Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 07:44 AM   #11
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

May 2002??? It's coming out this May???!!!! Wooohoooo!!!!

::wonder if I can get this cursed thing fixed by then....beginning to wonder::
Old 02-05-2002, 09:07 AM   #12
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Personally I enjoyed IWD a GREAT deal more than either BG or BG2. I finished IWD twice and have yet to play either of the BG series through to the end. Personally, the first time I played BG2, I was put off because there were so many side quests. I of course had no walkthrough nor did I download one and was running around in circles trying to complete the dozen quests I had after walking into the bizaar. The only quest I cared about was gettig Imoen back, and you just forget about her for 75% of that game.

Yeah, IMHO the game works best from a roleplaying point of view if you just do the D'Arnise keep, Aran Linvail's quests, go get Immy, and THEN, after you get out of the Underdark, do all the fun side quests. That way, Immy is not so far behind everybody else in the party, and I don't feel guilty about chasing Firkraag or something while Irenicus is torturing Immy.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 02-05-2002, 09:12 AM   #13
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Yaaaah!
We get to play Drow, and Tieflings, and Half-Orcs!
*runs around in circles, making somersaults and backflips*
New kits! New races! Endless possibilities!
Half-Orc Bards! I hope.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:21 AM   #14
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I know Ziroc doesn't like posting the same reply twice, but my question probably fits better here than the lawsuit thread.

I noticed that Interplay is publishing IWD2. What's up with that? I know Bioware and Black Isle are two separate entities, but will Bioware's break with Interplay somehow affect Black Isle or IWD2?
Old 02-05-2002, 10:20 AM   #15
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Hmm wonder if its going to be another dungeon crawl or actually have some story to it.

EDIT: Oh wait, just read it "...and offers more of the classic dungeon crawl experience" Bah, I am not buying it.

I know where you're coming from on this. IWD bored me after a while, because I wanted the appearance of greater non-linearity and interparty dialog/actions that were such strong features of BG2. That said, I'll probably go for it, anyway. If nothing else, I'm willing to bet it will offer tactical fun--which is what I see IWD as: a tactical battle game, with fantasy skins.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:30 AM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Well there are a lot of IWD naysayers, but personally I loved it - and have replayed it more than BGII.

There WAS a story and a plot - if you think otherwise, you are possibly getting confused between 'story' and 'role-playing' - you can have a story in a linear game, heck most linear games have a story. And you don't get more linear than a book, would you say that didn't have a story just because you had no option to make choices along the way? And IMO the IWD story was a great one, as games go.

One thing that surprises me is that I posted that IWD II had been announced some months ago in the IWD forum - hehehe! So no surprise at all really, but good to see there is now an official site and some progress. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will definitely buy it.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:16 AM   #17
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Personally I loved IWD, and I can see myself buying this very soon after it comes out.
Also, I agree with Epona, if you think IWD doesn't have a plot, you obviously weren't concentrating on the game, it's just that it has the same plot each time.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:28 AM   #18
Link
Jack Burton

Can anyone tell me then, whether or not IWD is worth buying? I have watched the rear of the box a couple of times, but it looked all of the same to me. And now Ziroc sez he thinks that IWD was better than BG, I'm beginning to doubt. Any advice would be welcome.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 02-05-2002, 11:32 AM   #19
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Can anyone tell me then, whether or not IWD is worth buying? I have watched the rear of the box a couple of times, but it looked all of the same to me. And now Ziroc sez he thinks that IWD was better than BG, I'm beginning to doubt. Any advice would be welcome.

Same counts for me, I'm not really into hack n' slash games so I didnt buy it. But perhaps I should re-consider.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:11 PM   #20
Angel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Since when was the greatest threat to humanity goblins and orcs?
I mean although I'm a lil girl but in BG saga and IWD we fought some pretty mean baddies right?
Do I have to be on level 1 fighting silly lil thingys again?