Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 01:01 PM   #1
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Hello All,

I've had to replay a lot of battles after my characters were stunned or dazed or confused by various enemy wizard spells and such things as Umber Hulks.

I know there is a way to distract the Hulks in one particular case but is there a general countermeasure you can take to keep your characters mental state from deteriorating so? Some kind of protection from charming or confusion or dazing spell?

I had in mind something besides hitting the enemy spellcasters first and screwing up their spellcasting.

TIA
Old 07-25-2001, 01:03 PM   #2
Waluin

I recall a priest spell called "Greater Command". Look into it, I think that might help.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:43 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I think the 5th level Priest spell "Chaotic Commands" works well as a ward against confusion and chaos spells. Trouble is, it only affects 1 character. I also know there's a lot of items in the game you can pick up that make you immune to confusion and chaos. Lilarcor, the talking sword, is one of these.

Old 07-25-2001, 01:47 PM   #4
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

minor spell turning will also help as does minor globe of invulnerabilty. Dispel will mass solve any major problem.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:29 PM   #5
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DonkeyWan:
minor spell turning will also help as does minor globe of invulnerabilty. Dispel will mass solve any major problem.
Thank you all for your quick responses. This is one of my first postings, and I'd like to say how happy I am to be a new, very new, member of this community. Everyone seems very nice and so helpful. Thanks again,

Terence
Old 07-25-2001, 02:51 PM   #6
koz-ivan
Manshoon

other counter measures:

ager's hide armour, leather and sold by ribald (any char that can wear armour can wear this, it will protect you from confusion)

the talking sword, lillacor will protect from charm & confusion.

also always have a dispel magic ready, it will more than likely get rid of the confusion. keldorn the paladin is very good in this regard.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:22 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

For mages, set up a Contingency to cast Dispel Magic on yourself in case you are rendered helpless. Cleric/mages can arm their Contingency with Dispel Magic, Freedom, Remove Paralysis, Chaotic Commands, etc.

Before being afflicted in such a manner, use Chaotic Commands, some item that grants protection from confusion/charm, a potion of Clarity, or Spell Immunity: Enchantment/Charm.

Note, of course, that the most useful 8th level spell in the world--Mind Blank--was conveniently left out of the game ... until I put it back in.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?
Old 07-25-2001, 09:19 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The skald's bard song at level 15+ protects from Confusion.

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 10:08 PM   #9
Gil-Galad
The Magister

"An intelligent mind is the key to the universe."

Are you absolutely sure, Azred?

Reply To Topic: Yes, what the others said. You can get several items that make you immune or resistant to charm- and command related attacks (shields, swords, potions, spells). AND REMEMBER that Umber Hulks are as receptive to those spells as you are, and maybe even more so, depending on your level.

Old 07-26-2001, 09:46 AM   #10
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:

Note, of course, that the most useful 8th level spell in the world--Mind Blank--was conveniently left out of the game ... until I put it back in.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I feel that this next question is a newbie question, but I have to ask it. (Feel free to ignore or just point me to a URL where I can figure out for myself)

You put it back in? How on EARTH did you do that? Are you a programmer or something?