Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #81
dplax
Jack Burton

Milanthir, if you are looking for a description of Vindson, there is one in Larry's post opening the game. If you need anything else than that, just send me a pm.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #82
dplax
Jack Burton

I have a question about Milanthir's looks. Does he look as any other elf would, or do his origins make him have distinguishing marks?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:56 AM   #83
Milanthir
Elite Waterdeep Guard

He looks much as any other elf would. (in terms of proportion/etc - his origin has no particular effect on anything other than his motives and some of the peculiarities of his thoughts). I'll try drawing a portrait once I get ahold of a scanner.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #84
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

For everyone

Oley left the area, followed by Simon, then Milanthir, each going in seperate directions. Now that Vindson has approached Sever and the guard, only Kasimno is left standing (to decide if he follows Vindson over to meet Sever or goes his own way).

Therefore, only Pandaros is left to place himself in this round. At last sight, Pandaros was near the burnt building but not specifically near any certain player or NPC per his previous post.

In a sadder tone of voice, I must annouce that Ivelliis, ie. Vallo has pulled out of the game, though he has promised to work on an exit strategy of his own making.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #85
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Sent Larry a few ideas to get Vallo removed.

[ 01-23-2006, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Ivelliis ]
Old 01-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #86
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Vallo

Vallo let out a long, drawn out sigh.

"I haven't got time for this!" He said, his voice raised.

The guards had stopped his only exit from this hell of a town.

"Well," He thought, "The only exit for weaker people."

Grinning evily, he began to cast a simple spell. Muttering under his breath, he felt a change in his body. The world around him started to increase in size, bigger and bigger.

"It worked!" He cheered loudly (although unhearable by un-shrinked people).

He walked towards the gate, his face with a huge smile. People had noticed his magic, his successful magic. No more Vallo the Incompetent, Vallo the Foolish, but Vallo the Arch-Mage, weilder of magic.

Darkness.
The sun was blocked out, shade surrounded him. He looked up, then saw it.

"In the name of-" He started, before being crushed to death under the foot of some commoner.

And thus the great saga of Vallo ends.
How the hell does a guy give a standing ovation if he cannot be seen?

Bravo, Ivelliis. Your exit post was very entertaining. I will have to bronze the phrase, "In the name of-".

You are welcome to rejoin at any time with a new PC in either of my two games.

[ 01-24-2006, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 01-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #87
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Just a few questions:

1. Vindson (dplax) and Oley (Morgeruat) have shops in town. My char is at the stage where he wants to buy an item. How is it determined what special items are on the shelf, so to speak? Do i simply choose what i want (say a +1 shortsword, for example) and take it for granted that it's stocked?

If dplax and Morgeruat post a short list of what special and magical items they stock (and prices )it may make it easier.

2. About hand thrown missile weapons: Are these items "one throw, one use"? ie. If i were to fell a creature with a throwing blade, would i be able to retrieve that blade from the corpse? Assuming it was within reach and there was no other immediate danger.

Is it the same for launched missiles? (Arrows, quarrels, bullets etc.) Or is this type of ammo destroyed on impact?

3. Larry hinted to me about silver weapons. Are these the same as +1, +2 etc? Or do they have different properties? Are there other metals/materials that weapons and armour may be made from?

Thanks guys.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #88
dplax
Jack Burton

Vindson would not have magical items in display in his shop, what he has there are all simple metallic objects (doesn't mean that they can't be masterfully made). The few magical items Vindson does have, he stocks in a secret place, and he can only make them with Oley's help. In his smithy though you could find nearly any weapon. Armour would have to be mostly custom-made to fit one's frame (with the possible exception of ring mail, which is somewhat more flexible and can be stocked in let's say small, medium and large sizes), and some exotic weapons might mean that Vindson has none stocked and has to make them.

Also I remember Larry telling me that magical weapons would be pretty rare, and IIRC with silver or well-made weapons he wanted them to be non-magical weapons, which act as if they were +1, but I'm not sure I remember well.

If you want to know whether Vindson stocks a certain item, just PM me, the list would be slightly long and boring, seeing that it would also contain agricultural items and all that.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #89
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
Just a few questions:

1. Vindson (dplax) and Oley (Morgeruat) have shops in town. My char is at the stage where he wants to buy an item. How is it determined what special items are on the shelf, so to speak? Do i simply choose what i want (say a +1 shortsword, for example) and take it for granted that it's stocked?
At least for Oley, outright asking about a specific item is likely to result in failure, asking about a general effect would be more likely to succeed (archmages like to tinker and he doesn't like to mass-produce standard items, a spoon that warms whatever liquid it stirs is possible, a fully functioning demonslayer +7 is not, unless it comes in pinkey-ring form)

Quote:
If dplax and Morgeruat post a short list of what special and magical items they stock (and prices )it may make it easier.
Any items other than common alchemy items will have to be run by Larry and/or Cyril before I can provide an answer and the form is likely to be strange

Quote:
2. About hand thrown missile weapons: Are these items "one throw, one use"? ie. If i were to fell a creature with a throwing blade, would i be able to retrieve that blade from the corpse? Assuming it was within reach and there was no other immediate danger.
It largely depends on the circumstances, if it is possible to retrieve them most likely, however things like throwing a dagger at a rust monster would result in a one throw = lost item situation (most of the time items survive and are retrievable)

Quote:
Is it the same for launched missiles? (Arrows, quarrels, bullets etc.) Or is this type of ammo destroyed on impact?
I tend to use about a 60% retrieval rate, depending on the materials used. A crossbow quarrel with silver jacketting and a silver tip would be much more likely to survive an impact than one without and special reinforcement, also a missed shot out of doors, is likely to make retrieval very difficult. (how many you would get back should likely depend on how long you spend looking)

Quote:
3. Larry hinted to me about silver weapons. Are these the same as +1, +2 etc? Or do they have different properties? Are there other metals/materials that weapons and armour may be made from?

Thanks guys.
Weapons of exceedingly high quality (essentially critting a skill roll) can have a non-magical +1 to hit OR damage, not both.

Some common alternate materials for weapons are:

Cold-wrought iron (used to ward off the fey and the real reason a horseshoe is a lucky charm, the iron keeps the fey (good and bad) at bay )(it can also be used effectively against some demons, wolfweres, and other creatures normally only hit by magic. (it is more brittle than steel and loses its edge more quickly as well)

Silver is of course useful, but care should be used as it is softer than steel and more prone to breaking or wearing out (a silver sword should be kept in reserve as a tool against lycanthropes and other vulnerable creatures, not as the weapon of choice for everyday use)

Gold Weapons are useful against loup-garou (mountain werewolves, also seen IIRC on werewolf island in BG1 TotSC) and while weapons and armor made of gold are heavier, and more prone to damage than even silver (gold is a very soft metal), not to mention much more expensive, however if looking to decorate armor or weaponry gold is a good way to go.

Some creatures have other weaknesses, such as certain lycanthropse being affected by poppyseed (kills werebadgers), Obsidian, Wood, Bronze, etc but these are rare, and less likely to be encountered.

[ 01-26-2006, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 01-27-2006, 02:49 AM   #90
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks again guys. That gives me enough for my next few posts.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Closed Thread