Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2001, 03:53 PM   #1
Vanyel
Dungeon Master

Ok. So now I HAVE to restart the whole game over. I messed up the Actors quest and so I'm starting over. Clean Slate. I just don't know what to be? I've always wondered a few things:

1. Is the Wizard ( the one who doesn't learn from scrolls ) even really all the good?
2. Monks. I just cam't get over that they can't wear any armor. NONE. So are they worth it in the upper levels?
3. What is the best type of mage to be?
4. Multi-classes. Which are the best combo for an Elf. (I'm used to the "front line" fighting)
5. And the Ever lasting question: Good or Evil. I admit that over all it is my choice, but I've never been happy with what I choose.

Oh and one more thing: SPOILERS
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Is it really worth it (in exp and eq) to off drizzt and company?

------------------
Hey Big Bird!!
It's time for the counter game!!

Count The Shells,
Suck-A-Duck!

~General of the Dark Overlord's Army of Darkness~
Old 08-16-2001, 04:44 PM   #2
Vanyel
Dungeon Master

Also, I there any other class that can get 3-5 slots in their proficences? I want to use a thief(cuz then my party has more room for mage) but they can only put one into each of their weapon. So only Fighters and Paladins can become "masters" or even "grand masters"?

------------------
Hey Big Bird!!
It's time for the counter game!!

Count The Shells,
Suck-A-Duck!

~General of the Dark Overlord's Army of Darkness~
Old 08-16-2001, 04:50 PM   #3
Lioness
Jack Burton

That is correct I think, maybe Rangers too, and the kits can, i think.

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe, "The best food this side of Kormyr."
Little Angel of Ironworks
Old 08-16-2001, 04:56 PM   #4
trux

ok here goes...

1. you mean a sorcerer, and yes they're good (dependant on your playing style.)

2. Sure monks can't wear armor, but their armor class naturally increases as they gain levels (to a point that no armor in the game will get you.) And are they worth it? Monks become VERY powerful at high levels - a real power-gamers choice.

3. Depends on your playing style, alignment and what you like.

4. In terms of roleplaying, it would be fair to say that more often then not a multiclass elf will be a fighter/mage. Elves can be good fighters (particularly effective with bows generally) and are naturally skilled in magic.

5. again, depends on what you like. play it once through as a good aligned character, then again as an evil and see what you like most.

The Drizzt question: you won't be able to keep his equipment, and your character has to make a decision based on his alignment (a good character would NEVER kill Drizzt, but an evil character would quite possibly jump at the chance.)

And finally, yes only fighters can attain complete mastery of a weapon.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-16-2001, 06:48 PM   #5
Rikard

hm second opinion ()

1 Yes The Sorcerer kicks ass as long as you have good knowledge of all spells

2 He is good really good the question is do you like to play with him

3 Sorcerer Necromancer or Conjurer becoz illution and divination are the weakest schools of magic

4 Fighter/Mage and call the class a Bladesinger... (see above for more info)

5 Good as Evil is just plain bad

6 you don;t get to keep you equipment

7 Nope only fighters and fighter kits (rangers and swashbucklers get 3 stars in 2 weapons, Archers can get 5 in Bows)

------------------

Old 08-16-2001, 07:00 PM   #6
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanyel:
1. Is the Wizard ( the one who doesn't learn from scrolls ) even really all the good?
2. Monks. I just cam't get over that they can't wear any armor. NONE. So are they worth it in the upper levels?
3. What is the best type of mage to be?
4. Multi-classes. Which are the best combo for an Elf. (I'm used to the "front line" fighting)
5. And the Ever lasting question: Good or Evil. I admit that over all it is my choice, but I've never been happy with what I choose.

1) No, regular mage is better!
2) YES, they are also powerfull! Since their armourclass gets better the higher level they are, you only have to be carefull in the begining!
3) I prefer to not speciallize. There are usefull spells from all schools. One spell-slot more or less doesn't matter with Ring of Wizardy.
4) No comment, doesn't like multi
5) Well, then you may try neutral Choose the aligment wich gives you the coolest familiar if you choose mage.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen

[This message has been edited by Istaron (edited 08-16-2001).]
Old 08-16-2001, 07:27 PM   #7
oldbittercraig
Elminster

Paladins can only get 2 stars in any weapon
Old 08-16-2001, 09:20 PM   #8
cHiCkEn_HeD
Dungeon Master

my personal favorite is the monk. but it all depends on your style. I'm not really a fan of multi-classing. you just cant level-up fast enough. I've never played a sorcerer, i know what they're abilities are, but ive never played one. I'd stick with a straight mage though. they can memorize anything, and they are not as limited as a sorcerer. Baldur's Gate 2 is more geared towards good-aligned parties. if you are good, the game generally flows better. BUT, being evil is a blast. It's just that the game is more focused on good. which is unfortuneate for evil parties out there. So, I would play a monk. But my opinion really doesn't mean a whole lot, play whomever you feel like you would have the most fun playing, depending on your playing style. have fun!
Old 08-17-2001, 05:46 AM   #9
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

My 2p

Monks the pluses,

1 faster than a monkey on e,

2 tougher than tieing you laces with only one hand,

3 magic, hah, I laugh in the face of magic, I wave my genitals in its general direction,

downers,

their really dull, after a while you just run around stomping everything. If your a powergamer you'll love 'em, adventuring roleplayers will be bored to tears...

being evil is funny until you come face to face with a situation where being evil is slimey and unenjoyable (for me it was a quest about a chicken, wierd I know), however its a worthwhile experience.

As to Drizzt, get him to help you, get him killed, steal his weaponry, tadaa...
Old 08-23-2001, 02:31 PM   #10
DEADMAN
Manshoon

This is pretty much well covered but:

1.) Sorcerers have flexiability while mages have depth. It's nice to be able to choose what you want to cast for a situation, especialy with the fact you get to cast more spells per level. But a mage gets a wider variety of spells, and a well prepared mage is dangerous.

2.)Monks get real good, everything I've seen on the forum suggets this, they have incredible attacks, great speed . Plus even though they cant wear armor, they should be able to use Bracers of defense and items of protection .

3.) For mages dont specialize, that extra cast abiltiy at the beginning is nice but I find it better being able to cast everything, you never know what you need or like.

4.)multi classing is kind of a personal choice, some I think are a waste, for example fighter/druid, personaly I like fighter/ magic-user/thief. At the moment my character is one of the best fighters and the best thief i ran into. And if you wear bracers you can use all your abilities .Just remeber that a multi classed fighter can only have 2 slots in a proficency .

5.) good or evil always a perssonal choice, though I do like playing the hero even as the child of a god of murder.