Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2001, 02:25 AM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, since there's so many Monster polls going around, here's one for you: What's the most ANNOYING monster you've encountered in the game? (Not necessarily the most deadly).

My vote: the Nymphs and Gwylls. I can't stand their cutesy, baby-doll voices and snotty sayings anymore. My characters have taken to roasting them with Incinerate (!) spells at a distance just so we don't have to hear their yap. 99.44% of this game I love, but if I have to hear "Ooo new plaything" or "I'll take what I want when I want" one more time, I'm going to make violent use of a rock.

So, guys, do tell: what monsters get under your skin like a cocklebur? (Please, only monsters; I think we all know that Sabastio annoys us all equally, but he's an NPC.)

Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 02:33 AM   #2
adam mage

nymphs are supposed to be annoying so you'll kill them faster...

on my annoying list: wongurs (sp?) are annoying pack of little hairy piggies... hey! quit biting my ankles! the next is one of the Raiders saying: "you're outnumbered!"
duuuuhhh...there's 6 of us when there's one of them... oh no what am I gonna do?
he's sliced, diced, and put on ice.
Old 01-11-2001, 03:03 AM   #3
Moni

I agree with you both & I am adding the vomiting undead to the list.
Just gross!!!
The sounds they make are beyond irritating as well!
Old 01-11-2001, 03:09 AM   #4
adam mage

moni- man I forgot about the puking zombies!
ugh!
Old 01-11-2001, 04:35 AM   #5
carg
The Magister

I still hate encountering bats, just because targetting them is a pain. And the night bats you encounter first are hard to hit for a low level character, though they hardly give any Xp.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 11:18 AM   #6
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hiya!

I agree that the bats are just about the worst. Hard to hit, annoying as hell and crappy experience. I got really sick of fighting them really quick.

Other than that, I would have to say Erathsmedor. First time I was hunting for the Samurai wand, I encountered some amazoni mantraps. As I frantically ran while my characters became plant food, some swamp mucks breathed on me.

As I finally was running for all my might with a few characters barely alive, what is this? A cone of flame comes from the sky and roasts me like a peking duck. It wasn't long before the plants came and finished me off, but I really could have done without that dragon.

Maybe its better that I killed him.

I didn't like the Nymphs either...but I do enjoy having them try to steal something then dropping a Magma bomb on their head.

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 01:28 PM   #7
adam mage

you what's really annoying?
you're busy fighting the ratlings, raiders, and/or the trolls then all the sudden, your team's dead!

it turns out that three Amazoni Mantraps attacked me from behind and I couldn't see them on the map (with Spirit Eye) while I'm busy fighting...

my characters either should grow eyes on the back of their heads or fight back-to-back
Old 01-11-2001, 05:47 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Moni: I agree, I forgot about the vomiting Zombies (and Pharoahs later in the game too). The brown gook is pretty unsettling, I must say. I'd still rather have that than the insipid speech of the Nymphs...that makes ME want to puke in real life.

All in all, I'd say though, that the gross-out factor in W&W is much lower than I've seen in other games. There was a dungeon in Might and Magic 6 that I never had the stomach to finish, the degree of carnage in there was so hideous. I entered one room, just about threw up, did a "town portal" and never went back in. It wasn't a main quest dungeon, thank heavens. I'm glad Bradley has at least some taste.

Sazerac
Old 01-11-2001, 06:00 PM   #9
Gauleiter

LOL Saz there are a couple of dungeons in Might & Magic 6 that fit that description; I played through them all! That was a fun game, though I can see how nasty some of that coulda been with the lights turned out, etc...
Old 01-11-2001, 06:05 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Gauleiter: Yes, although the only one I couldn't finish was the one with the wolves (I think that's the one). It's when I hit their larder that I lost it. I almost uninstalled the game, LOL! (I did finish it out).

Whatever you can say about David Bradley, he is a gentleman designer. His efforts in the Wizardry series bear this out as well.

Sazerac.