Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-15-2004, 07:29 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Not really Sir Goulum. Our time changed over recently and it gets dark now at 5:00pm. I'm used to that for winter, but I don't particularly like it. I like when it is summer and it stays light until around 9:00pm, darkness to me is for sleeping!

Jorath, I can imagine how depressing it would be with no sunlight, just darkness, no matter if it was just for a few days, or a few weeks. What is the longest time it continually has stayed dark there?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #12
Donut
Jack Burton

Jorath - it must be tough being a Policeman in Iceland!

Okay Mr Calar - where were you on the night of October 24th to February 19th?

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-15-2004, 08:44 PM   #13
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Awesome picture, Jorath! I have to say, though, darkness never really did bother me too terribly much...in cases of extreme darkness, I just finally get to go stargazing, which is nice...

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 PM   #14
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Not really Sir Goulum. Our time changed over recently and it gets dark now at 5:00pm. I'm used to that for winter, but I don't particularly like it. I like when it is summer and it stays light until around 9:00pm, darkness to me is for sleeping!

Jorath, I can imagine how depressing it would be with no sunlight, just darkness, no matter if it was just for a few days, or a few weeks. What is the longest time it continually has stayed dark there?
Well, usually by the winter solstice(the day with least amount of sunlight), it's dark by 4:30 at the latest. *sigh* I wanna move to the equator. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 01:48 AM   #15
Jorath Calar
Harper

Solstice (22nd dec) has sunlight from 11am to 3pm. so it's pretty much dark for 20 hours.

And Donut that was hilarious.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 04:47 AM   #16
spydar

That's like where I grew up in northern Alberta, and it's similar down here in C-Town too. At the summer solstice there's always a big festival at the lake near my home town (can anyone say 4 day lake side camp out party?) and we get maybe 2 hours of kinda dark. but I'm fully used to the whole waking up in the dark, coming home in the dark bit of winter. now if the winter gods could only manage to give me 4 feet of snow and at least -20 celcius I'd be happy. but that's what I get for living in Calgary, chinook central.

how much darkness do you get during the summer solstice up in Iceland Jorath?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 AM   #17
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

I was an Alaskan for all of 20+ years, and I loved the long days in summer, and the long nights in winter. But then, a lot of people can't cope with it and become manic depressive. So the mental health industry gets lots of business in the summer and winter (worked in mental health so I know.)
Old 11-16-2004, 06:51 AM   #18
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Welcome to the boards, Winter Wolf!

There's always someone ready to take advantage of any opportunity: mental health in Alaska; personal air filters in NYC / LA; mail order brides in North Dakota; &tc.

Good on you for opportunism!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmmm I like sunshine, obviously, but I also love the dark - my eyes are pretty sensitive to light, so it's generally the only time my eyes get to fully relax (other than when I'm asleep of course). I'm always out when it's dark, I wouldn't mind the long nights, it'd be pretty cool
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #20
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Nice pic Jorath, gets dark about 4.30ish here at the moment.

Timber, in the heart of summer the sun will rise at 4ish and set at 11-11.30 on a good night here in Britain.