Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 02-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I was thinking of starting a thread akin to the belated Octagon thread that Cerek the Barbaric had going. This will in no way replace, that indispensible part of IW, but since there isn't something like that operating at the time, this could be some people's temporary repreive of boredom. Before I got it up and running I wanted to get the input from anyone interested in the idea. I would be willing to run it and DM an RP based on 2nd edition rules, that was basically a fight to the finish. I already some setting ideas in mind, but what I need from you, is some ideas. Mine are next to the questions in ( ).

-What interest would there be in participating in something like this?

-What level should characters start out as? (I am thinking around 9 or 10 so they would get some class bonuses)

-What weapondry should be allowed (right now I am thinking one magical item per battle, subject to DM approval, or in other words, nothing too powerful. and nothing above standard plate mail armor.)

-What classes/races would you like allowed to participate?

-How many stat points would the entrants be allowed to allocate to their score? (no ubers obviously)

What I have decided on that you can tell me whether you like or not.
1. there will be a money system, and item shop, the contents of which will be displayed when I start the thread.
2. Characters will start with a little bit of money, a different amount depending on what I roll for you [img]smile.gif[/img] and will gain money from each bout. They will get a certain amount if they lose and more if they win.
3. Characters will be able to purchase items from the shop to be used in battle, if they get enough money to buy it.
4. Characters can place bets on themselves and/or others through a NPC bookie type chacter that I control to get more $$
5. I will not be an active participant, merely a DM, therefore it will be completely impartial.

That is all the info I have for now, please feel free to share your ideas, they will be appreciated, if I do go ahead with this thread, it will be for your enjoyment so ideas are encouraged.

[ 02-11-2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe ]
Old 02-03-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Shit! I had a whole damn post here full of info, and it deleted because I am soooo stupid!!!!!!

Hell...Okay, lemme try to remember everything...

>I am in.
>I have no preferences, and think that you and I share the same ideas on many aspects of the arena.
>I think 3rd edition is cool, because if I wanted to play a drow paladin, then I should be able to.
>Magic items are okay, as long as you calculate their damage accordingly.
>Don't be a sell-out for a friend.
>I don't want any story-line...just pure kick-butt fights. I wanna advance to the next level, and be paired up against another victim.

That's all I can remember now. Shoot. I hate my slippery fingers...
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

actually mate I dont know 3rd ed rules, so we'll have to use 2nd, but I will be flexible with classes and such, so that if you want to play a drow antipaladin, ide most likely allow it. The thread will leave enough room for any additional story/character info you want to put up about your character, but I will not require any.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:00 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Sounds like a great Idea, Az, I greatly enjoy 2nd ed and don't own any 3e books or other source material (aside from NWN) perhaps 2nd ed with a house rule allowing any class/race combo (as long as you can meet the stat requirements)

I like the idea of higher level characters, but fear it would overpower certain classes (ie thieves would have little chance except in a "boiler room brawl" ie seek and destroy in an enclosed space, such as a warehouse) mages would be coming into their own as powerhouses, and finally able to compete with warriors, I do fear that it may make the battles a bit... one sided.

I think one magic item, of decent power (no greater than +3 weapons, or overly powerful wands/staves/rods)

as far as stat points, I feel the 85 point cap Cerek had is a god idea, and keeps characters balanced.

optional "monster" fights would be fun, ie a group of gladiators vs a horde of goblins, or even a young dragon they would definitely keep people coming back for more punishment.

the other things I think would work well. good luck generating interest enough to run the show.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:36 AM   #5
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

OK some good points morgy. in answer to a few of your questions just making #s so I make sure I get in all the answers I wanted to

#1 As DM I plan on taking magical weapons and the arena setting into consideration when I set up the battle. IE a 10th level bard vs a 10th level Berseker, the setting and/or chosen magical weapon would probably be allowed in the bard's favor to try to even the score so to say, so as not to allow all classes to use their abilities.

#2 I think 85 points is a good general max number for a limit. I will again potentially be flexible based on certain races/classes. This will not be set in stone, certain exceptions can/will be made. I like to be a fairly flexible DM.

#3 I'm certainly down with monsters. After a character proves themselves in single combat. I will definitely consider proposals for mutlicharacter battles, and VS monster battles.

#4 like the octagon there will be healers standing by, but there will also be a possibility of limbs being severed and accidental death, as always.

personally I'm pumped about the weapon shop idea, once somone gets enough money, I'm sure you will all appreciate it. I am going to put some pretty cool items in there. Also if there are any specific weapons/items requests for the magical items/weapons shops Ide be happy to have them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Please send more comments, I've been thinking about this for a while now, I think it will be a lot of fun, and give me something to do at work.
*whistles innocently*
Old 02-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #6
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Bump to try and get more interest. remember all you would really need to do is roll a character and pick your fights, maybe buy items. Any else have some ideas?
Old 02-04-2003, 05:58 PM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

as far as levels, I recommend that you have everyone start at a certain xp amount. (a thief with 10k xp is alot diferent than a 1st ed barbarian with 10k xp, ie lvl 5, vs lvl 2)
Old 02-05-2003, 10:16 PM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
I was thinking of starting a thread akin to the belated Octagon thread that Cerek the Barbaric had going. This will in no way replace, that indispensible part of IW, but since there isn't something like that operating at the time, this could be some people's temporary repreive of boredom. Before I got it up and running I wanted to get the input from anyone interested in the idea. I would be willing to run it and DM an RP based on 2nd edition rules, that was basically a fight to the finish. I already some setting ideas in mind, but what I need from you, is some ideas. Mine are next to the questions in ( ).
GREAT IDEA, AzRael! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I would love to see another "Arena-style" thread started in the RP forum. I have always felt that player vs player fights were the best, because both parties are going all out. Even in a PnP game, the DM is normally expecting his monster or NPC villains to lose - and that's how they are often played. But when it's my character vs your character, neither one of us is going to give an inch.

As much as I enjoyed the Octagon thread, it eventually reached the point where it was more work than entertainment. It seemed like I always had 3-4 fights lined up to do and a LOT of different class skills and abilities to keep up with. Then actually writing the "play by play" took an enormous amount of time. That's why I had to finally just take a break. A few months later, I grew tired of Roleplaying altogether. I ended up abandoning 3 different threads I was participating in. I just had to "break away" Roleplaying completely.

Still, I am very excited to see someone else take up challenge.

Quote:
-What interest would there be in participating in something like this?
You can count me in.

Quote:
-What level should characters start out as? (I am thinking around 9 or 10 so they would get some class bonuses)
I like the idea of equal Experience points as opposed to arbitrary levels. That would allow thieves a better chance in a one-on-one fight with a beserker or battlerager. Enough experience for 9-11 levels should give most characters a good chance for survival.

Quote:
-What weapondry should be allowed (right now I am thinking one magical item per battle, subject to DM approval, or in other words, nothing too powerful. and nothing above standard plate mail armor.)
I think this is reasonable. After all, any PnP 10th level character will have an entire room full of magic items, armor, and weapons. Allowing them to choose just one for Arena combat is very reasonable. It will also help to "even the odds" that much more between the different classes.

Quote:
-What classes/races would you like allowed to participate?
Even though I was strictly a 1st Edition PnP gamer, I never liked the racial restrictions and class limitations (a dwarf is unlimited as a thief but can't advance past 10th level as a fighter Gimme a break).
I tried to allow any race/class combination - as long as it was reasonable. I based a lot of what was acceptable on the race/class combos available in BGII...if you could do it there, you could do it in the Octagon.

Quote:
-How many stat points would the entrants be allowed to allocate to their score? (no ubers obviously)
I still feel 85 points is a good limit. If you want, you could allow racial bonuses over and above this. That would allow characters to have one "exceptional" stat and still have good scores in the others as well.

Quote:
What I have decided on that you can tell me whether you like or not.
1. there will be a money system, and item shop, the contents of which will be displayed when I start the thread.
2. Characters will start with a little bit of money, a different amount depending on what I roll for you [img]smile.gif[/img] and will gain money from each bout. They will get a certain amount if they lose and more if they win.
3. Characters will be able to purchase items from the shop to be used in battle, if they get enough money to buy it.
4. Characters can place bets on themselves and/or others through a NPC bookie type chacter that I control to get more $$
5. I will not be an active participant, merely a DM, therefore it will be completely impartial.
This is a very good idea....and far more realistic than the system I used. Those that want more items (or more expensive ones) will have to sign up for more fights in order to earn enough money to buy them.

I also like the idea of just having a straight-out, in your face, character vs character battle thread. I have been desparately searching through the software games at the local Wal-Mart for a game like this...and they are almost impossible to find. Even games like Ultimate Battle (or something like that) involve more than just straight fighting. You can build and maneuver troops and other miscellaneous stuff.

NO THANK YOU! I just want to go in and KILL somebody - then go in and kill somebody else!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #9
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Well, with 3 people that mean we will be able to run at least 3 fights without another participant at this point which is fine by me. I should have everything I want to have organized done by monday, so look for the thread to appear over the weekend. I am definitely looking for more participants, but I feel its is best to get the ball rolling, and also I'm sure 'once I build it, they will come'

[ 02-06-2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe ]
Old 02-07-2003, 01:53 AM   #10
chi master
Zhentarim Guard

I'm Happy to fight but i've never played any sort of D&D/AD&D so could someone teach me?