Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 03:04 PM   #31
Durwyn
Elminster

OMFG! THIS IS AWESOME!

As a true fanatic of IWD, and well a much less of a fan of BG series, I will LOVE to see IWD2! OMG this is perhaps the greatest thing this year [img]smile.gif[/img] well excpet maybe Heroes 4, I dont know but NWN doesnt even excite me as much as the sound of Icewind Dale 2 . And wow! The GOLD DWARVES shall make their place in IWD2 . Well feeling good already and awaiting IWD2 . YEA! HURRAY FOR BLACK ISLE! The only little dissapointment however is that there still will be no NPCs and not even Drizzt or Wulfgar , and the engine is just a tad bit improved still keeping almost the exact same look as HoW. Well still, impatiently waiting .
Old 02-05-2002, 07:36 PM   #32
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Can anyone tell me then, whether or not IWD is worth buying? I have watched the rear of the box a couple of times, but it looked all of the same to me. And now Ziroc sez he thinks that IWD was better than BG, I'm beginning to doubt. Any advice would be welcome.

I thought IWD was better than the original Baldur's Gate, but not as intricate as Baldur's Gate II.

I've seen IWD in stores for something like $20. It's a steal at that price.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:49 PM   #33
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:

Nope. The story takes place a generation after the original, whatever that may mean with Elves and Dwarves around, whose generations take lots of time. But anyways, you can't import your chars from IWD1.

Darn! I really liked my thief from IWD. I guess that demon from IWD will be back, since he as much as threatened to in the final movie.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 02-05-2002, 08:23 PM   #34
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Some of you have asked how IWD compares to BG/BG2. Here's my perspective. Pls bear in mind that I have played both IWD/HoW/ToLM and BG2/ToB, but not BG/ToSC (although that is resident on my hard drive, having got it a few days ago).

1. IWD has a story, and while not as epic as the one that runs through the BG series, it is a nice story nonetheless.

2. IWD is a lot of hack n' slash. Go to this area, fight baddies. Move on to the next, fight more baddies.

3. No PC-NPC interaction in IWD. You have to create all your party members, which can range from one to six.

4. IWD is pretty linear - you need to finish up in one area before you can proceed to the next. For instance, the first major quest area is called "Vale of Shadows" and you only find out about it when you reach Kuldahar, your main base of operations. You only learn about the next area (Temple of the Forgotten God, iirc) once you finish Vale of Shadows and return to Kuldahar to talk to the guy who asked you to go to Vale of Shadows in the first place. And so on.

5. The additional parts of IWD (Heart of Winter, Trials of the Luremaster) seem to be an afterthought and doesn't really fit in seamlessly with the main IWD plot (in fact, they are totally unrelated). You can start the HoW quests by either finishing the main IWD game (and starting an expansion-only game using the party from IWD which is exported at the end of the game), or in-game, in which case you have to finish the HoW part before you can finish the main IWD game.

6. Similarly, the ToLM quests can only be started in HoW, and must be finished before you can resume HoW.

All said, I honestly prefer Bg2 over IWD. Although IWD is enjoyable, towards the end the endless fighting started to affect me (as did the latter part of ToB). BG2 seemed to offer more depth and flexibility, and the NPCs in BG2 really helped make the game enjoyable.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:19 AM   #35
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Agreed Hayashi.

But since IWD and HOW now can be bought to a lower price then a new game. So for that price you will get a couple of hours of good fighting and lovely music, great graphics. The "feel" of IWD is genuine and actually really good.

If you like the BG and BG2 types of games you should try it, but get IWD HOW to it, that way you won´t feel like you are playing BG1 again..

Don´t eat the yellow snow