Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #191
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Grist for the mill--Climate Change Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Now guys,,,I don't think we should ding BO about the PP. It's not like he solicited the damn thing...so ragging him about it is, IMO, unfair.
He could have refused it. After all, he refused to participate in most of the ceremony/pomp that surrounds it being awarded. I find that that would have been the more honorable thing to do, since he had taken 0 steps towards anything like peace when he won it. While I agree that he didn't solicit it, he did accept it, and even commented about whether he deserved it or not. It was a questionable award, given to a questionable indvidual, and is totally off topic here, if interesting.

Now, back to alien side boobs.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #192
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Alien side boobs mmm....
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #193
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgeruat View Post
In the twelve days between being sworn in and the end of the nomination period for the Prize?
No.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #194
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
No.
Then he really did nothing to earn it except get elected on an "I'm not Bush" platform. Thanks for admitting that.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #195
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
Although no longer a political football acid rain is still a problem here in the northeastern USA and Canada.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec//wate...cidrain-vt.htm
Acidification of surface waters and the loss of forest soil productivity remains a serious threat to the northeastern United States and eastern Canada. Though the topic is no longer a front page story in the daily papers, the scientific community continues to research and publish journal articles. Without a doubt, few environmental problems have been studied to the extent of "Acid Rain". In the 1980s the subject was relatively controversial because the political climate did not look favorably on the emission cut backs and further restriction to utilities thought necessary to improve air quality. Since acid deposition was looked upon as a northeastern regional problem and not a national problem, the Clean Air Act was delayed for nine years. In 1981, Congress launched the National Acid Precipitation Assessment Program (NAPAP). This Program spent over $500 million and supported thousands of scientists who conducted research, monitoring and assessment studies that contributed to our understanding of this complex issue.

Vermont was one of the first states to begin precipitation and lake monitoring programs specifically to assess acidification. This 20 year monitoring history has established Vermont's place as a significant contributor of information and knowledge of the ecological effects of acid rain. This knowledge eventually lead to the controls mandated in the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments. Title IV of the Amendments required sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions to be cut 10 million tons below 1980 levels by the year 2000. These reductions were implemented in two phases. Phase I, effective January 1,1995, required the largest fossil-fuel fired plants to reduce emissions. In addition, it mandates nitrogen oxide emissions be reduced by two million tons. Phase II, effective in the year 2000, includes the smaller fossil-fuel plants and the large coal-burning power plants.

Significant reductions in SO2 emissions and deposition have been recorded throughout the northeastern United States and the Atlantic Provinces of Canada. No trends have been observed in nitrogen oxides, but levels are expected to improve following the required reductions. According to Vermont's Volunteer Acid Precipitation Monitoring Program (VAPMP), Vermont's precipitation remains unquestionably acidic with a mean pH of just below 4.4. In fact, 94% of all storm events have resulted in a pH less than 5.6, the theoretical pH of unpolluted precipitation. The VAPMP has observed no improvement in pH over time (1980-1999).
Quote:
In 1977 President Jimmy Carter's Council of Environmental Quality was asked to develop a national acid rain research program. Several scientists drafted a report that eventually became the basis for the National Acid Precipitation Assessment Program (NAPAP). Carter's initiative eventually translated into legislative action with the passage of the Energy Security Act (PL 96–264) in June 1980. Title VII of the Act (the Acid Precipitation Act of 1980) created the NAPAP and authorized federally financed support.
http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/26...ACID-RAIN.html
Contradicting yourself there MH
Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #196
Chewbacca
Zartan

Happy Re: Grist for the mill--Climate Change Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Now guys,,,I don't think we should ding BO about the PP. It's not like he solicited the damn thing...so ragging him about it is, IMO, unfair.
It's an easy point scoring gotcha. Hyuck! Hyuck! So easy! how to resist?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #197
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Then he really did nothing to earn it except get elected on an "I'm not Bush" platform. Thanks for admitting that.
Wow, that's quite a jump.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #198
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

What does that have to do with alien side boobs????
Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #199
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Contradicting yourself there MH
Not really, The Clean Air Act Passed in 1963, amended in 1970, 1977 and 1990.
Also there was the Air Pollution Control Act of 1955 and the
Air Quality Act of 1967
Carter set into motion the study (NAPAP) of the acid rain problem. The first quote clearly says "Since acid deposition was looked upon as a northeastern regional problem and not a national problem, the Clean Air Act was delayed for nine years." After the study was done the Act was amended in 1990 under Bush 1.

Bush Legacy
http://ehis.niehs.nih.gov/docs/1993/101-3/focus1.html
The 1990 amendments are beginning to chalk up the first successes, but seldom are they credited to George Bush. However, Rosenberg, a Bush appointee, says that Bush was the first president to propose an environmental statute to Congress and was the one who broke the 10-year stalemate over passage of the amendments. Goffman recalls how the president forged an unusual alliance, first with environmentalists and then with congressional Democrats, to support the amendments.

People in the administration viewed emissions allowance trading as an important regulatory reform to inject into the Clean Air Act, Goffman explained, and the Environmental Defense Fund saw it as a means to get even steeper emissions reductions. "Suddenly you had an environmental group and a Republican White House in agreement on how to deal with a particular and very politically vexing environmental problem," he said. Democrats on Capitol Hill saw the coalition as a opportunity to pass the long-cherished acid raid program. Once the Democrats joined, the coalition was unstoppable.

I hope that everything is a bit clearer now.

Last edited by machinehead; 12-15-2009 at 04:38 AM.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #200
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Can anyone tell me what State our Federal laws were copied off of? Also, can anyone tell me when Catalytic Converters, and Emission Controls were mandated on cars produced in the US? This included, in California, any cars imported into California from anywhere Overseas, btw. Oops, think I answered my first question with the stipulation there, and it became Nationally mandated in 1990. That pesky Check Engine light was added to all cars, to make emission control on vehicles easily monitored by the driver of the car. Any engine condition that can affect the 'quality' of emissions will trigger that light. California had these laws in place a lot sooner. Does anyone remember watching The Price is Right, and people winning cars equipped with California Emissions? This was the earliest legislated form of the Clean Air Act.