Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-06-2004, 02:21 AM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I know it's hard to believe, but I'm having yet ANOTHER problem with my main PC.

My 2yr old was banging on the keyboard with one of his toys and actually managed to knock the entire keyboard drawer off of my workstation. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] I didn't think much about it until I tried to connect to the internet a little later.

Somehow, my entire desktop is now totally screwed up. When I clicked on the Shortcut Icon for my internet connection, it took me to MY DOCUMENTS instead of bringing up my dial-up pop screen. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] This actually happened once before a few days ago, but I managed to stumble around and reverse whatever it was he did that time. But not this time. This time, it seems like the internal configurations for the keyboard itself are completely screwed.

For instance, my CAPS LOCK key is REVERSED now. When it is "off", my keyboard is actually set to "CAPS LOCK" mode. And I can't get my numeric keypad to work AT ALL. Not even the numbers across the top. NONE of my numeric keys work AT ALL.

This is NOT a problem with the keyboard itself (I switched keyboards to see). It actually is set INSIDE my main PC. I now have NO WAY of accessing the internet through that PC, because when I finally DID get my dial-up screen to appear, I keep getting an ERROR 691: Username and/or password invalid. Once I figured out that my CAPS LOCK was reversed, I thought THAT might solve the problem (since I apparantly typed my password in ALL CAPS when I thought it was in lower case), but that didn't fix the problem. So I finally decided to just set up a new connection and re-enter everything from scratch. THAT'S when I found out that NONE of my numeric keys are working...so there is no way to enter the phone number for my modem to dial.

As a good friend of mine is prone to say, this is enough to make me want to chew off my own foot. I am SO FRIGGIN FED UP with the problems I'm having with this machine. One thing I plan to do is call PC Store #1 back and tell them I want a replacement for this POS Motherboard they installed on my system. I'm normally not the kind of guy to get ugly or mean when dealing with employees in a store, but I'm about ready to give the owner a good ole Southern cussing for the CRAP I've put up with since bringing my machine to his shop to be upgraded. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] I've had NOTHING but problems since going to them.

Well, if anybody has a suggestion about how to fix this latest problem, I would appreciate. If not, just tell me where I can buy a good chainsaw and uzi and I'll handle the problem in another way.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:50 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

what kind of mother board do you have anyway?

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-06-2004, 04:19 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Kill the Demon child and rid thyneself of the curse! And if that doesn't work.. is it just a standard keyboard or was it an upgraded one that may have drivers for it? If so, try reinstalling the drive. If not, go into your keyboard setting in your control panel and see if there is anything unusual set there.
Opening the keyboard may not reveal much, bur it couldn't hurt either, just to make sure nothing's jammed. Other than that "dear Sam" see if there's "help" in windows on it to see keyboard functions can be changed by a combination of buttons.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

oh btw, you seem to be having really bad luck with motherboards cerek, so i suggest if ever your going to get a new board get "asus" brand. Those mobo never let me down in thier stability and compatibality issues so far [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-06-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
My 2yr old was banging on the keyboard with one of his toys and actually managed to knock the entire keyboard drawer off of my workstation. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]
Perhaps your PC isn't the problem. You need to replace your 2yr old. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 AM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Kill the Demon child and rid thyneself of the curse! And if that doesn't work.. is it just a standard keyboard or was it an upgraded one that may have drivers for it? If so, try reinstalling the drive. If not, go into your keyboard setting in your control panel and see if there is anything unusual set there.
Opening the keyboard may not reveal much, bur it couldn't hurt either, just to make sure nothing's jammed. Other than that "dear Sam" see if there's "help" in windows on it to see keyboard functions can be changed by a combination of buttons.
That's what I figure happened, Variol. I'm guessing he actually hit a specific combination of keys that caused the settings to be changed like that - though God only knows what that combination is.

I DID try to troubleshoot the problem using the process you describe, but I never actually went into "keyboard configuration". I'll check that out later today to see if I have any luck.

Harkoliar - I'm not really having any trouble with the mobo right now. I'm just pissed off in general about the crap-job the yuckapucks at Store#1 did and I'm also extremely frustrated with the problems I keep having. Sooooo, I'm looking for a target to vent my frustrations on and they seem like the logical choice.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Maybe now is not the time, but I really am glad to know that you and stormymystic would never be able to hook up together.

A person could open a PC shop next to you two and earn enough revenue to never need any other clients!

If I were to die in the next five minutes and could only tell you one piece of advice before passing on...it would be this. Learn enough about computers to fix your problems without having to pay fools to mess things up worse. In the long-run...the money you invest on educating yourself in PC repair and upgrades will save you from this long heartache.

Oh...build an electric fence around your work station to keep out the vermin. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe add a moat.

And a guard dog. The one on the Harry Potter movie.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

If I were to die in the next five minutes and could only tell you one piece of advice before passing on...it would be this. Learn enough about computers to fix your problems without having to pay fools to mess things up worse. In the long-run...the money you invest on educating yourself in PC repair and upgrades will save you from this long heartache.

or just giving you more headaches .

the more you learn.. the more you realize how stupid you really are in computers. thats how i felt when i finally know how to assemble my own computer then after 3 months, you see all these new gadgets and new terms that makes you go crazy.

the only way is to keep learning.. OR find a good reliable computer repair shop.

thankfully, the pcparts i had installed worked like a charm ( too lazy to install it myself) and it was cheap like 10 AUD for the installation *which saved me 2-3 hours and alot of trouble). the only thing i did myself is the software installatin which i always do so i know whats going on. i hate it when someone tinkers with my computer without me knowing it.

[ 11-06-2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #9
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, I'm no expert, but have you tried replacing the keyboard?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

At least prices of everything have come down. When I worked for Digital about 12 years ago my discounted price for 16MB ram was $699! I had 16 MB in my 486 and I was a god, since everybody else only had 4-8 at the time.
And things have just become harder, not easier. There should be a program out today that can scan your system and say, this is the problem, I'm going to fix it or go to a website to get the neccessary files. It can't be that hard with all the high-end software out there now. Even the guru's don't know much these days.