Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #21
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I can't believe that nobody mentioned Druids! They rock! Their spells are cool, they are good melee fighters, and their special abilities, such as Wild Shape, can't be beat. In my opinion, Druid is one of the best classes.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #22
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
quote:
I hate to correct you Wolfgir, but the game doesn't penalize you for having 2 levels apart. Maybe 3, but not 2. I didn't lose anything when I was raising up levels. My character was a Ranger - 6, Rogue - 4, and Sorceror 2. Didn't have any problems with that character. I did raise him up to Ranger - 11, Rogue - 4, Sorceror - 5.
Well I was just thinking that they didnīt lie all through the manual Tobbin hehe
Itīs only ten percent and as the XP has varied in the game between patches (at least it feels like that)
The manual and the rules says that you should keep none favoured classes at 1 level difference or suffer XP penalty, but it doesnīt state how much. In the PnP version itīs something like 10% for two levels, 20% for three and 40% for more or something like that, Iīm too lazy and too uncaring to go fetch my book in the pile of papers right now

And itīs for new XP, you donīt drop..
Well alot of things in this game donīt add up correctly but itīs still fun. By the way, try a Monk/rouge character and make orange robes of Davros fury and boots of speed!

Jackie Chan moments anyone??
[/QUOTE]You know, that Monk character sounds pretty cool. LOL. They get pretty deadly at higher levels. Reminds me of 1st edition. Jeez, they were so overpowered, it was crazy. I'm not sure what the issue is with the level penalties with multi-class. They say that in the manual, but it doesn't appear to be enforced in gameplay. There are a few other issues that don't appear to translate correctly too. I was stating what I observed back when the 1.21 patch had come out. I think there is a newer version now, so what I said may no longer be true. To be honest, I was having so much fun with the character, that I only worried about issues that affected him directly. One of the examples of the rules that are not enforced is the rule about Ranger abilities. I have worn Plate Mail, and it does affect his spell-casting, but it also states that this should disable his Ranger abilities. Well, I can still go into Stealth mode (granted that this may affect who can "see" him as Plate Mail makes a lot of noise, lol) and can still track out creatures around me (Listen and seek skills don't appear to be affected). So really, what skills are affected by the armor? Hmmm. Maybe dual wielding. I used to do dual wielding exclusively in the campaign as having a lower AC didn't really affect my character too bad. However, now when I go into online mods, I need all the AC I can squeeze out. So I just use 1 weapon and a shield now. What good is it to hit someone with dual wield if you die in a couple of seconds. LOL. Maybe some of the classes when combined will offset some of the weaknesses of whichever class that has them. My character is a tri-class. He has some strengths as a tri-class, but he is somewhat diluted since he is not Pure Vanilla. I don't know. I hope that when the expansion comes out, or when they have EPIC RULES integrated, that I can continue raising levels. Until then, I will be satisfied with how he is.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:19 AM   #23
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Is your monk wearing ORANGE ROBES????

Geesh, what a geeky looking monk - how is he ever going to stamp any credibility into Neverwinter on a dark and stormy night. I bet all the henchman think he bats left handed
I donīt use Henchmen, after playing this game now with 15 different characters I have kinda gotten bored with chapter one, so I made a mod were you can get XP enough to level up to appropriate (or unapropriate level for that) to start directly at level 2 or three.

Orange robes rules!
Lets say that I noticed that the robe has been very kind to the animals on the female version.. I didnīt know that fighting gear left a long open back and some see through patches on the front.. must be very handy in combat.. :S??

Well back to the drawing board, I want flowing orange robes of Davros!

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:23 AM   #24
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi Tobbin!
Yepp, well with the latest patch I noticed the warning about me having less XP due to uneven classes.. Had to try your version to check.. damn, it didnīt work!

Well the Rangers dual wielding is a "virtual feat" must have special compensations to work, and it SHOULDN`T work in medium or heavy armour, but well as stated, so many other things have been mecky. I noticed that for my wizard/ranger/rouge who used the feat to wield weapons wih dex to hit, lost that ability when I drank a potion of BS and then had to reload to get it back.. :S Weird..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:02 AM   #25
Loredweller
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, if you want real power, Willard is quite right - Druid rules. If you add 1-2 levels of Fighter (just to get more weaponry) or Monk, then even more. Of course, only if your WIS is 19 or more, the shapechange cannot be overvalued.

[ 09-19-2002, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Loredweller ]
Loredweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 01:59 PM   #26
Obsidian the Black
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
I can't believe that nobody mentioned Druids! They rock! Their spells are cool, they are good melee fighters, and their special abilities, such as Wild Shape, can't be beat. In my opinion, Druid is one of the best classes.
Right on Willard.... Druids are THE best!!!

p.s. I posted a reply about the druid before u but my comp crashed before I finished it.
Obsidian the Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:03 AM   #27
Big Bad Bear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think I like the Monk best. He / She's got style! I prefer to take an Elven one, because of that Weapon Finesse feat combined with their higher than average dexterity. Throw in some wisdom enhancing items and hey presto, at level 20 you can have something like 30 or 35 ac easy. With a little planning (and a copy of the DnD 3rd Edition core rulebook) this is probably the most easy character to play.

Of course, I AM a lazy bastard, so my philosophy is "Charge!" most of the time. (Haven't died yet though) The monk is very forgiving in that aspect.

I am thinking about doing a rogue next, i prefer the "pure" class choices.

Well, that's it for my first post (gosh) [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

P.S. is it just my European version manual or is basically more than half of it missing?
Old 10-02-2002, 11:39 AM   #28
Wolven
Dungeon Master

Be careful with that potion of BS, not everyone in the game will believe you and the ones that donīt will try to kill you (sorry, bad joke)
Old 10-03-2002, 12:01 PM   #29
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Bear:

P.S. is it just my European version manual or is basically more than half of it missing?
alot of things are missing, things like keen (which you have to find looking else where in the manual as it isn't in any kind of items properties section) and some descriptions of what other things do, basically there are alot of things left out that if you don't have the 3rd edition books you won't know.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:23 AM   #30
Big Bad Bear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sigh. Oh Well. Is a basic players handbook enough? It says core rulebook #1 in the bottom... Any other tips on rulebooks that might be usefull or interesting to read Morgeruat? (I just played my first pen and paper DnD it was very entertaining!)

Oh and Wolven? I know I may come on as a great old BS talking person but I tried it out this morning (created a legal char, then fired up the toolset to create this overkill character... I'll give you the stats below)

And yes, I do know that we'll probably never get this stuff together in this way but it's fun to dream, right?

Basic Statitistics (lvl 1 elven monk)--Lawful Good Alignment--

Str.: 11
Dex.: 15 (includes elven bonus)
Con.: 10 (includes elven penalty)
Wis.: 18 (I put those 5 enhancement points in here for Wis.:23 @ lvl 20)
Int.: 10
Cha.: 08 (with a nymph cloak +5 it comes to 13)

I used the following "overkill" kit:

Robes of the Shining Hand +5 AC modifier
Bracers of Dexterity +5
Belt of Agility +4 (dexterity bonus)
Ring of Protection +5 (Don't leave home without one... [img]graemlins/check.gif[/img] )
Periapt of Wisdom +5

Non armor related:
Boots of striding +5 (for much needed +5 bonus to Constitution)
Nymph Cloak +5 (so people will at least treat me normally [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] )

Grand total of AC: 40... (an [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] may be in order here...)

for my feat selection:
toughness, weapon finesse, weapon focus unarmed, dodge, mobility, imp. critical unarmed, lightning reflexes.

Again, it's extremely beardy but i don't get hit very often. Of course WHEN I get hit it hurts like hell but hey, you can't have everything right?