Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-13-2001, 10:56 PM   #41
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
If you met with the devil and you had to sell your soul for one wish, would you do it and if yes, what would it be?

I'd ask for eternal life, just to see if the sucker would fall for it.

Hmm I ask for Godhood!

------------------
Opinions are not clubs don't beat others with yours.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:57 PM   #42
H. Sedai

The idea of treating the prince of darkness as if he were a genie is somewhat new to me. The proverbial genie has to give you your wish whereas the devil does not. Your mortal mind cannot comprehend what otherworldy abilities the evil one has.

So, to play along...if I had one wish that I absolutely knew he would grant without fear of repercussions then I would selfishly wish for the cancer in my little sister's head to disapear.

Also, if I were much better looking, had more money, drove a nicer car and had a fridge just for cheetos, I'd be happier. hehe

If frogs had uzis, snakes wouldn't mess with them so much.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage[/list]
    [This message has been edited by H. Sedai (edited 10-13-2001).]

Old 10-14-2001, 05:18 AM   #43
Legolas the Elven Archer

The discussion over wether or not the devil can speak English (and about the gender) seem a bit redundant. Even though God shaped people, people now shape God, the devil and the entire afterlife.
If people believe there is a devil, then there is one.
If people believe the devil is a she, then she is.
If people believe the devil can speak Friesian, then she can.
And so on.
You form your own personal hell or heaven where you'll end up (or not)

As for wishes (not including the global ones), immortality is not that nice, as you'll be stuck on earth for all eternity (and in some cases, I doubt it beats hell). The ability to end your immortality is also useless, as you exchange earth for hell (and in some cases, I doubt it beats earth).
Invulnerability seems like a nice wish (march straight into Afghanistan and drag bin Laden out by his ear for one thing) but probably has some major disadvantages as well. In any case, it's not worth going to hell for.
And that is how I think about practically any wish. So selling your soul isn't worth it, unless you were already going to hell. But then, the devil wouldn't try to strike a deal now would she?

BTW, selling your soul to get your soul back or for not going to hell? ehrrr...

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-14-2001, 05:39 AM   #44
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
The discussion over wether or not the devil can speak English (and about the gender) seem a bit redundant.

Er... I think it was supposed to be humourous Legolas... - don't take it so seriously!!!

Satan is the invention of Judaeo-Christian belief, and since I do not believe in god, there can be no satan either.
I don't have a soul for that matter.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-14-2001, 05:50 AM   #45
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Er... I think it was supposed to be humourous Legolas... - don't take it so seriously!!!
Sorry about that, I think the choice of words wasn't exactly right here.
I know that this isn't serious, but english is my second language so every once in a while I have a bit of trouble expressing myself.

------------------

Old 10-14-2001, 05:56 AM   #46
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
I know that this isn't serious, but english is my second language so every once in a while I have a bit of trouble expressing myself.

I am always amazed at the linguistic abilities that people of this board possess.
Your English is so good that it did not even occur to me - my apologies.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-14-2001, 07:35 AM   #47
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

Yes, definitely meant to be humourous, Legolas TEA!! I don't believe in the devil at all, or hell, for that matter. I believe we create heaven or hell for ourselves, right here, right now...... I have never believed in a separate, extenal 'source of evil'. (More an excuse than a reason..... and a lame one at that. IMHO, of course. )

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-14-2001, 09:30 AM   #48
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
No problemo Fljotsdale. I'm just leaving the thread cause I'd rather converse with you on a general human level, as we of course have different religious, or non-religious, beliefs. I have no problem with that when talking to you, just want to avoid topics that kinda belittle my beliefs. But I still want to continue to post with you on other threads, again, on a neutral level, as just two "people living on this earth" type deal, as it seems that then, we seem to see things on the same level, and share the same wavelength surprisingly, we are both on the same page so to speak. So please don't think I'm pissed or anything cause of this thread, I'm just ducking out cause it isn't "compatibo" with me is all. See you on the flip side!

I'm sorry if I offenended anyone with this thread, I didn't mean to. It is kind of a "would you join the forces of evil to make your dreams come true - Type of question. If anyone took it any other way and got offended I sincerely apologies.

Oh, and on the gender issue, it's completly impossible that God if it exsist, could be female... Because no woman would or could screw something she creates up like that.

------------------
"When two or more people agree on an issue, I form on the other side."
- Bill Hicks

[This message has been edited by Jorath Calar (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old 10-14-2001, 12:27 PM   #49
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:

I'm sorry if I offenended anyone with this thread, I didn't mean to. It is kind of a "would you join the forces of evil to make your dreams come true - Type of question. If anyone took it any other way and got offended I sincerely apologies.

Oh, and on the gender issue, it's completly impossible that God if it exsist, could be female... Because no woman would or could screw something she creates up like that.

If from that we can draw the conclusion that men DO screw up, you may just upset some more people
But, being the man that I am, I argee with you.
*cue discussion about feminism*

------------------

Old 10-14-2001, 12:29 PM   #50
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Don't worry about it, hon. I think people are still edgy after the last few weeks. I do understand what LadyZ is saying though. Sometimes I feel like not expressing my beliefs because it seems to be open season on religion. That effect has built up a bit this last month with the large number of posts and serious discussions being made, and some of us may really be more sensitive than we usually are. I think it will pass! The members of IW are almost always thoughtful and caring, no matter what their religious/philisophical beliefs so I doubt anything bad was intended.

I can see where it was a serious good vs. evil post and maybe some folks who don't believe in the premise just find it easier to joke! At any rate, don't worry, I think people are either answering you in the tone you asked the question or just joshing around because the topic doesn't really effect them due to their belief systems. I don't think anyone meant to offend anyone else, least of all you!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."