Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2001, 03:38 AM   #1
ForgeX
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi pplz!
I recently loaded up one of my old saved games (Ranger/Cleric)and i had decided during that game to have an all good alligned party. Here is the party so far:
* Me- Ranger/Cleric
* Valygar (never had in my for long before)
* Jaheira
* Keldorn (Holy Avenger user =))
* Yoshimo/ Imoen
* Aerie/Nalia

Now here is my problem. I have never used either Nalia or Aerie exclusively before and i have no idea as who to take.
I am in the need of a mage to assist me in battle, and since Nalia and Aerie both fit the bill (mage and good-alligned). Edwin is evil-alligned so i do not wish to take him, as i will not be able to attain 20 rep legally.

So my questions to my fellow BGers is who is the better mage and more useful character. Take note however that i already have a cleric.
Thanks for any help!

------------------
One moment of weakness....
An eternity of pain....
Old 07-24-2001, 04:27 AM   #2
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

I'd say Aerie is the better choice. her combination of cleric and mage abilities means she can memorise a lot of spells in one go. Nalia's main plus point is that she's a thief but if you have Yoshimo or Imoen all she can offer is magical back up. alternatively, you could try Jan but I'd still say Aerie's the best choice for your party at this time.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:31 AM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Nalia has 17 Int, compared to Aerie's 16. This means that Nalia should be able to learn more spells.
But I'd go with Aerie, her cleric ability is a big plus, and there are potions that can temporarily boost the Int stat that she can use to learn all the spells she needs.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-24-2001, 05:19 AM   #4
ForgeX
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks!
Just a small question.
If you attain 20 rep with Jan in your party, does he leave?
Old 07-24-2001, 05:19 AM   #5
ForgeX
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks!
Just a small question.
If you attain 20 rep with Jan in your party, does he leave?
Old 07-24-2001, 05:30 AM   #6
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

no he does not, for Jan is a Chaotic Neutral gnome person.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
Old 07-24-2001, 06:43 AM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Nalias a far better mage, she levels up faster since she is not multi-classed.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:40 AM   #8
deathknight
Drow Warrior

If aerie is going to be your only mage the big issue I would have is that she is multi classed. Nalia will be casting the high level spells much sooner and as your only mage that will be a big deal. If you get rid of aerie though you might have some healing problems however so that could also be an issue for you. If you got it covered between your char and your ranger cleric then definatly go without the multiclassed mage. level 6 and 7 spells will come alot sooner!
Old 07-24-2001, 08:27 AM   #9
Guyan Sethe
Dungeon Master

How about this very "goodie & noble" party:

You - Ranger/Cleric

Keldorn - For the dirty work.
Mazzy - For the less dirty work.
Anomen - He becomes one of the good.
Nalia - Want´s to help the less fortunate.
Yoshi - Swoop him for Imoen later on.

Damn, the more i look at this party the more i want to try it myself.

------------------
Might makes right.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:11 AM   #10
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
Nalia has 17 Int, compared to Aerie's 16. This means that Nalia should be able to learn more spells.
But I'd go with Aerie, her cleric ability is a big plus, and there are potions that can temporarily boost the Int stat that she can use to learn all the spells she needs.

That what they make potions of genius for, have a drink and memorize ANY spell, and as many spells as are allowed, Gets rid of the limitaions of number that can be memorized.

Definitley Aerie.....Nalia sucks