Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-15-2004, 01:09 AM   #21
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Can I get in on this?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:17 AM   #22
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I want to vomit, after reading about that...sick people...sick sick sick sick sick....

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:18 AM   #23
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Can I get in on this?
Haha, as if any person ever requires another's permission to use their gift of speech!
Old 09-15-2004, 01:56 AM   #24
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I did not want to but in on a little debate between you guys. Respect, ya now?

Actually, I am to tired to really get into it, for I have much to say, mostly in your defense hiero, about this issue. I will be back, as always, in the morning.
Goodnite guys, play nice. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 09-15-2004, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 09-15-2004, 01:58 AM   #25
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:

Goodnite guys, play nice. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Sleep well [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2004, 04:51 AM   #26
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmph.. how about i slit thier throat, skin them, and put thier heads in the freezer. i wonder how artsy would they feel.

although i did enjoy hannibal, red dragon and the other one (forgot the name) which is more twisted humor for me.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 AM   #27
Spirits forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Art, IMO, is by definition peaceful. It can challenge, shock, or disgust by its exploration of certain themes, but I certainly draw the line at inflicting permanent injury or death. Bleah.

Despite any "artistic" motivations the perpetrators may have had, this classifies as brutality, cruelty, sadism, whatever you want to call it.
yeah, i agree, but i mean what Hiero said stands as well, although like u said, the line has to be drawn somewhere. i mean if they wanted to show something like that, there are many other ways to do that other than directly killing the cat ,no killing it thru torture.. well then again what heiro said, about bombing rape etc being art. i have to disagree, ART imo is somthing that stirs a very certian emotion in a person, (be it thru paintings, sculpture, poetry, drawings, music and more) but not at the expense of another living being.
then again, just because it stirs emotions doesnt necessarily make it art, being human, i'm sure u all know, but we do feel alot of emotions, and sometimes for no resons. so then everything would be considered art, cause everything has the potential to stir emotions. example "you've got a crappy vase, but it was given to you by ur dead aunt, and a kid comes in an breaks it" that would stir emotions in most people, but that's not necesarily art is it?

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] phew, well i g2g school, will continue this, when back

Old 09-15-2004, 08:18 AM   #28
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
although i did enjoy hannibal, red dragon and the other one (forgot the name) which is more twisted humor for me.
You mean Silence of the lambs???

Anyway, this is just wrong, im all up for killing as long as its not real and done in a purposful or humoress way, what they did was wrong, and there is absolutly nothing that can justify what they did.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #29
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

I don't consider this to be 'art'. Not because it is moraly repugnent (which it is) or even because it is completely trivial (which it is), but because it is not static. A work of art is an object, not an activity*. The question has to be asked why present this as a work of art, and not as an obscene film or a political protest? The reason is that a lot of pretentious people consider art to be anything that is shocking.
The statement it claims to make about our attitudes to the treatment of animals is no justification. Art should express something which can't be expressed verbally. If all you are doing is making an obvious social/political/moral statement, just say it.

*I am refering to art in the way sculpture and painting is art not in the context of an 'art form'. Music is an art form, but if you asked a musician what they do, they would say 'musician', not 'artist'.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:17 AM   #30
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I don't have to click on the link to know that what it contains is not "ART" in any shape, form or fashion. From the title of the link and the comments made so far, it is obvious it is nothing more than an exercise is mindless (or idiotic) brutality and the term "art" is simply used to justify the sadism perpetrated in the clip.

Lady Z - you mentioned back towards the beginning of the thread that you thought the methods of killing animals in slaughterhouses was supposedly quick and more or less "humane". While I don't have any personal experience in that field, I do have a bit of knowledge about the issue. You are correct that it is important for the animal to be killed as quickly and "cleanly" as possible. If it isn't killed instantly, it will bleed internally and that will affect the quality of the meat. So, while some may find the mere existence of "slaughterhouses" to be reprehensible, from the viewpoint of the people that actually kill the animals, it is necessary for quality and productivity that the animals be killed quickly with as little trauma and suffering as possible.