Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
Red Onion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay, plainly I'm some kind of idiot. Yes, I've read the manual (PDF version, so I may have missed something; not easy to curl up with it) and done repeated forum searches, but I haven't seen this problem, so it must just be me. I'm mid-way through the Underdark with my Stalker and decided to start a new game with a Sorcerer just to see what the hullabaloo is about. Got everything set up, made some halfway-intelligent spellpicks, and here I am in Jon's dungeon with Imoen and Minsc, seeing what I can do about Jaheira's locked cage. But my spellcasting icon is dim and I'm not sure how to cast a spell as a sorcerer! Somebody, please take pity and give me the basics so I (and this post) can slowly slink off into embarassed obscurity.

Many thanks!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
ryaldin
Elminster

Have you tried resting? I can't remember if you've got spells memorized when you start as a mage (i'm 98% sure you do) but there may have been, for whatever reason, a bug that thinks that you need to 'refresh' your spell abilities. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that would prevent a sorceror from having spells.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Clerics are the only spellcasters with spells memorized at the start of the game. Mages, sorcerers, and bards all need to rest to memorize their spells.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:40 AM   #4
Red Onion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You know, I never did try resting; I assumed that the last thing the game would need you to do is to rest while Imoen and everyone keep bugging you to get up and get going. That said, I suppose it makes sense from a roleplaying perspective: probably not a lot of time for spell memorization during all the torturing and experimentation and all ...

Maybe I'll see what I can do about roleplaying this and not resting (i.e., no spells) until after making my daring escape. Hm.

Thanks both for the quick replies!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:44 AM   #5
ryaldin
Elminster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirengle:
Clerics are the only spellcasters with spells memorized at the start of the game. Mages, sorcerers, and bards all need to rest to memorize their spells.
Hm. I had always thought, for whatever reason, that spellcasters started out with some spells memorized. Or maybe that was only in BG1. Shows what I know.
Quote:
Originally posted by ryaldin:
(i'm 98% sure you do)
Hrmph. 98% indeed. Chinchilla-dom for me.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:46 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Onion:
....I suppose it makes sense from a roleplaying perspective: probably not a lot of time for spell memorization during all the torturing and experimentation and all ...
And yet, oddly enough, Imoen has hers memorized....and so does Jaheira. (Way to go, Jaheira, for memorizing Call Lightning in an underground prison!)
Old 11-20-2003, 07:51 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
quote:
Originally posted by Red Onion:
....I suppose it makes sense from a roleplaying perspective: probably not a lot of time for spell memorization during all the torturing and experimentation and all ...
And yet, oddly enough, Imoen has hers memorized....and so does Jaheira. (Way to go, Jaheira, for memorizing Call Lightning in an underground prison!) [/QUOTE]The PC just got tortured, while it can be safely assumed that Imoen and Jaheira had a "good" day rest.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:04 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
red onion:
--------------
You know, I never did try resting; I assumed that the last thing the game would need you to do is to rest while Imoen and everyone keep bugging you to get up and get going. That said, I suppose it makes sense from a roleplaying perspective: probably not a lot of time for spell memorization during all the torturing and experimentation and all ...
strange no?

Quote:
dundee:
----------
The PC just got tortured, while it can be safely assumed that Imoen and Jaheira had a "good" day rest.
i want to hint something else but i might spoil someone [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote