Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2002, 05:50 AM   #21
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

hmm I'm 16 and we use concentrated acid for some experiments, dilute mostly though (which is like 2mol-L). We use HCl, HNO3, H2SO4 and those are the main ones. However sometimes we use oxlic acid.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 05-18-2002, 06:26 AM   #22
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I hate when you're boiling something with the bunsen and it splashes on you! That hurts like hell! I suppose acid in a cut must be even worse

Hope you're ok now Beaumanoir. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2002, 08:05 AM   #23
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well spliting your thumb open and then putting vinegar on it because someone tells you it will help it is Never very smrt either [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2002, 08:13 AM   #24
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
hmm I'm 16 and we use concentrated acid for some experiments, dilute mostly though (which is like 2mol-L). We use HCl, HNO3, H2SO4 and those are the main ones. However sometimes we use oxlic acid.
I get to 'play' with fuming sulphuric/nitric, conc hydrochloric and glaciated acetic acid (hyper concentrated vinegar). These are truly nasty; I've seen someones shoe after they trod in some H2SO4, and there wasn't a lot of the sole left. I believe nitric acid is the worst of these in terms of skin damamge, fortunately I've never found this out first hand.

BTW mistral4543 was right about the best way to remove it. Rinsing under running water dilutes the acid, as well as removing it from the affected area. (Much like you would treat a normal burn). The trick is to get it under water as quickly as possible.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 05-18-2002, 08:19 AM   #25
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Who is Mr. Squidgy? You used the word chum
Old 05-18-2002, 08:31 AM   #26
Epona
Zartan

We only used dilute acids at school until age 16 - after that (when I was doing my A-Levels at college) we got to play with the concentrated acids which will eat your flesh away. Just be thankful it wasn't one of those, a stinging cut would be the least of your problems!
Old 05-18-2002, 09:32 AM   #27
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
Well spliting your thumb open and then putting vinegar on it because someone tells you it will help it is Never very smrt either [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img]
I once told a guy he had something in his eye while he was picking the chilli out of his lunch. I really wish I didn't do that now!

I'm not evil....honest!

Old 05-18-2002, 01:17 PM   #28
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Whats the matter with a little acid? The colors man....the colors.....
LOL!

I've Got Acid On Me Plenty Of Times, Its Just When it gets in a cut!
Old 05-18-2002, 01:33 PM   #29
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
I once told a guy he had something in his eye while he was picking the chilli out of his lunch. I really wish I didn't do that now!

I'm not evil....honest!
[/QUOTE]OUCH OUCH OUCH! Done that a few times after cutting those little thai chillis - nasty! But I don't understand the bit about him picking them out of his lunch - does not compute The hotter the better as far as I'm concerned
Old 05-18-2002, 02:02 PM   #30
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
OUCH OUCH OUCH! Done that a few times after cutting those little thai chillis - nasty! But I don't understand the bit about him picking them out of his lunch - does not compute The hotter the better as far as I'm concerned [/QB]
After a couple of 'bad experiences', I now make sure I've washed my hands several times before going to the toilet. :couldn't_find_a_smilie_that_matches_the_sensation :
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?