Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2001, 04:54 PM   #41
Sir_Tainly

Cheers Vaskez,

I always learn new words in foreign languages on these threads, I love them. I used to be able to count to 20 in Japanese, but I can only rmemember as far as 5 now, my attempts at transliterations for 1 - 5 is as follows

1 itch
2 nee
3 san
4 chee
5 gor

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 05-10-2001, 04:59 PM   #42
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Wow, great topic this has turned out to be!
Wolfie, I'm terribly impressed that you read the Seafarer (Hey Yorick, sounds familiar )!! You are very "snottor on mode" (wise of mind) I read it too, but then again, I'm a student of English...
BTW Yorick, I think Tuesday comes from Tyr, a Norse/Germanic war god.
Wolfie, yes, if you know Norse/Swedish you can understand a lot of Old English, can't you? Did you know that even a sentence such as "they ate their eggs" (I've said it before in a different thread) is entirely derived from Old Norse?

Yep but I understand english better than both danish and norweigian.. Some people think me odd for this..

I usually say that I´m plain simply odd

(A fairly drunk Wolfie with a smile on his lips after seeing sooooo many beatiful ladies out tonight!)

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-10-2001, 05:13 PM   #43
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Cheers Vaskez,

I always learn new words in foreign languages on these threads, I love them. I used to be able to count to 20 in Japanese, but I can only rmemember as far as 5 now, my attempts at transliterations for 1 - 5 is as follows

1 itch
2 nee
3 san
4 chee
5 gor

Hehe, the question is can u pronounce them? LOL
Most english ppl are completely incapable it seems of pronouncing the sound "gy" in HUngarian as in "egy" (one). The way to pronounce it is like the "d" in "dew" as in the dew on the grass. But all those who I've spoken to cannot seem to transport the sound from english into another language. Hehe. If u wanna know anything else just ask.
Old 05-10-2001, 05:19 PM   #44
WOLFGIR

I once know how to count to 40 in Japanese, that is how many push ups we did at wrmiong up when I trained Karate..

Now I know some obscure Hebrew words from training Krav Maga... Don´t know what they mean or how to spell though..

------------------

Old 05-10-2001, 05:28 PM   #45
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Havent read all replies, but ill tell you about spanish.

Man is said "hombre", and it has always said "hombre" for designing the whole humans. For example, we say "El hombre ha ganado muchas batallas a la naturaleza" which literally means "the man has achieved so many wins against nature". Lately (last 1 or 2 years) feminism is rising (and i dont think its bad) so now we say more "La humanidad" (mankind) instead of "el hombre" (the man). This is happening with lotsa words. For example, "médico" (medic) or "juez" (judge) have always been words for both male and female, but now some people has started to say "jueza" and "médica" when theyre female (in spanish female words often end in "a", and male in "o"), which isnt correct in our language, but its politically correct.

RIKARD:
Uno
Dos
Tres
Cuatro
Cinco
Seis
Siete
Ocho
Nueve
Diez

------------------

You up ?? Beware !! When falling, better fall from down
Old 05-11-2001, 04:54 AM   #46
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hehe, the question is can u pronounce them? LOL
Most english ppl are completely incapable it seems of pronouncing the sound "gy" in HUngarian as in "egy" (one). The way to pronounce it is like the "d" in "dew" as in the dew on the grass. But all those who I've spoken to cannot seem to transport the sound from english into another language. Hehe. If u wanna know anything else just ask.
Yeah course I can pronounce them, thats how I made these transliterations based them on the phonetics

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 04:55 AM   #47
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
I once know how to count to 40 in Japanese, that is how many push ups we did at wrmiong up when I trained Karate..

Now I know some obscure Hebrew words from training Krav Maga... Don´t know what they mean or how to spell though..

Well that how I could coun't to twenty, the number of each exercise we would do, sit ups, press ups star jumps, Aggae Ukki etc

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 05:10 AM   #48
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Well that how I could coun't to twenty, the number of each exercise we would do, sit ups, press ups star jumps, Aggae Ukki etc

Ahh, thoose were the days! Hehehe..

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 05:14 AM   #49
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Ahh, thoose were the days! Hehehe..

Right pair of old warriors we are ,

Still wandering off topic here so to steer us back on track I gonna ask does anyone here speak Norwegian, as in my work have had to accept Norwegian text in our program, and it seems to contain some German and some Swedish, but I've only seen a small number of words, can anyone give more information on where most Norwegian words derive from.

------------------

Old 05-11-2001, 05:30 AM   #50
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Right pair of old warriors we are ,

Still wandering off topic here so to steer us back on track I gonna ask does anyone here speak Norwegian, as in my work have had to accept Norwegian text in our program, and it seems to contain some German and some Swedish, but I've only seen a small number of words, can anyone give more information on where most Norwegian words derive from.

Norwegian, is derived from Old norwegian, norse. It is basicly as old as all the rest of the Scandinavian languages. It has some influences from Swedish and you can also find Norwegian in Icelandic.
Due to to battles in the Scandinavian all languages bare traces of each other but also from German and french since we "borrowed" some royalties from there during some tougher years.

But basicly it has developed from far back as its own language.
But you better ask a Norewegian about this, they probably would hate a Swedish wolf-fan as meself to describe their language

------------------