Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2002, 05:34 PM   #11
Moni

Arvon,
I saw the story on the national news this morning, complete with interviews with Ft. Worth police officers and shots of the house where she had parked her car while the man died.
She will most likely face capital murder charges and may even be given the death penalty.

Old 03-08-2002, 06:56 PM   #12
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well I believe she should certainly be punished, but not by the way that she is most likely to be, as I am a strong advocate of having no death penalty.
Luckily for me then that I live in a country where it doesn't take place.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #13
Arvon
Unicorn

As I stated before...If it is infact true, then she should be dealt with as one who commited Murder One. And in Texas thats a self solution.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:50 PM   #14
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

geez... this is sooo lame... she is SO DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!! ArgH!

I mean come on! Three days??? THREE? Man she didn't panic, she really wanted to see him bleed to death... the psychob*tch
Old 03-09-2002, 12:20 AM   #15
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

jabidas,

I'm afraid you misunderstand me....I fully support the Death Penalty and Capital Punishment. I think our system of punishment is FAR too lenient. Sometimes, as GEEK pointed out, there is no real incentive for a career criminal to stop breaking the law.

I just happen to think that forcing this 25yr old woman (who still has the best years of her life ahead of her) to spend those years locked in a prison cell so that she contemplate the inhumanity of her selfish act on a daily basis would be a much more fitting punishment.

She would spend every day thinking about what other 25yr old females are doing outside of those walls...and knowing that she will never get a chance to experience some of those things. I want her to know that the best years of her life will be spent living in a 7'x4' cell with a steel bunk for a bed while other girls her age are out dancing in clubs, meeting guys, getting married, and raising families.

I want her to understand that her total disregard for the victims life has led to her own life being stolen from her.

From that perspective, killing her would be letting her off easy.

BTW, GEEK, while I agree with most everything you said, this Mallard girl doesn't fit the category of a "revolving door criminal". I SERIOUSLY doubt she would ever commit such an atrocity again...but I wouldn't have expected it to happen in the first place either, so you never know.

jabidas, I admire your compassionate viewpoint...but our country has proven that "rehabilitation of criminal" DOES NOT work in the vast majority of cases. A quick look at our crime statistics will verify that. Why is crime so rampant here? Because the criminals know that it will take several offenses before they suffer any REAL punishment. A year or two in jail means nothing to them...it's just an occupational hazard.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:22 AM   #16
GEEK
The Magister

Cerek, I was just making the link between her having no care of her fellow man and the short jump to doing it again. In order to kill someone like that you can't care about them at all. If you can do it once it is easier the next time. She watched him bleed to death. If she is actually insane then she should still be put away for life at the least to protect us from her in the future. I think the justice system in the US forgot that they are also there to protect us from these people as well.

BTW, I like these discussions where I can see what other people in other countries think about some topics.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:53 PM   #17
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Is it just me or does anyone else find the following phrase ironic:

Person X has complete disregard for human life, so we are going to kill them.

I am not quoting anyone here specifially, but it is an argument that I hear a lot in favour of capital punishment. It was mostly Cerek that brought it back to my mind. I am not bashing the viewpoint and I am definately not trying to flame, I just consider it a very comical statement in some lights.

Basically my view on capital punishment is that we are unable to judge for ourselves when someone deserves to die. I am a strong Christian and that believes me to think that God is the only one who can make decisions like that. I personally don't feel qualified to say if a person deserves death, no matter what they have done. Sorry.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 03-09-2002, 01:48 PM   #18
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

She should be shot in the knee-caps and dropped in the middle of the Russian Tundra!
No remorse for people like her!
Old 03-09-2002, 01:51 PM   #19
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Barry, I don't really disagree with what you say, but, in some cases, such as the Oklahoma City bomber, how else can society show the repulsion that it feels for the crime. I don't know if I think that every run-of-the-mill murderer should be executed- but for "High Crimes" I feel that society should have the option.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:00 PM   #20
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Barry, I don't really disagree with what you say, but, in some cases, such as the Oklahoma City bomber, how else can society show the repulsion that it feels for the crime. I don't know if I think that every run-of-the-mill murderer should be executed- but for "High Crimes" I feel that society should have the option.

But what is a High Crime? A lot of people agree with the feelings of McVeigh, if not his actions (and even a few do agree with his actions). Are they not part of the society judging these "High Crimes"? I think the crimes of Nigel Martin were pretty high. For any non-Brits out there - he shot a 16 year old boy in the back with a shotgun repeatedly whilst the boy was running away from him. He claims he was scared and did so in self defence, but the shots were fired from the top of a set of stairs at the boy who never actually went up the stairs in question. It begs the question of how exectly he felt threatened? But anyway, I think that is pretty reprihensible, but a lot of people felt he shouldn't even be jailed. Some people thought he was a national hero as he shot a burglar, a few even said that he had done the right thing as it took "scum" like the 16 year old burglar out of this world. So is it a "High Crime" or not? I can see where you are coming from Attalus but it still retains for me the fundamental element of judging a person suitable for death. I don't think mankind is capable of making that decision about one of their own in any way.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe