Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
bah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why is Malchor Harpell following me?(spoiler?)

When I whooped on Bodhi and then exited her dungeon Malchor Harpell warped in. He hasn’t said a word to me and he won’t say a word to me when I try to talk to him. Everywhere I go, whenever I move to a new area, he warps in but never says or does anything. I’m now in Suldancsslar and he is still tagging along.

What gives?

I did NOT kill Drizzt either. In fact he helped me with Bodhi and he made it out alive.
bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:30 AM   #2
bah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I’m beginning to think this is a bug. I just tried to kill Harpell and I couldn’t. I mean I unleashed my boys on him (force attacked)and they went off on him for about 5 minutes dealing out big time damage. Harpell never died. In fact he never left dialogue mode( he didn’t turn red, he stayed with a blue cirlce around him).

I’m also having trouble resting and saving inside Suldanesslar. It keeps telling me I cannot rest at this time. Is this normal?

Oh man! Don’t tell me I’m going to have to reload back to a previous chapter.

[ 04-29-2002, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: bah ]
Old 04-29-2002, 12:41 AM   #3
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Maybe he loves you

But otherwise Im guessing bug as well... unless you Clua or SK'd in some of any of his or his pals stuff... thats the only toehr reason... but he SHOULD finally say something in Suldanessellar... thats when he FINALLY said something my first time round evilly [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:24 AM   #4
bah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think you nailed it. Ummmmmmm, I might have clau’d in a scimitar +3 ( Frostbrand), just for evaluation purposes of course.

But the game is still acting awfully squirrelly. My party needs to rest but I have to leave the city to do it. Whenever one of my guys is in dialogue mode he doesn’t leave it. What I mean is some kid in the city said something like "more monsters" and the dialogue box went away before I had time to read it and Keldorn keeps the little talk symbol in his portrait. Like he's talking to someone but he is not. It’s almost like a key is stuck on my keyboard. But it’s not. Then when I try to save it either it says "not at this time" or "can’t save during dialogue mode"

Again thanks for your help

Harpell! What an old stick in the mud. He’s causing me all of this grief isn’t he?
Old 04-29-2002, 01:35 AM   #5
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by bah:
I think you nailed it. Ummmmmmm, I might have clau’d in a scimitar +3 ( Frostbrand), just for evaluation purposes of course.

But the game is still acting awfully squirrelly. My party needs to rest but I have to leave the city to do it. Whenever one of my guys is in dialogue mode he doesn’t leave it. What I mean is some kid in the city said something like "more monsters" and the dialogue box went away before I had time to read it and Keldorn keeps the little talk symbol in his portrait. Like he's talking to someone but he is not. It’s almost like a key is stuck on my keyboard. But it’s not. Then when I try to save it either it says "not at this time" or "can’t save during dialogue mode"

Again thanks for your help

Harpell! What an old stick in the mud. He’s causing me all of this grief isn’t he?
Yeh well ditch the Scimitar and all should be fine [img]smile.gif[/img] try the baldurdash bug fix pack to get it better [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:37 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Other things to try:

Ctrl-Y to see if that kills him (It probably won't)

Ctrl-Q to add him to your party. Then boot him, and he might just walk off and never be seen again.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:01 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

As discussed in previous topics Malchor Harpell can't be killed as he is wearing Imoen's belt, which prevents him from losing his very last hitpoint. Only thing possible is to use the Nishruu bug in earlier versions, which lets the Nishruu eat up even permanent magical items to remove the belt and kill him then.
The being stuck in a dialogue can also be a result of Harpell's appearing but no talking. It occured to me, that when I was neutralizing him (protecting myself against imprisonement - he does no further attacks and only follows me without attack) I couldn't decide for dialogue options anymore. Instead the dialogue would instantly finish with a rather random choice. This could also happen if you Ctrl+Q him to his leave. Best thing is not to mess around with the Drow Rangers stuff, it's not that good anyway.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:23 AM   #8
cyber7
The Magister

Quote:
can't be killed as he is wearing Imoen's belt
But Imoen dies sometimes
Old 04-30-2002, 07:38 AM   #9
Daniel_M
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by cyber7:
But Imoen dies sometimes
She does yes, but only when you rescue her during spellhold, she dosent have the belt then if you check.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:54 AM   #10
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

its kinda funny if you think about it. Imoen has this great belt on that keeps her from dying, making her invincible, then she gets taken away, and the belt that cannot be removed physically or magically is mysteriously gone when you rescue her. You would think that if Jonny had removed it, he would have at least put it on himself until he became the big baddie nasty man that he was going to be. Obviously, he didn't, because he isn't invincible, so what happened to the belt?

i think some halfling thief somewhere is making tons of money pickpocketing people, then betting on the fights he gets into because of it.