Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Well the time has come to set the spousal units PC up for legal trade on the music pay per song internet.

She runs that windoze OS on a store bought Dell, has adequate HDD space, not an AMD processor, and DSL. Has no clue as to what she wants, except to be able to create her own custom play lists and or albums. All of the CD palyers that she will encounter are MP3 capable.

My first thought is iTunes, it was hot back in the day, but there are currently no Linux ports, so my experience is dated.

So please, feel free to recommend your choice, and please add pro's and con's to it.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Zebodog

I think the lack of AMD is going to prove a problem. You need to get rid of that non-AMD part, immediately.

I can only recommend Canadian sites, but Puretracks has been good for me. I haven't tried iTunes, because I don't care for the interface, but others may disagree.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yep, I would say iTunes is the way to go.

Unfortunantly there is not much competition when it comes to this sort of thing.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Since she's on a Windows system, the Media player will take her to MSN Music, and I've not had any problems with the tracks I've downloaded, and the Media Player will allow her to easily create playlists of the music she downloads, and will also burn them to cd. All in all, it's a win/win. ..er, that's kinda punny.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I use http://www.allofmp3.com largely because it's the only one that offers DRM free music in the quality/format of your choice - it's the second most popular in the UK for that reason.

It's technically legal, but definitely not operating in the spirit of the law I think due to its very cheap prices.

The sad thing is, I'd happily pay nearly shop prices for DRM free downloadable music - but can I find it anywhere else? No! It also has a larger selection than iTunes.

I'd even use iTunes if &*%$ Apple gave us a Linux port...grrrr! It should be trivial to do as they both have a Unix backend!
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Melchior
Manshoon

Itunes is #1.
Have a look at Rhapsody as well.