old 11-23-2001, 01:33 PM   #10
Sir Exxon
Zartan

My input would be a cavalier. They get extra bonuses while fighting dragons and demonic creatures.

see ya!