Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #31
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Taken from #7.

The soldier is coming out of me on this one. When you make your break and run, ensure you run in a untrackable line. To track and hit a straight moving target is just as easy to compare with a sitting duck. Think uncontrolled weave.
__ _ __ __
~ -~_ -_~- ~_.

In a pea-pod, learn to live with situational awarness, it will prevent you from becoming a statistic.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:32 AM   #32
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
i get stuff all the time from the email bout to be careful and stuff and one just recently about the attepted kidnapping on the malls. a child was nearly kidnapped when she was missing for 5 min found in the toilet with her head shaven and cloths changed to make her look different in order to sneak her out of the mall.
That one's definitely a hyped urban legend. It's easy to believe something that sounds so close to the truth that it must be truth. I'm a cynic who checks every "OMG you must read this now!!!" email that falls into my inbox at snopes.com to see if it's real. And you know what? Most of the ones I get are urban legends.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:14 AM   #33
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
That's very decent of you, Pirengle... I'm not that kind.
I delete them.
Or I'll read it, pick it apart myself (Really? Started by nuns in 1902? Then how is this emailed?
Tracking device? Why would Bill Gates use this to test it when he could start a normal chain letter?
Oh, yes this IS a chain letter! Don't lie to me!)
... and send it back to whomever had the poor sense to send it my way.
I don't get much of those any more, suffice to say.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #34
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
That's very decent of you, Pirengle... I'm not that kind. I delete them.
Yeah, but I get these sort of things from friends and family members. My loved one know (or should know by now) either to check Snopes or take me off their mailing lists for that kind of stuff.

Chain letters aren't that bad. I posted at some LiveJournal community about choosing tampons over other alternatives, and got about a dozen "tampons contain asbestos" letter in my inbox. Of course, Snopes debunks it. Beware of bleach and additives, yes, but not asbestos. My high school was closed for a week to scrape asbestos out of the walls. What makes people think it's being used nowadays?! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #35
theGrimm
Manshoon

I live in a country with a reputation for bad crime - South Africa. Many people complain and apparently live in fear of their lives, or move to other countries to escape the problem.

Yet I've never been a victim of crime in the 24 years I've been alive.

As for running away, that isn't a smart move here, because you'll pi$$ them off and they'll shoot you. Even if you zigzag...2 guys = 2 guns = 20 bullets = 4*20 = 80% chance of getting shot.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:08 AM   #36
andrewas
Harper

Actualy the math is 0.96^20 chance of not being shot, which is a 44 percent chance of not getting shot. Thats assuming both of them have a 4% chance per shot, which I suspect isn't accurate at closer ranges when you are running directly away from them and are a relatively large target. Once you get away a bit you should be OK.

Its not particularly good odds on survival, but a lot better than the odds of surviving a direct shot to the back of the head after they relieve you of all your posessions.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #37
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks for the heads up Hark... [img]smile.gif[/img]

One of the reasons I have never encountered such a thing is because I am street-smart. Simply put I have common-sense. We all just have to "blend in" actually and that's it. If we all live high-profile lives then well... you should be indeed paranoid.