Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

we have about 45% hispanics here, so we are not as bad as that, and there is such a thing as a wannabe cowboy? that is a first, they're either cowboys, or not, no in betweens
Old 06-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #12
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Well, if you want comparison. In the US a fag is a derogatory term used to refer to homosexuals, and in UK it's a cigarette. A hamburger in the US gets you a beef pattie where in UK it'll get you a sausage pattie.

Or how about in PA, USA if you're Pennsylvania Dutch instead of saying "Throw Papa's coat downstairs" you'd say "Throw Papa down the stairs, his coat"

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 06-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
we have about 45% hispanics here, so we are not as bad as that, and there is such a thing as a wannabe cowboy? that is a first, they're either cowboys, or not, no in betweens
Oh, no, not here (you figure they would all be "real" ones in San Antonio, but not the case). There's some that really are cowboys, but a whole bunch that put on cowboy hats and boots and try to act like they are. It's a way of life, not something you get from wearing the gear or going to a country bar (just like any other lifestyle). Many of them have not even been on top of a horse, much less know how to ride one. A good number couldn't tell you the first thing about NASCAR, bullriding, real down home cooking, etc. And many of them exaggerate their speech to make it more "southern". That's why I made my comment about wannabes; they are people that grew up in city neighborhoods that are acting like they grew up out on a ranch (i.e. posers like Vanilla Ice). I live on the edge of town, and have a bar on the edge of the neighborhood (it's one of the few safe zones where both bikers and real ranchers can both go and fighting is off limits). I go in there sometimes, and I'll just hang with some of the real hardcore biker gang members and real ranchers. They get a real kick out of both "Harley enthusiasts" (weekend bikers) and wannabe cowboys.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin