Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 07:51 AM   #71
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Gab:
We'll I apologize for what I said yesterday and hope that people aren't still pissed at me.

Another concerned question: Do you guys stay up really late on school/work nights?
Gab, I'm not sure how old you are, but for many people the old 9-5 no longer applies.

Here's a scenario; as I said earlier, I work at a 24 hour 365 day a year venue. This means I have the distinct possibility (and reality) of working across all hours at some point.

A lot of my work also needs continuity - if it's a job that takes 12-16 hours a day for 20 days straight, you can't leave after 8 hours, and take two days off out of every seven. The gig falls apart if you do.

So I may find myself finishing at 2am after a 14 hour day, and have to start at 9am. Take out 2 hours for transport... I get home, know I have a maximum of 4 hours to sleep, will probably get 3 at best... Look at the computer and think, "I might jump on IW for a few minutes".

Why? Cause all Work-Travel-Sleep-Travel-Work-etc and no play makes Leonis a very dull (and cagey) Lion.

Other nights substitute clubbing/pubbing with friends for IW.

Why put myself through this?

Many reasons. I love my work. 1/2 my working life has been spent in crappy low paying jobs that I despised. This one is one I really enjoy, pays well, and is advancing my career. I am also friends with the people I work with.

This is turning out to be a long winded way of saying, while I think your concern is well meant, it's a little naive. People don't just use these forums as a distraction between school and bedtime. I keep in touch with my brother via them. Many members have many different reasons for being here.

Observe, learn, understand, broaden your world view (as I think you are trying to do) but please don't condescend.

Take care mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2003, 08:19 AM   #72
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Hey Leonis if you don't mind me asking what is your job?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:34 AM   #73
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Audio Engineer. Mainly live. Mainly theatre at the moment. There's been a lot of rock over the years too.

I am currently the house engineer for my theatre. We do everything from musicals and rock concerts through comedy and magic to corporate conferences and sporting events.

The 'theatre shows' - ie, musicals, plays etc... are the ones that require continuity. There's a lot of trust built between the performers and the techs, and often not only their performance, but their safety relies on you knowing exactly where and when everything happens. (We must all be multi-skilled to stay employed, hence I might be micing people up while making sure no one falls through the 3 story hole in the stage...)

It's great fun and very rewarding, but a lot of hard work too.

What's your job and why are you here at 1/2 past midnight?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #74
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Audio Engineer. Mainly live. Mainly theatre at the moment. There's been a lot of rock over the years too.

I am currently the house engineer for my theatre. We do everything from musicals and rock concerts through comedy and magic to corporate conferences and sporting events.

The 'theatre shows' - ie, musicals, plays etc... are the ones that require continuity. There's a lot of trust built between the performers and the techs, and often not only their performance, but their safety relies on you knowing exactly where and when everything happens. (We must all be multi-skilled to stay employed, hence I might be micing people up while making sure no one falls through the 3 story hole in the stage...)

It's great fun and very rewarding, but a lot of hard work too.

What's your job and why are you here at 1/2 past midnight?

Everybody stays up late on IW because everybody has something to say to someone else on whatever matter it maybe and that something for some reason cannot be or already has been told to some folks around you!

Plus it's fun to be here, drunk or not [img]graemlins/1drunk.gif[/img] , and to talk to people who share the same general interests you do. People in my neighbourhood are more concerned with the latest cellphones and how many women one can score in one week. So for roleplaying and fantasy matters I need to come here. But the rule of distance applies, so first I must attend the matters nearby (school, work and such) and then come the matters far away (RPG's!). Coincidently, this is also the rule of prioritizing! So it is only logical to think that you'll be here more often during the span of one night, than the dawn of a new day.... [img]graemlins/1daisy.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2003, 10:08 AM   #75
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

Everybody stays up late on IW because everybody has something to say to someone else on whatever matter it maybe and that something for some reason cannot be or already has been told to some folks around you!

Plus it's fun to be here, drunk or not [img]graemlins/1drunk.gif[/img] , and to talk to people who share the same general interests you do. People in my neighbourhood are more concerned with the latest cellphones and how many women one can score in one week. So for roleplaying and fantasy matters I need to come here. But the rule of distance applies, so first I must attend the matters nearby (school, work and such) and then come the matters far away (RPG's!). Coincidently, this is also the rule of prioritizing! So it is only logical to think that you'll be here more often during the span of one night, than the dawn of a new day.... [img]graemlins/1daisy.gif[/img]
Nicely put! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2003, 10:29 AM   #76
Lavindathar
Harper

Luvian, its dropped.

I stay up on here til 2am as a rule and then have to be up at 8am the next morning........no biggy.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:38 AM   #77
wellard
Dracolisk

I'm here at all times because I am a shift worker. If say I finish work at the airport at 2am and get home at near 3am how else would you unwind? wake the wife and kids up? watch late night tv adverts? or talk to you muppets

Currantly im awake because i'm feeling as sick as a dog. Its 2.35 am

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-18-2003, 10:39 AM   #78
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

My GAWD! And to think this all started because LadyZ was remeniscing about the days gone by when we would all gather on a Saturday night, get drunk and run up a thread to about 800 posts in a couple of hours, crash the site, start a new thread and do it all over again. Some of the oldsters here will remember that amazing feeling of comeraderie, Gray Mage, Stealthy, LadyZ, Bilquis, Lord of Alcohol, Tanis, the whole dang gang. Man, those times were very, very fun. Most of the people on the site would be good and tanked by the end and that's whern the REAL fun would start. I still remember LadyZ dancing and banging her head to the Limp Bizkit tune "Livin' Life In the Fast Lane" from Charlie's Shite Jukebox!!! ROFLMAO!!! Those were the days!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #79
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Oh my god, can this be good ? I say we take away LadyZ's booze to prevent outbursts like that in the future.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:29 AM   #80
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Not nearly as creepy as seeing her french kiss a skeleton...
that my friends can stunt your growth!!!!