Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-18-2001, 03:40 PM   #11
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I was very disappointed with the proficiency system in BG2. At least in Icewind Dale you get another half-attack and either 1 or 2 extra damamge from grandmastery. But it seems to me that in BG2 grandmastery is a waste of proficiencies. Sad, very sad.
The real disadvantage of multiclass is they loose quite a lot of hitpoints. For example, if you have level 9/10 dualclassed fighter/thief, he is only 1 hitpoint behind a pure level 10 fighter hit point wise. But a multiclass will be at least 18+(some hitpoint from constitution bonus) behind. That IMHO is the real disadvantage of multiclass.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:44 PM   #12
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I have avoided reading any but the first post 'cos I don't want to be influenced by other opinions, so forgive me if I repeat anything already said:

Single class is by far the best because of rapid advancement. However, having said that, Dual-class can be very good, especially you create a fighter with the attributes needed for whatever class you aim to dual to as well as fighter attributes, and then Dual immediately after the opening video to whatever class you have chosen.
Your fighter should only be given weapon proficiencies that your dual class can use, though - (pointless to have sword skill if you are duelling to Cleric and will be unable to use a sword). By the time you reach the end of the first dungeon you should have advanced in your new class to the level of your first, and soon after exiting the dungeon you should pass that level and have your fighter skills back. You are now an asset to the team instead of a liability!
I like to dual to either a Mage or a Cleric so I can be a bit picky about who I hire and get some variety into the team...

------------------

Old 07-18-2001, 03:56 PM   #13
koz-ivan
Manshoon

DJG - i hope you were kidding w/ that example. two handed swords need two handed weapons style, not single weapon. (+ i'm not too sure you can put more than 3 stars in a style) & w/o the GM patch grandmastery is a waste of stars imo.

the multi's & duals are about the same, it's a question of taste:

dual advantages:
kits, some hit points, proff slots. tends to advance quicker.

multi advantages:
races, never loses skills, special abilities from both classes.

dual disadvantages:
if dualing at high level, you have to wait a while to get primary skills back. you won't get high level abilities, or if 1st class spellcaster high level spells.
you have to be a human.
ability scores must be very high and somewhat oddy placed.

multi disadvantage:
slow to advance, at least levelups between weapon proff's
racial disadvantages elf 17 con for example.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:36 PM   #14
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

koz-ivan, I'm pretty sure your wrong: two-handed swords don't benefit from two-handed weapon style, thats for dual wielding. It lowers your dual wield penalty, and your off-hand THAC0. Single-weapon style is the style that best fits two-handed swords.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:43 PM   #15
koz-ivan
Manshoon

there are 4 weapon styles:

1 sword + shield (one handed weapons + shield) this lowers your a/c vs missles.

2 one handed weapon style (single weapon style), this lowers your ac by one and improves speed factor and crit rolls with a one handed weapon + nothing off hand.

3 two handed weapons, improves speed factor and critical rolls for two handed weapons i.e. spear, staff, two handed sword.

4 two weapon style, commonly called dual wield, this lessens the thaco penalties for dual wielding i.e. a one handed weapon in each hand.

look 'em up if you think i'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by koz-ivan (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 05:30 PM   #16
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I support koz-ivan, his explanation is correct.

BTW, nice to see another Bostonian here