Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-01-2001, 04:20 AM   #1
boowinstheday
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry to trouble everyone... the only reason why I'm asking this question is that it's been plaguing me for as long as nineteen years, and I think it's about time I tried to find some answers.

Anyway, to get to the point: Christianity speaks of how one will go to Heaven/Hell depending on how one lives presently, while Hinduism and Buddhism touch on karma and how it will affect one's next life. So is it a given that there is definitely life after death? (I know of some people who absolutely disbelieve this and are quite happy to just "vanish into nothingness" when their time is up.)

I'm pretty troubled by two issues, really:

1) If there is life after death, whether it will be eternal (ie, round after round of reincarnation or an endless life in Heaven/Hell/Purgatory)? If not, this just leads to a slightly longer period before point 2).

2) If there isn't life after death, I'm not sure if I can accept just disappearing into thin air after a short spell here

Some of you may want to tick me off for not finding a religion which may answer my question. The truth is, I daren't. Because my parents are happy being free thinkers and I don't want to end up at a different place from where they will be after they've gone (that's assuming there is indeed life after death). This is especially true of Christianity, I believe - they claim that non-believers will go to Hell/Purgatory.

From what I've seen at this forum, the people here are very helpful and well-informed. I do hope that you will be indulgent just this once and share with me what you know of this subject.

Thanks!
----------------------------
A rather distressed hamster
Old 10-01-2001, 07:09 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Nobody can conclusively prove that there is life after death, but whether or not it is true for you depends on how strong your faith is. I'm Roman Catholic and I believe that there is life after death. Don't ask me to prove it - I just know. But I'm only speaking for myself.

------------------
Old 10-01-2001, 07:37 AM   #3
Sigmar
Unicorn

Well there is no certain answer, so you just have to have a little faith and believe that there is. Perhaps there is nothing after we die but what we say or do can change nothing about that. It is best(in my opinion) to believe in God and his teachings and believe there is life after death. Don't worry about it, live life as a christian should and there will be no problem. This is just my opinion.

------------------
"If complete and utter chaos was lightning,then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting "All gods are bastards"."-Rincewind
Sigmar, proud warrior of clan HADB.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:53 AM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I will get back to you on this one, Boowinstheday. I'm copying and pasting your post so as to answer you as well as I can. But what Memnoch said is true - we have no proof one way or the other, so all any of us can offer is the teaching of our respective religions, or, in my case, the teaching of the bible. I am an atheist with a good knowledge of the bible, so you will get the bible teaching - which is NOT the same as the church teaching - and my own personal view.
Look for my post soon.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:57 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, well I have truoble controling this life as it is. I don´t think that anyone but you can answer how "true" this is. You have to find the answer yourself I guess. Perhaps some of the other ones here can help you out more thatn atheist-me..

However, I wish you good luck in finding your answer!

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-01-2001, 07:59 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well I would like to think it that way... but I belive there is.. and we will all know when we die... how funny... this is one thing we will really have ride on about it!!! I mean we all live... then we die... wow...

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Old 10-01-2001, 08:06 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

WE WILL ALL KNOW!!! don't worry about it! The time will come when we will learn all the answers... now is not the time..

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Old 10-01-2001, 08:19 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

to know death is to be with death
the irony of life is where we born to die
we are taking our steps towards our death eveyday, all the time
i believe that its the way you live and how you view life is the answer...

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 10-01-2001, 08:27 AM   #9
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Ok. I'm back! Wait for the feathers to start flying, lol!

Quote:
Originally posted by boowinstheday:
I'm pretty troubled by two issues, really:

1) If there is life after death, whether it will be eternal (ie, round after round of reincarnation or an endless life in Heaven/Hell/Purgatory)? If not, this just leads to a slightly longer period before point 2).

2) If there isn't life after death, I'm not sure if I can accept just disappearing into thin air after a short spell here
Christianity, I believe - … claim that non-believers will go to Hell/Purgatory.

My own personal view first:

Just so you know where I’m coming from:
I do not know if there is a creator or not. Which makes me agnostic. But I have no belief whatever in any of the gods/religions mankind has ever created/worshipped. Which makes me atheist!

My view. Ok. So I believe that when we die we are dead. BUT – just as the lives of others have sustained us in our short lives, we ourselves will sustain yet more lives in our death. We are part of the eco-system of this planet, we have been part of it from its beginning and will continue to be part of it until it goes out of existence. Those elements that make up our bodies will be used to make other bodies, and were part of other bodies before we were conceived. In that sense all life is eternal.

Bible. If you want chapter and verse, ask me and I will provide them. Be warned – christian believers will contest every point I make!

Adam was created from the dust of the ground and god breathed into him the breath of life and Adam ‘became a living soul’. He wasn’t GIVEN a soul – he BECAME a soul when he started breathing.

He had the prospect of living forever as a human upon the earth. The Tree of Life was provided to ensure that he continued living forever.

No prospect of life in heaven was offered to mankind at this point, and Adam was told to fill the earth and care for it. That was the only prospect held open for them – eternal life on earth as ageless, sinless human beings.

After the fall, the option of eternal human life was lost. God provided a ransom to buy back what Adam had lost – eternal human life on earth. The Ransom was Jesus. Until the Ransomer was baptised, all who died were just dead, but God ‘remembered’ all of them, so he can raise them at the foretold time.

After the death and resurrection of Jesus, some from among humanity were to be given authority to rule with him as spirits in heaven. Most of humanity, however, even those dead, were to have the opportunity of everlasting life as sinless humans on earth.

After ‘The Great Day of God the Almighty’ , all ‘those in the memorial tombs will come out’ and be given the opportunity of whether to serve god and live forever on earth, or to deny god and enter ‘the second death’ from which there is no resurrection.

This is just a VERY brief outline of what the bible says on the matter, and practically no christian will agree with it.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:31 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Nobody can conclusively prove that there is life after death, but whether or not it is true for you depends on how strong your faith is. I'm Roman Catholic and I believe that there is life after death. Don't ask me to prove it - I just know. But I'm only speaking for myself.

Memnoch!!! You live!!! Wowsers!!!
Anyway, to reply to this topic.. I wouldn't know if there's life after death. On the one side i do believe that there can be life after death, that life simply doesn't end, but on the other end... well, there are certain things which tell me it's impossible. All those people with Almost Dead Experiences.. they just strengthen the feeling that it ain't possible. Sensation when talking about death...it is indeed a strange world...

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe