Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-13-2001, 09:08 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

(not that you don't already!)

Thought you'd get a kick out of this...the Life Cycle of a USENET Gaming Forum thread. I couldn't stop laughing, having read through such posts on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg and other such newsgroups. Be glad we have such a great forum here!

Life cycle of a USENET gaming-forum thread

1. USENET user A posts an on-topic thread about a computer game from a few years ago, claiming how much he enjoyed it, and comparing it to a current game.

2. User B responds to the thread, begging to differ with User A on the grounds that the older game has little or nothing to do with anything in the new game, and brings up several key points to support his argument.

3. User A gives a rebuttal to User B’s thread, slightly testily, that if User B had bothered to read his post, he would understand what User A was talking about in the first place.

4. User B responds, saying that he did read through User A’s post to begin with, and that User A should go back and read his own words and see what a fool he just made of himself.

5. Before User A can respond, Users C and D post almost at the same time, coming to User A’s defense, and proclaiming User B to be a pedantic, self-serving, geek a**hole whose only real reason for posting was to promote his own blinkered, limited, and unoriginal viewpoint.

6. User E posts, declaiming everyone in the thread to be “puthetic lusers.”

7. User C posts, correcting User E’s grammar and spelling, while making several choice spelling errors of her own.

8. User E points out User C’s spelling errors and proclaims her to be a moronic tard.

9. User F jumps into the fray, claiming User E to be a “troll” and exhorting the others to ignore him.

10. User E posts back, “ha ha ha yu bunch of lusers” and proceeds to taunt the posters with a stream of invective that would make a sailor’s parrot blush.

11. User B finally responds, testily, and with extremely long words excoriates the posters, questioning their ages, genetics, and mental capacities.

12. User A attempts to return to the topic, restating his original point altogether, and claims that the others completely missed the point, that it’s only a game.

13. User B claims that the newer game is NOT just a game, it’s the greatest thing that’s been created since the dawn of computer history, that to compare it to such a old loser game such as User A did is the ultimate insult to the Exalted Masters who created such a masterpiece, and that the rest of the posters are obviously deluded, demented, or mentally incapacitated to think otherwise.

14. User’s C and D immediately flame User B.

15. User E again posts a bunch of inflammatory invective aimed at the participants, finishing up by claiming that anyone who plays computer games needs to grow up and get a -------- life.

16. Users A-D and F all jump on User E and tell him to go away.

17. User E posts, “hA hA hA yU cAn’T mAk3 mE iT’s A pUbLiC fOrUm Go G3T a LiF3 u MoRuNiK jIrK sKuMz”

18. User E immediately posts, using a software program, about 500 spam flood messages to the topic.

19. Users A-D and F abandon the thread in disgust while User E proceeds to trash it further.

20. After about two weeks of silence (and the thread mercifully getting buried), User G posts to the thread, asking if User B’s head is on straight, what do you MEAN that the newer game is better than the older game, and is User E a ------- geek ‘tard who plays with teletubbies and whose mommy still gives him baths...

...and the beat goes on.
Old 05-13-2001, 09:16 PM   #2
onthepequod
Quintesson

Great post Sazerac.

Even some corporate stock boards/forums contain this sort of rubbish.

[This message has been edited by onthepequod (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old 05-13-2001, 09:38 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

During our tragic down-time, I visited sites, such as that one, and saw similar sad examples. By divine intervention of a powerful "cat-god" , was I brought to the true forum, where there is peace and tranquility.

------------------

Larry, a Loyal Guardian of the OHF

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old 05-13-2001, 10:33 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

It really makes you wonder what kind of people are out there, doesn't it? Onthepequod, that's awful that it's on stock forums as well!! Whew!

Old 05-13-2001, 10:39 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Saz,

This is very funny, but sadly, I've SEEN it happen! Different topic, but same results! LOL

LONG LIVE IRONWORKS!!!!!!!

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 05-13-2001, 10:40 PM   #6
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Alright Sazerac, I was following you till "invective", was that a fancy way of saying dog cussed?

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 05-13-2001, 10:42 PM   #7
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
It really makes you wonder what kind of people are out there, doesn't it? Onthepequod, that's awful that it's on stock forums as well!! Whew!

Yeah, it seems that some people find merit in acting like a horses posterior. Which is unfortunate for the serious posters. Fortunatly, the Yahoo boards have an "ignore this user" ability.

Old 05-13-2001, 10:45 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

John D..."dog cussed" is a GREAT euphemism for invective!!

Good one!

That one reminds me of a joke I heard a long time ago. There was this Northern Louisiana person walking down a road in Cajun country, when he came across a little boy with a rifle in one hand and a dead hawk in the other. The "yankee" (all North Lousiana people are Yankees according to Cajuns), politely asks the little boy what he's got.

"It's a 'hock'," the little boy said.

"A...'hock'?" the "yankee" asked again.

"Yep, a 'shicken hock'," replied the lad.

"Oh...a Hawk! I've never tasted a hawk before," the man said. "What does hawk taste like?"

The little boy thought and thought, furrowing his brow. "Oh," he said, "a little bit like owl."

Old 05-13-2001, 10:47 PM   #9
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Alright Sazerac, I was following you till "invective", was that a fancy way of saying dog cussed?

Invective - scathing retort or comment(verbally).

I've been there John D. I once looked up "diatribe" and my dictionary defined it as "a fulminating piece of invective." Lots of help that was. So, I had to look up another two words just to understand diatribe.

BTW, fulminating means explosive.

[This message has been edited by onthepequod (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old 05-13-2001, 10:49 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Onthepequod wrote:
Quote:
I've been there John D. I once looked up "diatribe" and my dictionary defined it as "a fulminating piece of invective." Lots of help that was. So, I had to look up another two words just to understand diatribe.
LOL!! "a fulminating piece of invective." => A "flame".