Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-03-2001, 09:08 PM   #1
Sinnestersteve
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, I've decided to make some kind of a fighter, but I dont know which class/kit makes the best combo. I do plan to use the half-orc race for the extra mussel and HP's, but as to just what to make him Im not sure. The barbarian gets the extra hit points and some resistance to dmg, but he cant wear plate and is unable to gain more than a specilized lvl in any weapon. The fighter kits look to be quite good, but wich really makes the most powerfull and truly covers for any of the disadvantages? Also, what is the best way to spread out my weapon skills, as to power full blades and availability? Is 2 weapon style recomended or the classic sword and shield? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:30 PM   #2
daeomer
Manshoon

Well from what I've heard it is recommended to use two-handed weapons over either of the other two options. I like one-handed weapons and a shield myself, but if you want to use two-weapon style most people say to make sure you plug all three slots of ability upgrade.
I wouldn't recommend the wizard slayer, although I am using one now who is clearing through everything so far. Maybe a Beserker? People also seem to think the Kensai is pretty lethal but I haven't tried it. If you like to wear fancy armor don't take a Barbarian or Kensai though.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:51 PM   #3
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Suggestion: I think a berserker dual wielding axes would be DEADLY!!!!
Old 11-03-2001, 09:56 PM   #4
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

The fighter kits are better than the barbarian class. IMHO. There is a big difference between
having two slots filled, as opposed to five slots.
More hits equals more damage. If you need the
extra AC against missiles, then use the shield
style. Otherwise, you can still use a weapon and
shield and not be penalized. Two weapons is much
better than weapon and shield. Two weapons are (IMO) better than two handed.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:54 PM   #5
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I normally play a fighter kit and initially started out with an Orc myself. Halfway through a game I decided I wanted to try something different than the traditional fighter class, so I opted for a Kensai because it seemed like it would be a real challenge. After I became accustomed to playing as a Kensai, I haven't gone back to any other fighter kit. Once he levels up a few times they are very, very tough.
Another thing to bear in mind, is that if you want to have any of the romances, you will not be able to have them with an Orc. None of the women will initiate romance dialogue with an Orc.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:09 AM   #6
chinese noodle
Manshoon

i say go with plain fighter and 5 slots in katana
once you get celestial fury, OVERKILL!

:1demondog:
Old 11-04-2001, 03:33 AM   #7
Kingenigma
The Magister

I love barbarian rage, but berserker is more consistent fighter than barbs due to armor restrictions and 5 slot prof.(Got nerfed in BG2 tho).

4 Kensais I'd dual him/her to mage for added protection. As for Wizardslayers, well...

Paladins can be just as good (only 2 slots but hey, they have extra abilities!!!)
Old 11-04-2001, 04:07 AM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

use barb!!!

at level 19, your barb will have 45% something physical resistance, and if you use the bonus weapon on your off hand, you will have close to 60% physcail resistance, that makes you nearly untouchable by anything due to your huge amount of HP

barb runs faster than any class! (a huge bonus in dueling, PvP)

fighter's dont really need anything beyong specialization

specialized, there is like 2 thac0 difference, and 3 dmg difference, not a big deal

remember to put 3 slots in dual wield, (because you need off-hand weapon to be that bonus cd weapon)

and you dont need full plate, there are many other good armor out there for you

heck, they cannot hurt you physically anyway
Old 11-04-2001, 04:27 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I will go with Berserker.

Berserker's Rage protects from Imprisonment, Barbarian's Rage does not.

Berserkers have more attacks per round, couple with more damage per hit, this means Berserkers will deal more damage than a Barbarian per round.

Berserkers can wear any kind of armour, making him more versatile when it comes to tooling up for combat.
Old 11-04-2001, 04:30 AM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

berserker does 2 more dmg than barb in same condition, they attack the SAME amoung of times

while barb has close to 70% physical resistance AND tons of more HP, also, GODLY saving throw

use halfling barbarian, this is all I say. halfling barb is the best

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: DM of FAoIW ]