Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2002, 10:21 PM   #41
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I smoke two joints in the morning. I smoke two joints at night. I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war.I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints and then I smoke two more.

-Sublime
Old 07-09-2002, 03:44 AM   #42
Melusine
Dracolisk

OK Aviendha, seems you were right after all - I'm sorry...

There are severe or less severe downsides to EVERY drug, including the ones that are being glorified in this thread... I agree with Avi this is not something I'd want young kids to read... [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2002, 04:30 AM   #43
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
OK Aviendha, seems you were right after all - I'm sorry...

There are severe or less severe downsides to EVERY drug, including the ones that are being glorified in this thread... I agree with Avi this is not something I'd want young kids to read... [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
This thread can also be seen as a warning for them not to start using. Have you read what i said about speed ? I wouldn't exactly call that gloryfying.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:10 AM   #44
Melusine
Dracolisk

Did I say everybody's been glorifying? I don't think so, Johnny. In fact, read my earlier post - when Aviendha made the assertion, I went against it because I didn't think it was that bad.
Upon reflection, however, I think she right in that it can't hurt to exert caution.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:23 AM   #45
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
I smoke two joints in the morning. I smoke two joints at night. I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war.I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints and then I smoke two more.

-Sublime
This kind of comment (quoted or otherwise) is exactly what will get this thread locked. Threads discussing pros and cons of legalization are ok here. Threads glorifying drug use, particularly hard drugs, are NOT ok here.

Let me share something with you guys as a fellow member (NOT as a mod). As late as 5 years ago I had tried pretty much everything under the sun, with the exception of smack (heroin). I have tried e's, trips, shrooms, pot, special K, all part of the clubbing phase I went through while at university and just after. I used to take three to four e's a week on average for two years. It was cool as hell at the time, and I see some of you on this thread (caleb is one) who seem to think that is is REALLY cool to punch cones, pop e's or get smacked out all day - maybe the media, the clubs, the beautiful people all perpetuate that image.

What you probably don't realize is that all you're seeing is the superficial side of things. If you are not educated about what you are doing, and don't know what things like ketamine or MDMA or ice or THC do to your body, the honeymoon will end after two or three years, depending on your level of usage. It will slowly and gradually stop being as fun as you thought it was, and you will continue to chase that high that you KNOW you can get if only you could get better quality e's or charlie or whizz or whatever. Guess what - you will NEVER get that high again and you can gradually destroy both your body and your mind trying to chase it.

I've probably done about 500 e's in my life - what they are selling to you as MDMA is probably a mix of glucose, novocaine, some acid to make you hallucinate and some speed to keep you going on the dancefloor - maybe if you're lucky it might have .5mg of MDMA. That's 5000mgs of chemicals that I've ingested, that I don't even know the effects once they start interacting with my body.

The experiences start out good but I guarantee it, the more you do, the longer you do it, the worse your experiences will be. This can lead to anxiety attacks, panic attacks and other forms of psychological issues (paranoia, depression, etc).

The way e works (explaining in layman's terms) is that in maximizes the amount of serotonin in your brain, which controls mood. This is why the huge high and the massive low afterwards. If you are a regular user your brain will eventually compensate for the increased serotonin in your brain by producing less. If you stop or reduce your intake you have less serotonin there that your brain is used to - this is why a lot of people go through depression after taking a break from the scene. Sometimes your brain is never able to produce the same level of serotonin that it was able to before you started to do it.

Even if you avoid physically addictive drugs like smack or coke, you will STRUGGLE to get over the psychological need to recreationally use these stimulants for a very long time. I was lucky - I got over it within two years. Some people never do.

I have seen friends of mine who were the most happy, positive people five or so years ago - after five years of punching morning, lunch and evening cones now they seem like shells of their former selves. Depressed, down, disillusioned with life, after that high how can anything else compare? Going out straight seems like torture after being out on e all night. The psychological adjustment you go through is very very difficult. Some people stop going out altogether.

Some friends of mine have ended up in mental health wards, in emergency rooms, in police cells. I will never forget the time I had some friends over after a night out and in the morning as we were walking out of the club one of them started vomiting and collapsed - not after taking twenty pills in one night (which friends of mine have done) but after taking half a pill. We had to call an ambulance to take her to the ER - waiting there while medical officers tried to resuscitate her, all I could think about was how would I explain this to her mother if something happened. You never think of these things happening when you first pop, funnily enough, and they never happen in the first couple of years of use - it's always later on.

I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm not saying this to brag - you guys should all know me well enough by now. I'm saying this because I don't want people to go through the experience that I went through in getting myself out of that scene - admitting I was in the scene was difficult enough in itself. I count myself as one of the lucky ones - I was able to drag myself out of that weekly clubbing routine and put everything in perspective - going out, working, having fun, socializing, the whole thing.

Whether or not you choose to engage in recreational drug use is your call - nobody can make that decision for you. All I can do is tell you what my experience was in the hopes that someone can learn from it - if someone does then spending half an hour to type it our was worthwhile. But educate yourself, and for God's sake do things in moderation and learn from others - because the checks you write out for your body now will definitely be cashed in later on in life. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2002, 05:41 AM   #46
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Could'na said it better myself dude.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:54 AM   #47
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

(caleb is one) who seem to think that is is REALLY cool to punch cones, pop e's or get smacked out all day - maybe the media, the clubs, the beautiful people all perpetuate that image.
Err...I never said that. The only things ive tried are cigarettes, alchohol, kava, marijuana..... and special brownies of course . You got me all wrong man. I dont think theres anything cool about being a crackhead. So....whats the biggest problem with communication again

[ 07-09-2002, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: caleb ]
Old 07-09-2002, 06:14 AM   #48
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

(caleb is one) who seem to think that is is REALLY cool to punch cones, pop e's or get smacked out all day - maybe the media, the clubs, the beautiful people all perpetuate that image.
Err...I never said that. The only things ive tried are cigarettes, alchohol, kava, marijuana..... and special brownies of course . You got me all wrong man. I dont think theres anything cool about being a crackhead. So....whats the biggest problem with communication again [/QUOTE]Mate, I know what you were thinking - I used to be in your shoes at your age. And when you're 28, you'll be in my shoes. Make an informed decision about whatever you do - don't be like a lemming and follow the crowd. Anyone can do that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But you make a good point about the communication thing.

[ 07-09-2002, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 07-09-2002, 06:56 AM   #49
lroyo

Just wanted to say thank you Memnoch. That was informative and honest, and I completely respect you more for it!

Avi.

Old 07-09-2002, 09:45 AM   #50
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Neb, i suppose next you're gonna say Maradonna was a lousy footballplayer if it wasn't for his daily dosis of coke, right ?
Didn't he think he had gods hand ?..well there ya go then