Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Gokyabgu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Is there a way to increase the resolution in software mode? (config files and such)

Hi friends, this is my first post. I have desperately searched the internet to find an active site for Wizards&Warriors. Then I encountered with Ironworks Forum. For a while, I only read the topics. But, now I want to write something.

As you can imagine I have a problem with W&W. I bought a new computer six months ago. It has an Nvidia Geforce GTS250 (old name => 9800GTX+) card on it. Unfortunately my system has a lot of problems with Direct3d mode of W&W. Apart from this annoying 'can't click on any object in the game world', there is also terrible flickering issue of the textures. I also have a notebook that has a Geforce 8600GS card on it. It does not have this flickering issue but I can't click on any object in direct3d mode. My old system can run W&W perfectly in 1024*768 (Athlon 2500+,1 gb ram, Geforce 6600GT, Win XP SP2). When I searched the forum, I discovered that it's an issue with the latest Nvidia cards and drivers. I think latest ATI cards can run the game in Direct3d without any problem. When I learned that I was disappointed because I had always thought Nvidia cards have the best compatibility but this is not the case with W&W. I had to give my old system unfortunately and bought a netbook instead. It has Win XP on it. I tried to run W&W direct3d on netbook. Graphics seems fine but when there is a monster on the screen FPS drops significantly and game becomes unplayable. So I stuck with software mode 640*480 W&W on my new system. I installed the game on Vista (I also have XP on the same machine - dual boot, but same problems under XP) apply VirtualDub, set the compatibility mode to Windows 98 and set the processor affinity to only one core. I can now play the game fine. Only problem is town screen scrolling is too fast. One click and screen scrolls too fast to the other side of the screen, entering the Armory building is really a pain sometimes.

Now my question: Is there a way to play the game (in software mode) to play in higher resolutions other than 640*480? I know there isn’t an option for this in the game options menu. I have searched the game files to find a config file which regulates the resolution. But, alas W&W do not use a traditinal ini file to change the values.

I hope someone someday will make a patch for W&W in order to play it on new systems. It a shame such a great RPG has been thrown into oblivion. Even RPGamers don't remember it anymore. There is an active community for Might&Magic and some guy constantly patching the series. But, no one cares about W&W except this site. I even think of learning some Direct3d programming to patch W&W.
Gokyabgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Is there a way to increase the resolution in software mode? (config files and suc

There is a page that discusses resolutions available with the patch:
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wiza...ownloads.shtml
I have never used different resolutions so I don't know what it will be like.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Is there a way to increase the resolution in software mode? (config files and suc

Welcome to the forums, Gokyabgu!!

Shadow Stranger pointed you to the only thing that I know of that may be of any help but I also never used the different resolutions and I never used the patch - so I can't predict how useful you will find it!

It is a shame that there wasn't more support for this game.

Wyv
Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Gokyabgu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks.

I know this graphical patch that you mentioned. It fixes the "unclickable object problem" for ATI cards and able to increase the resolution for more than 1024*768. But unfortunately this patch isn't solving the Direct3d problem in new Nvidia cards and the new resolutions are only available if you are using this Direct3d mode. So, if you are still experiencing problem in Direct3d after appling the graphical patch (which is the case for me), I'm afraid you are stuck with 640*480 and software mode.

My hope is that if we can communicate with this person who made this graphic patch, maybe he will be able to solve this problem with new Nvidia cards.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I have no idea on how to contact the person that made that patch or whether they would have any interest in updating it.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Shadow Stranger

Unlike Black Isle and SSI&&, the company involved may still be in business. There was something called Dungeon Lords, very buggy game.
I don't know, you may get somewhere.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

The original patch for W&W was written by someone involved with creating the game but it was an unofficial patch - Activision (who bought up the rights) did nothing to support W&W at all.

This other patch that fixes some of the graphic issues was written by someone else and I don't believe they had any involvement with the developers for W&W.

Even Dungeon Lords is a few years old now - I have no idea what happened to the company and less idea as to whether or not there would be anyone there interested in trying to update a game that is so old. Certainly would be nice - W&W was always a lot better than it was believed to be.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Crying Re: Is there a way to increase the resolution in software mode? (config files and suc

If I recall correctly in my investigations, there were issues resolved by updating codecs for certain video cards. Did you go through the Tech Issues Thread here? I'm sure there was something possibly regarding Nvidia Cards and codecs being removed or incompatible with a way to resolve the issue.

Also let us know if and how you fix it, because I'll be upgrading my system at some point within a year or so, and I'd like to be prepared if at all possible.

Thanks and good luck with it.

+Dr.Pick
Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Happy Re: Is there a way to increase the resolution in software mode? (config files and suc

I would welcome this sort of fix or a new patch. I would love to be able to play W&W again. As it is I don't have enough technical savvy to be able to play it on the new PC I built.

The funny thing is that I originally joined this forum to find out how to play W&W on a substandard PC.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Gokyabgu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Pick View Post
If I recall correctly in my investigations, there were issues resolved by updating codecs for certain video cards. Did you go through the Tech Issues Thread here? I'm sure there was something possibly regarding Nvidia Cards and codecs being removed or incompatible with a way to resolve the issue.

Also let us know if and how you fix it, because I'll be upgrading my system at some point within a year or so, and I'd like to be prepared if at all possible.

Thanks and good luck with it.

+Dr.Pick
The issue has nothing with the codecs. It's a Nvidia driver issue. I'm sure of it. Since my card is relatively new and there is no way to downgrade drivers (old drivers can't recognize the new card and terribly unstable). If you are going to upgrade your system, select an Ati card instead of Nvidia. I know there is no problem with the Radeon 4000 series at W&W Direct3d mode. But you can select a new Nvidia card like me and have to play W&W at software mode and 640*480.