Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2001, 05:17 PM   #1
Ertai, Wizard Adept

ANOTHER CHAPTER IN THE FIGHTERS VS MAGES THING:

Well next friday i have an exam that SURE i wont pass , so this morning ive started playing with a single sorceror. Ive already played 6 days (game time) and i have about 800000 xp (lvl 12), and i can tell you that its great !! Those are the things that ive already completed:

- Starting dungeons (i used yoshimo, but only for trap detecting and opening locks, didnt let him fight , and when i went out i dropped him)
- Killed the guys in the seven dales (summoned air elemental with the scroll, and 1 cloudkill from the wand and then some normal magic emotion, magic missile etc)
- The circus (just easy)
- The slaves quest in the slums (had some problems with the captain and his guys, but finally did it)
- In the docks, Renal´s quest and the house of the mage (the one with 2 apprentices and 3 goblins *lol*)

Now i have some major equipment (vecna, staff +4, girdle of frost giant) and im planning going to trademeet.

I LOVE SORCERORS !!!

PS: if i see that people reply and gets interested in this, i will update this topic with my progresses, If not, i will think i will have to tell them to my dog

Old 01-31-2001, 08:32 PM   #2
BLACK KNIGHT

I am interested. What is the difference between a Sorceror and a Mage? Are their difference spells or just the number of spells?

Other question: How is the along the lines of Mages vs Fighter if you PC is a Sorceror?

Just a thought . . .

Old 01-31-2001, 08:44 PM   #3
Turin_Mormegil

Im very intrested in how this ends up turning out...i had a sorcerer level 12 i think but i found him very repetitive to play....i ended up using fireball to blast stuff in fog of war....i kinda find that not being able to learn new spells is a hinderance but very probably once you do get stuff stuff like delayed fireball, time stop and various death spells having like 6 of em instead of 1 can be way kool. never played it till it got good cuz i got stuck on the end of my stronghold quest...

Ide love to hear how your sorcerer fares in the later part of the game....if its all good i might restart my sorc

Old 02-01-2001, 03:30 AM   #4
Entreri
Manshoon

And where can I find the Guirdle of Frosty Giant ?? Never did I found it before.
Old 02-01-2001, 04:06 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Entreri, the Girdle of Frost Giant Strength is on a demon knight that you summon in the Kuo Tua dungeon of the Underdark. Place an animal sacrifice in front of the statue of Demogorgon and see what happens.

Ertai, I found that the sorcerer actually was LESS flexible and MORE limiting than the mage for all round play. The sorcerer excels the most as a battlemage, with Invocation type spells like Fireball, Chain Lightning, etc or Skull Traps, AbiDalzim etc. that you can use to deal out magical damage to an opponent or group of opponents in combat. Kind of an artillery mage who can dish out 5 chain lightnings in a row. In terms of flexibility the lack of spell choices really limit his effectiveness ex-combat. Once you get to the top of the cap you can only choose 2 level 8 spells, and it's at the top end of the spellcasting table that the really kickass spells are. He's best used to complement an existing mage, not replace him.

If you want to remove the cap and hack a powerful wizard, THEN the sorcerer's the way to go!
Old 02-01-2001, 05:17 PM   #6
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Entreri, yes Memnoch is right about the girdle, but i said it wrong !! the girdle that i have is the hill giant (str 19) bought from the adventurers mart. Im not cheating !!

And Memnoch, i know that a normal mage might be better, but i wanted to play a sorceror because
1- i have a special feeling about them, dont ask me why
2- as im playing solo, i NEED a good flexibility, because for example i might need to become invisible, or cast a stone skin if im in a bad situation, but in other situations i might need horror or emotion, and things like this. With a mage i couldnt do this.
3- when i finish, i want to remove the xp cap and play solo again with my dear sorceror (btw, his name is Ertai ) but in DEMENTIAL difficulty.

Im glad that at least a pair of people have got interested in this, but today i havent had much time and the only thing ive done has been the graveyards, not very though.

Old 02-02-2001, 05:06 PM   #7
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

BBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPp
m,y friend
Send him when your finished i'll sned Rikard and Kaël someday when i'm done
Old 02-02-2001, 05:42 PM   #8
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

BBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPp
m,y friend
Send him when your finished i'll sned Rikard and Kaël someday when i'm done
Old 02-02-2001, 05:48 PM   #9
Ertai, Wizard Adept

My computer is going mad or this board is going mad ?? or maybe rikard is going mad ??

SEE THIS... double posting BUT...the first one has been posted at 5:06 PM...and the second one at 5:42 PM... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ?!?!?!