Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-23-2001, 02:41 PM   #1
Lava1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A couple of questions:

1. Is a fighter/mage/cleric a good idea? I was thinking of keeping my party very small so I can leach off as many xp points as possible. My idea is that this character would be a self sufficient loner. Will I miss out on higher level benefits? Is a pure mage a better choice? I guess what I'm asking is what is the most fun to play? I don't know if I fully understand the disadvantages of multi-class characters.

2. I would like to be able to easily put on armor and off so I can cast spells and continue without going to the inventory screen. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

for great fan fiction I suggest: http://www.fanStory.com
Old 07-23-2001, 02:45 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Welcome to the Forums!

1. I don't think that is possible.. Of course, I've never Dualed or Multied before, so if so, I would say yes! A pure mage is very weak in the beginning, and is dependant upon others for help and back-up. Most fun.. Try a Bard Kit, or Ranger kit. They are quite fun. A Kensai is supposed to be a very fun kit to play, so why not try it?

2. No, if you have armor on when your in battle, it cannot be removed. They did not follow the 3rd ed. rules for donning armor.
Old 07-23-2001, 03:08 PM   #3
Marcus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You also need to remember that if you are using triple class characters, all the experience you gain will be divided 3 ways. So if you have a fighter/mage/thief and a fighter/mage/cleric, those two people will advance as slowly as a party of 6 single classed characters. In addition, their experience cap will be effectively one-third of what it should be (it would about 960,000 rather than 2.95 million). Plus you will suffer an overall shortage of men on the field. Even though those two characters could do everything, they can only do one thing at a time...
As for your second question, once you get into battle, your armor is either stuck on you, or stuck in your pack. You can't change it again until after the battle ends (as far as I know)...
Old 07-23-2001, 03:35 PM   #4
Lava1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Great feedback. Thanks.

Couple of followups:

1. Do players leave you? If I have a mage in my party and give him/her all the spells will he at some point leave me? Or do they only leave if they die or you kick them out?

2. With the experience cap (with the three classes) will I still be able to be a high level mage based on the restrictions. I think (if I remember the rulebook) level 9 is the highest. What is the highest I can go? If I can't make it to the level 9 spells with the three classes if I drop mage class can I then?

3. As for switching armor... I was talking about when not in combat. I find it annoying to go to the inventory screen. Remove armor. Buff. Then go back and put it on again.

Thanks in advance again!
Old 07-23-2001, 03:52 PM   #5
Lava1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

One more question.

Is sleeping a bad thing? I'm constantly putting my characters to sleep (I'm still in the prison) before moving on so I'll have all my best spells available. Is that a bad thing? If this game takes 200 years (game time) is that a bad thing? And yes one of my characters is an elf.

I think I'm done with silly newbie questions.

Old 07-23-2001, 04:03 PM   #6
Tuor
Elminster

In no particular order.

You can't cast ninth level spells in BG2 unless you remove the xp cap period unless you use scrolls to do it.

you can only get to level 17 mage-8th level spell caster by the end of the game..

If you multi class fighter/cleric/mage you will find it extraordinarily hard to complete the game because even if you max your levels you'll still be too low a level in each to compete with higher level monsters and characters although you'll be very tough towards the end of throne of bhaal if you do that too.

You'd probably be better off with a fighter/cleric and a fighter/mage or a cleric/mage because you'll advance levels a bit quicker.

No character can do everything so don't feel bad about packing your party with loads of different classes you'll probably need a bit of experience before you can complete the game with one or two characters any way.

There's nothing wrong with sleeping lots it saves your healing spells and potions you might attacked while you nap though.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:38 PM   #7
trux

1. Which players are you talking about? If you're playing single player and you pick up NPC's, there's a possiblity they will leave you based on a number of factors:

- party reputation - a good-aligned character will leave if your party is an evil, despised party, and the same goes for an evil NPC when your party has a reputation over 18.

- Decision making - an NPC will leave your party if you make a decision they are COMPLETELY opposed to. This is not a normal occurance, though. 99% of the game you can make any decision you want and your NPCs will follow your choices, but a few NPCs have certain negative or positive reactions based on small parts of the game.

- Party formation - some NPCs don't get along with others, and there are a few extreme cases where two NPCs just can't be around each other. One may leave your party, or both may leave and fight to the death.

- Quests - some NPCs will leave because it has to do with a quest you need to take care of.

If you're playing multiplayer and you made your own characters none of them can ever leave - they don't (strictly speaking) have their own scripted personalities.

2. You won't make it to be a very high level mage if you triple class a character.

3. You find switching armor annoying because it's supposed to be annoying. A fighter/mage is powerful enough without having armor restrictions as well. Something you can look into as you progress further in the game is getting armor that does not hinder spellcasting (there are a few options - all elven made armor.)

4. Resting is never a bad thing. I try to be realistic in how often I rest, but I won't hesitate to re-rest if I've recently rested but just completed a major battle.

The time clock on the game (247 days, 10 hours <-- that thing) does not matter - it can take you ten days or 10 thousand days. The only thing you should be weary of when resting too much is if you're caught up in a quest that has a time-limit (this is only in one particular part of the game, though.)

Welcome to the Forum.

------------------
trux