Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
quietman1920

was feeling a bit testy about an MSNBC article about bad programming and I actually wrote a letter today. While I'm sure that no one in authority will see it, its nice to think that i gave an Intern a good laugh:

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 'The shows that won't die are back...' by By Sarah D. Bunting
To: Living@MSNBC.com

Original article link:

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5559971/

Dear MSNBC,

I was reading the recent article on your web site entitled 'The shows that won't die are back. Nobody watches them, why are they on?' It made me think about TV. (And good journalism should make you think.) It made me think of Sarah Bunting as some human equivalent to Robo Cop's 'ED-209', complete with manifesto: 'Change your programming immediately; you have 10 seconds to comply!'

Its sad to note that Sarah doesn't like some of the shows listed. But guess what: I do. My wife & kids even like them too. Specifically, I like watching Jim Belushi on 'According to Jim'. I like the fact that there is a show that Actually Highlights a Disney vacation. Lets face it: there are a lot more people saving up to take their kids to Disney than there are who are studying to be Medical Examiners or Serial Killer profilers. I like watching JAG, too. Maybe its those F-18 Super Hornets. If you asked me, there are a LOT of shows that could use some F-18 Super Hornets. Like 'The Amazing Race' that Sarah favors. Lets see that team of roommates make it through Fallujah with a squadron of Hornets strafing their tails. Or even better, the reality TV show 'SURVIVOR'. Lets see those pillars of our modern moral society face the challenges of life on a new island:SURVIVOR: Vieques, Puerto Rico. Do you really think they'll care who is bedding down whom when the USS New Jersey is reigning 16 inch shells on their heads like ticker-tape confetti? But that's just my taste: On TV, I prefer professional actors to back-shaving cab drivers. I don't think I'm alone in that either.

Besides, TV needs lighter fare to be broadcast before 9PM if only to be of service to the children that watch after homework and before bed. There have been several instance where some popular CSI spin off pops onto our screen and before I can change the channel, my kids are treated to sights of disemboweled corpses, drugs & guns. Its one thing to explain to kids why drugs and guns are bad, but its ridiculous to have to explain why gory pictures of ripped apart bodies are on TV before 'bedtime'. Its also the height of hypocrisy, as you steadfastly refuse to show anything but 'sanitized' news footage of what goes on in IRAQ.

So lets see, did I cover all the points I wanted to make? Sarah Bunting - Idiot. Neutral family-oriented programming - Good. Professional Actor productions - Good. Reality TV - Lazy & Beneath you. Corpse-O-Rama Gut-Fest - Either Broadcast it later or put it on the 6 o'clock news. Well, I feel better.

Thanks.

QM
Old 09-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Very much liked that, Quiet man! Rock on, brother, some very good points there! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Must say, there is one good reality show: Last Comic Standing. This is prolly because they're all professionals, though. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

I think survivor with a convicted serial killer on the island with them, would be pretty cool too, i'd watch it.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:57 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
I think survivor with a convicted serial killer on the island with them, would be pretty cool too, i'd watch it.
Hahaha, or if they made Liberty City Survivor (GTA III) except in another city.
Basically they say "we get a heap of recently parolled guys, equip them with grenade launchers and flame throwers, and let them hunt each other down!!!"
Great article Quitman.