Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 12:13 AM   #11
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Sounds like an allergic reaction, possibly to a sting or bite. I know someone with a severe allergy to bee stings who had similar symptoms when stung, but more extreme. Has he been bitten or stung by an insect or spider recently? But medical opinions from amatuers can be counter productive. GET HIM TO A HOSPITAL
Old 06-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #12
SecretMaster
Apophis

Thanx, will do. He takes advil every 3 hrs or so to reduce his fever.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 AM   #13
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

ok maybe they have looked for this, i don't know but have they tested for diptheria? it is rare but if he has not had a tetnus shot recently (last 10 years) it is possible. i had strep throat earlier this year that mimicked dptheria and now i am waiting ot have the money to get my tetnus shot.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:36 AM   #14
Animal
Gold Dragon

It's called Strep. You need to get him to an ER, ASAP! Antibiotics can usually cure it when it's caught quickly, but after this amount of time, IV antibiotics are the only answer.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:03 AM   #15
Donut
Jack Burton

Having worked in the health service for over 15 years and having read some of the posts here I have to return to the age old question:

Why the hell would you take advice from complete strangers on a message board when you won't believe what 3 doctors have told you?!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #16
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I have to agree with Donut. I feel very uncomfortable about people diagnosing and prescribing medication, even over-the-counter stuff to someone whose symptoms they know from a second-hand account of them, and who are not in any way medical professionals. Especially when 3 doctors have given similar advice and your parents seem to be confident with that advice. I don't think you should be adding in any more medications at all - you said he has something prescribed by a doctor, you can't expect it to have an effect immediately.

[ 06-05-2004, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 06-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

And I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon and say WELL SAID Donut and Aelia. I have asked for advice on a sore throat here myself at one time, but more in the way of grandmother's wisdom like ginger tea or something. If I seriously have a question about my health the only person I'd ask is a doctor. It has me stumped too that non-medics are just "prescribing" treatments here.
Try a silverfoil hat, I'd say.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:34 AM   #18
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Maybe he has a rash inside his throat or like Larry_OHF said.."an allergic reaction to something".
He should try swallowing some vodka (although I know it is strong, but it will help).
The vodka should kill the bad bacteria, and any nasties in there....it may sting if the throat is swollen....but that is a good sign.
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 06-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Let me see!!

Difficulty in breathing.
Worse at night,
Keeps him awake.

I'm guessing he's coughing, there will be some phlegm!

I wonder what it could be!!!

Seriously, some of the diagnoses given here are hilarious!!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-06-2004, 11:47 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL Donut Hmmm... could be a hairball [img]smile.gif[/img]

On a more serious note, in addition to the "talk to a doctor" suggestions, you might try talking with your parents about it, SecretMaster, and asking them to explain to you so you understand why it's not so serious. That's important -- not just to explain, but to explain so you understand.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.