Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
philip
Galvatron

So what's the point. I have been running into those forums a few times lately and it annoys the hell out of me. Today I come across some excuse that it keeps banned members from the boards. WTF they've never heard of blocking IP-addresses? And what annoys me more is that this forum that uses this rule is from a company, like those people get paid for managing the forums. How hard is it to ban someone again, like everyone goes re-registering a thousand times cause it so much fun and worth the trouble waiting for activation mails and the like. I don't care if they want to keep that as a rule to keep those from the board but why include the search function in it. I'm a paying customer and I deserve the support of at least searching for the soldution to my probably easy problem/question. This con is like nearly outweighing the pro NVidia has for supporting linux with their drivers.

(RANT)
So excuse the (hmm there must be a nicer way to write this, at least I have to find one for my complaint email) out of me for being 17 years old and not having a real emailaddress I have to pay for. Do I deserve less service cause of some (and I doubt there are many) abusing this stuff.
(/RANT)

I see I've just found a way around this. Like if you're going to try blocking this stuff block mail forwarding as well. pwned.

What do you think of this? (edit blocking certain email domains.)

[ 06-29-2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
Old 06-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

It doesn't work. I used to play Graal online when it was free, and couldn't use my hotmail account to register. I just got a new adress from a more obscure free email service.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

You use webbased e-mail?! Stone him!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well since I have never and probably will never use a webbased email I couldn't care less... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2004, 03:18 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

I believe Fok!forum uses/used that same method [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Erm... I registered using a Hotmail account, I guess before that rule came into effect. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyhow, it's quite easy to circumvent an IP block. Which is possibly why they're banned.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 06-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Just to clarify his post, Ironworks does NOT do this. We allow any email address for registering.

Phillip, I am editing your title, it comes off as if you're talking about IW.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 06-29-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Just to clarify his post, Ironworks does NOT do this. We allow any email address for registering.

Phillip, I am editing your title, it comes off as if you're talking about IW.
Sorry, it looks better now [img]smile.gif[/img]

I know it's easy to go around IP-blocking but the people who do it can be banned again. What's the fun in having to activate forum accounts again and again to just cause a little trouble. And isn't it always possible to see if it's the same user? On another forum we had such a troublemaker and he came back three times and every time the mods had been able to get his real IP back (the one he used when he first registered) making sure he was the same.

I understand some forums do this, one I know was Gathering of Tweakers, cause they're someone's hobby (I think that's the case for GoT) but for a commercial company I think it's bad. Like if there are no problems anymore with the combination NWN+ATI and ATI+Linux I know my next video card won't be an Nvidia anymore but ATI (or possible some other brand)