Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-11-2003, 03:24 AM   #1
DarkStar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First, I want to say: THANKS! To all of you that have welcomed me to this forum. It's a nice change for the normal treatment that newbies get! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I did have another quick question about changing classes. When is a good time to do it? I read somewhere you shouldn't change until you get all your spell levels. Does this mean EVERY spell for every level or one spell from your max level?

I have a Wizard that is level 13, and can pick from all levels of spells. I want to turn her into a WARLOCK. I'm not sure if I should now, or wait. I have a few of the high level spells but not all.

My understanding is that once you get that spell level you can still pick ANY spells you want even if you are no longer that class currently. Is this correct?

I also have a Priest that is level 13, I'm not sure what to do with her. She also can cast from all spell levels.

My party is currently:

Paladin, Ranger, Ninja, Samurai, Priest, Wizard

I'm just starting the third section of the game after Dragon Spire. Any ideas?

Thanks and have a great day!
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:33 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

The answer is difficult and, most likely, every W&W player gives you a different answer. so, there is my answer:

1. If you are only gaining by changing role then do it (almost) ASAP. Example: mage->warlock - change role immediately because the warlock inherits all mage capabilities and adds new ones: all magic schools are native for him and he gains Moon and Fiend magic. Another example: warrior->barbarian or rogue->barbarian - change role immediately because the barbarian is a warrior rogue, which combines all warrior and rogue capabilities. In both cases, you are losing no ability of your previous class.

2. Why only "almost". At low levels, you are gaining new levels quickly. Therefore, you can add a bit more spells in your spellbook, gain some training opportunities, and gain a few more skill and ability points by delaying the role change to about level 4 or 5 instead of changing role at level 1.

3. If you are losing some capabilities by changing role then try to minimize your loses first and then change role. The most important loss is the ability to learn new spells in the new role. Each role can divide magic schools into two groups: the native schools (the ones listed in your manual at the descriptions of the roles) and non-native schools (the rest of magic schools). You cannot learn new level 7 spells in a non-native school. Therefore, learn all level 7 spells in the school that becomes non-native after role change and then change role. At least, gain all level 7 spells, which you consider important. You will be able to gain lover level spells in a non-native magic school.
Note: the explanation above concerns learning new spells, not casting spells. If you already know the spell then you can cast it no matter what's your role, level or something else. A barbarian (no native magic schools) can cast level 7 spells from any magic schools even at character level 1 - if he already knows the spells.
Another exapmple: role specific traits. Some traits can be gained only by a particular role. If you want these traits then you must gain them first and then change role.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:24 AM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Once you have gained level one in any magic school you can continue to increase your knowledge in that particular school regardless of your role. Once you have attained a role that does not support a certain magic school you can only learn spells in that particular school if you have twice the level of the spell. I.e. in order to learn a sixth level stone spell as a ranger you would have to have level twelve stone magic. That means that you can never learn level seven spells in a non-supported magic school unless you have the enlightenment trait which again requires that you have been a zenmaster (from which role one rarely changes since it is eligible for learning all the spells). Also you cannot learn non-supported spells by invoking spellbooks. You can only learn them in connection with level-ups.

To find out which roles support which magic schools check Sazerac's table on Page three of the Best Tips. Beware, though, that although he states that the warlock is only eligible for learning moon and fiend magic, the warlock can atually in addition to that learn sun and stone spells. Sazerac also states that the bard is eligible for learning fiend magic in addition to moon magic. In fact it is not so. The bard was at some point during the programming meant to learn fiend magic, but that option was taken off the programme again. Now all that remains is a small "bug" which causes the bard to learn level one fiend magic but does not make the bard eligible for learning the school. That means that the bard can only learn up to level six fiend spells as mentioned above.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:59 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

The warlock. The description of this role in the manual is misleading, errorneous, and confusing. Therefore:

1. All magic schools are native to warlocks. Among others, a warlock can learn all level 7 spells at skill level 7 in the corresponding ...craft skills (and, of course, at character level 7).

2. When you become a warlock, you will gain only Moon and Fiend magic schools. Even if all magic schools are "yours", nobody will teach you the remaining magic schools and you will be able to use books of magic and get new spells during leveling up only in those magic schools, which you already know, i.e., Moon, Fiend, and the magic schools from your role history.
Keep this in mind if you want to develop a universal caster able to learn any spell. Such universal caster must be a warlock or a zenmaster. If you select a warlock, then you will need to get Spirit, Vine, Fire, and Stone magic first and then become a warlock. The warlock will get the remaining magic schools (Moon and Fiend) and become a universal caster. If you select a zenmaster, then you can forget all problems. A Zenmaster gets all magic schools on his promotion.
Note: Naturally, any character of any role can become an universal caster - but the character must learn all level 7 spells during his role history when the corresponding magic schools are "his".