Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2001, 07:48 PM   #1
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I think it's fairly clear that some of the features/hacks that add functionality to the upgrade have a negative effect on the overall speed and efficiency of the board.

However, can I put a vote down for the return of a simple "who's online" option. If junking the "today's active topics" would balance it out, it's a price worth paying IMHO

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 11-09-2001, 08:24 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I second that, I like the "Whos online" function also
Old 11-09-2001, 08:43 PM   #3
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I have to agree there. Even if I can't see where they are or what who's posting to, etc. I'd like to at least know who's around. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:46 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yes, I feel so isolated and alone when I don't know who else is on
I do appreciate the widening of the reply box though [img]smile.gif[/img] Plus I think that by the time the rank avatars come back, I'll have skipped through Drizzt entirely
Old 11-09-2001, 09:16 PM   #5
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I respectfully disagree with those who have already posted. I don't miss the "Who's online" functionality. It was because of that fuction that I was considered to be stalking a friend. I don't miss it at all. I like being able to post quickly.

I will contine the self flaggelation for disagreeing with Dragonmage once again.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:20 PM   #6
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
I respectfully disagree with those who have already posted. I don't miss the "Who's online" functionality. It was because of that fuction that I was considered to be stalking a friend. I don't miss it at all. I like being able to post quickly.

I will contine the self flaggelation for disagreeing with Dragonmage once again.

[img]tongue.gif[/img] You ninny! You weren't 'accused', I merely asked if you were. And I found it very amusing, too. Every time I posted, there'd you'd be - just ahead of me! It was entirely too cool!
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:26 PM   #7
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:

[img]tongue.gif[/img] You ninny! You weren't 'accused', I merely asked if you were. And I found it very amusing, too. Every time I posted, there'd you'd be - just ahead of me! It was entirely too cool!

I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you were amused. We both know that I am merely a granule of offal on the driveway of this existence while you are the Saturn of all that is good in this cold cruel world of ours.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:29 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I kinda feel the same way. I liked the Who's Online feature, but I must say the newer version was a bit much. Very intrusive and probably was slowing the board down as well. I can imagine how much work it had to take for a server to keep track of all of our whereabouts during one given time, heck, I'm in and out of threads like lightning here all the time, a lot for a server to keep up with my actions, and thats just me, one person amongst hundreds+ posting here. I agree with Mouse, I think it would be good if there was a Who's Online feature, but a small one, with not so much detail. That way we'd know who was on, we don't really need to know what threads they are posting to, if we want to know, all we have to do is look on different theads and find out! Not a big deal eh? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Either way, I'm in no hurry, let's let Ziroc "make it so" on his own time, until then, hey, I'm good [img]smile.gif[/img] :cool:

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-09-2001, 09:42 PM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Oh, I most definitely agree with you there, LadyZekke.

No pressures and no complaints. Just putting in our 2c's here. If you don't ask, you don't get, right? [img]smile.gif[/img] So this is just to let him know our preferences. If he can accommodate them, great. If not, it won't stop me from loving this place!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:07 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The Who's Online isn't such a big deal for me. For me, knowing the last person who posted on a thread (like you do on the main page of this forum) is a big help. But I think that was also slowing down the board in a major way. Speed is the most important thing to me, I didn't get an ADSL modem for nothing.