Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Eye of the Beholder Trilogy free on GOG.com for the next 31 hrs

You can get the classic Eye of the Beholder trilogy for free on GOG.com for the next 31 or so hours. Hurry up.

https://www.gog.com/
Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Eye of the Beholder Trilogy free on GOG.com for the next 31 hrs

Nice!! I own all three (in boxes) but on floppy disks I bought 1 and 2, I'll go grab EOB 3 -- its not my fave, as Westwood didn't make it, but still wanna replay it.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:12 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
Nice!! I own all three (in boxes) but on floppy disks I bought 1 and 2, I'll go grab EOB 3 -- its not my fave, as Westwood didn't make it, but still wanna replay it.

Thanks for the heads up!!!
How are these games? I missed on all those classics back when they came out (didn't speak English, so I wasn't really into RPGs), but would love to give them a try now.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum Re: Eye of the Beholder Trilogy free on GOG.com for the next 31 hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFR View Post
How are these games? I missed on all those classics back when they came out (didn't speak English, so I wasn't really into RPGs), but would love to give them a try now.

The 1st Eye of the Beholder was my first ever VGA IBM game, and one of my faves of all time (probably because it was the first game I got for IBM PC) , But its STILL awesome, and I still play it every few Months.
The second one adds a better ending and tons new features-- and a good story! Another great game.

The 3rd one isn't as good as the first 2... as I said, SSI decided to make it and not Westwood.. you can tell.. the game engine itself needed emm386 and wouldn't play for many... during DOS era.. and didn't play well on 95, XP but with DOS-BOX I'm sure it plays well-finally! I probably haven't played it since I had DOS installed.. ... wow...

So it'll be like a new game kinda..

Play them in order... If you don't like the 3rd one, skip it and go directly to Lands of Lore 1. (Thats what Westwood did next) Patrick Stewart as the voice of of the king and the view is like EOB--but with a compass, a map and lots more cool features!
And the NEWEST type of EOB style game--they actually said these are a homage to the EOB games They are called: "Legend of Grimrock" they made 2 of them, and both are awesome! the second one, as usual irons out and streamlines some things which is good!
And if you like Legend of Grimrock, and want a Grimrock meets System Shock, grab Vaporum!! Thats a cool sci-fi/fantasy game based on the EOB grid system.

Hope that helps!! Lands of Lore 1 is so cool... but the rest of the lands of lore games...eh... I moved of to Kyrandia (Westwoods Monkey Island) Kyrandia 1 and 2 are the best (again)..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Thanks for the reply, Ziroc. I got both Legends of Grimrock already some time ago when they were on sale, but never got around to playing them. Hope to play Eye of the Beholder some time in the future now that I have them, after which I'll play Legends of Grimrock.

I'm playing some classics that I never had the time to play back when they came out. Finished System Shock 2 today (I finished SS1 couple of years ago). Hoping to follow it up with Deus Ex. Also finished Diablo + Hellfire in May, and there is still Diablo 2 waiting for me.

And I just started Pillars of Eternity. Did you play that? It's supposed to be a tribute to the Infinity Engine games and so far (I barely started) it looks great.

So many games... so little time.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:48 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

By the way, if anyone missed this and still wants the games, there will be plenty of keys floating around from people who already had this game (in such cases they get a spare key instead). Those expire in a month (mid Jul). If you'd like the game, let me know and I'll get you one.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Shadow Stranger

If you missed the free offer and the keys, the entire trilogy is going for $9.99 on Gog. It is called "Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection One".
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote