Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Letter

The organisers of the Parkes Elvis Festival in the central west of NSW are seeking legal advice about changes to the rules surrounding Elvis Presley impersonators.

An American billionaire who owns the rights to the Elvis name and likeness is working to stop "unauthorised" impersonators as part of a plan to open a show and exhibit in Las Vegas dedicated to 'the king'. More than 5,000 people travel to Parkes each year to see hundreds of Elvis look-a-likes and celebrate his music.

The festival's Monique Kronk says very few details about the shake-up are known but organisers want to ensure it will not threaten the event. "We've got to discuss not just how it affects the festival itself but ... who are coming in and we don't know quite yet enough about what they are planning to change," she said.

"But obviously we'll have to speak to Elvis Presley Enterprises and maybe we can negotiate some sort of licence that will cover for the whole festival - festival goers coming - we don't know enough yet about the situation."

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

This has got to be a joke. Someone owns the rights to impersonate Elvis?

Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yes of course, that would be Elvis himself. you DO know the man isn't dead, right ?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not surprised, really. It seems if one has enough money, anything can be bought these days!

Hope the festival works out, Wellard. I can see this guy's point, wanting to authorize things if he does own the rights to it, but it seems a little petty to hold up the festival now, when they could have said something a long time ago an worked it out. It seems like the festival people are pretty willing to be reasonable and accomodating about things!

PS: I wonder if I can acquire the rights to 'Johnny' lookalikes...hehe....beer festivals of the world...look out! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[ 04-19-2006, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Only in America...
*shakes his head solemnly*
Well, I have heard similar rumours about various festivals before, so we will see exactly how successful this billionaire is. I just hope that the guy isn't a Scientologist on top of that. (No details, as those people truly frighten me.)
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

gah, I heard about this on the radio...

What a moron

Oh well, I find it hard to believe that this will actually stop the impersonators, and good on em if they turn up.

No one should have the right to prevent anyone from celebrating a celebrity
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quick research shows that this may well be true, but it's not "an American billionaire". The Elvis Presley Foundation controls the licensing of Elvis and his name and products, and anyone trying to use his name and products for their own commercial purposes would need a license.

Interestingly, fan clubs are exempt from the licensing requirements. Other exceptions may exist.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

PS: I wonder if I can acquire the rights to 'Johnny' lookalikes...hehe....beer festivals of the world...look out! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I already own the rights to Johnny ininebriatedcorporated (Australian division unlimited)

Old 04-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Yes of course, that would be Elvis himself. you DO know the man isn't dead, right ?
Which begs the question, if Elvis was alive and posting on Ironworks, which member is he? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

[ 04-20-2006, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: wellard ]

Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

The confusion continues...

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote