Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-29-2001, 07:10 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This is something that happened in Sydney in a game of rugby league last weekend. Now I challenge ANYONE to tell me of a more bizarre charge being laid on a player - in ANY sport. It's getting downright dangerous to be a footy player

JOHN HOPOATE was handed a 12-week suspension late tonight after being found guilty of unsportsmanlike interference by the NRL judiciary in a bleak evening for the Wests Tigers.

After a two-hour hearing, the panel of Royce Ayliffe, Mal Cochrane and Jeff Hardy found Hopoate guilty of deliberately sticking his fingers up the anuses of North Queensland players Peter Jones, Paul Bowman and Glenn Morrison in Saturday night's match at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

They heard evidence from Hopoate, referee Tony Archer, Tigers coach Terry Lamb and from all three North Queensland players.

Hopoate's defence counsel Bernie Gross QC contended to Jones that his client had merely administered a "wedgie" on the Cowboy in the seventh minute of the match.

"It wasn't a wedgie. That's when your pants are pulled up your arse. I think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking their finger up my bum," said Jones, admitting that while both acts caused discomfort, they caused different sensations and he could differentiate between the two.

Jones claimed he hadn't provoked Hopoate and that afterwards he immediately expressed his "disgust" and gave the Tongan international a push.

Bowman said after tackling Hopoate in the 17th minute, he stood over the winger and "that's when I felt fingers inside my shorts pushing up my arse".

"There was pressure there. I know he wasn't doing it accidentally. He was definitely pushing.

"I was disgusted. I couldn't believe it. I know it's a tough game, but there's no room for that."

Gross argued that Bowman had been excessive in trying to slow Hopoate from playing the ball by grabbing the North Queensland captain's leg.

But Bowman maintained "if he (Hopoate) was a man, he wouldn't do that".

When pressed by Gross, Bowman became angry and asked the QC: "If I held your leg, would that give you the right to put your finger up my arse?"

In his conclusion, NRL judiciary commissioner Jim Hall described Hopoate's case as appalling.

"I must say in my 45 years' involvement in rugby league I've never come across a more disgusting allegation than I've had to deal with now," Hall said.

As North Queensland captain, Bowman protested against Hopoate's actions to referee Archer after the first two offences.

Archer said despite keeping a close eye on Hopoate for the rest of the game, he did not see the Wests player stick his fingers up anyone's anus.

I bet you nobody shook hands with him after the match - for more reasons than one.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 07:15 AM   #2
Sir_Tainly

Hell I played rugby at an all boys school, and I never heard anything like it

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 03-29-2001, 07:19 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Hell I played rugby at an all boys school, and I never heard anything like it

In case you were wondering, Hoppa's fingers are the size of sausages

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 07:19 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, I can't say I do... but I'm not that big a sports follower...
Just saying howdy to you and Sir T, this morning!

CloudKicker

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-29-2001, 07:27 AM   #5
Ziroc

No one will ever want him to touch the ball again!

Gross..

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Old 03-29-2001, 07:36 AM   #6
Erekose
The Magister

I thought it was quite funny to see the news presenter discuss that one, on channel 10 he said "I just read what they give me"
Old 03-29-2001, 07:37 AM   #7
Sir_Tainly

Morning Cloudy,Ziroc and Memnoch (cos I didn't say it earlier)

Memnoch, I don't want to think about this really, its lunchtime here

But thinking about it, in American football, the QB places his hands in the centre's crotch from behind, I always thought this a little "strange"

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick

Old 03-29-2001, 07:42 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Erekose:
I thought it was quite funny to see the news presenter discuss that one, on channel 10 he said "I just read what they give me"
When I read the news article I honestly couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes. Especially when Bowman says, "If I grabbed your leg, would that give you the right to stick your finger up my arse?"

Keep in mind that this is a 105 kg forward saying this.

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 07:48 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:

But thinking about it, in American football, the QB places his hands in the centre's crotch from behind, I always thought this a little "strange"

Ehm
Well he doesn't really TOUCH the centre's crotch, though.
Hopoate puts new meaning into the phrase 'fleet of finger', doesn't he?

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 07:50 AM   #10
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Ehm
Well he doesn't really TOUCH the centre's crotch, though.
Hopoate puts new meaning into the phrase 'fleet of finger', doesn't he?

I guess that depends on your QB , he's a lovely boy etc.

Up and under takes on a new meaning (shudders)

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick