Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Can a level 69 survive in 61-70 AV?

I want to know how a level 69 (rogue, presumably, me) will cope in 61-70AV given that there will be 70s in there will heaps of resilience which I will not have.

I have a mere 2000xp to go before I ding 61 (noooooooooo!!!) which sucks as I've been really enjoying AV in the 51-60 bracket where I am currently at the top of the evolutionary tree:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sen'jin&n=Scabandari

I'm loving AV so much at the moment. I've taken on a leadership role with my teams over the past 4-6 weeks to the point where I think I've effected genuine changes in behaviour with people - when I started playing we used to win about 30% but now we win about 70% of the time approx. even after the 2.3 changes. More importantly, I've managed to get people (particularly the other vocal people who I see around regularly) to communicate more and adhere to a simple plan on both O (SFGY, IBGY, towers, Galv then camp them at FW while stealthers cap RH and towers) and D (slow them down at SHGY so we protect Bal and then when they cap SHGY fall back to the DB bridge and farm them there where our archers help us).

There's a core group of about 10-15 players who are always on in my timezone and battlegroup and in the past few weeks I've been pleased to see them starting to talk (particularly the ones who haven't talked much previously) because they now have the confidence to express their opinions and put faith in a plan. Sure, there may be better plans out there, but our plan is simple and easy to follow, and as long as people follow it we usually win because of coordination and mass application of force to strategic points. We still lose the odd games because of knobheads that don't listen but for the most part we've been reasonably coordinated which is amazing since we're all pugs and we don't have vent.

And it doesn't hurt that from a personal point of view I've been doing well - tagging towers/GYs and coordinating who's going to tank galv/drek etc as well as contributing significantly from a numeric perspective. This has added to my credibility when I tell people what to do (along with the fact that when people have stuck to the strategy we've generally won). Plus I pretty much win any 1-on-1 fight with any other class that I go toe-to-toe with, with the exceptions of hunters (which kite me to death while their pet detects my stealth) or other rogues (when they get the jump on me and get the stunlock in first).

Anyway, what's the point of all this? The point is I'm about to ding and leave all the cool people I've been playing (and winning) with. I told some of the groups last night that this week will probably be my last in AV 51-60 and I got heaps of tells begging me not to ding. Nice to be loved lol.

I'm not planning to get back into AV till I'm about 66 (when I get Cloak of NoSkill). Obviously talking/suggesting/taking leadership etc is not dependent on level to an extent, but I will be holding off dinging 70 because I want to farm enough honor to be appropriately geared when I do hit 70 so I can be competitive at least when I get into arenas. I know you get better arena gear than BG gear, but I want to be prepared with the honor points and EOS marks to get the welfare epics when I hit 70. Also I want to enjoy playing in AB (which I really like) and WSG (which I sort of like). I missed playing in AB when I dinged 60, though at least I was able to play it with my UD rogue in the 29 bracket.

So my question (in a long winded way) is this. Can I survive in 61-70AV as a 68-69 given that there will be 70s in there with heaps of resilience which I will not have? I got the sense that the gap between 69-70 is greater than the gap between 59-60.

Comments?

Last edited by Memnoch; 02-05-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Can a level 69 survive in 61-70 AV?

You can survive but more so if you pick your fights well. A 69 or relatively new 70 in av will come up against full arena set 70's alot of the time also. Or you may come across a lonely lvl 61 *shrug*. It's AV, a mishmash of zerging and dying. I wouldn't recommend sitting at 69 and doing a ton of AV unless you like being 2 shotted by the arena goers or BT farmers.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I dinged 61.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Becareful of AV, you might get an accidental level up.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Becareful of AV, you might get an accidental level up.
That just happened, unfortunately.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I answered my own question - a 69 can def survive in AV.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

I wanna see your skillz dude. Make a pvp movie and link on IWF!

I'm err... still deciding which character i should play full time >< nearly 5 70s later and im not bored of WoW.

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I've got my rogue to (nearly) 63, and although he's fun to play, I want to be a warrior again Unfortunately he's a dwarf, so have to level an orc warrior up to stay on Horde side. Level 12 so far *sighs and hates levelling*
Old 03-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Aye, the grind is a tired old thing now. What's wrong with Orcies though? +Res to stun and +ap racial can't go wrong as a war. Tauren with the +hp although a bit too big for my liking. Undead isn't a bad choice either for warrior (my war is one) since cannibalize saves you food/bandages for the grind up and wotf for pvp and pve.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the orc, I just hate levelling. I wish I could transform my dwarf into an orc. Tauren would make sensible choice (as he's going to be a tank) but I don't like the look of them, already have a undead rogue and troll priest (although level 7 )